Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #1

Sofia , Sofia
Send a message via Skype™ to DaniHR
Boondocks - crossing USA from West to the East

Hello Dear All

First of All I would like to say that I am new in this forum. Second, I would like to ask for your advices.
My friend and I are planing to visit USA, we are from Bulgaria, Europe and would like to cross USA with RV in this direction Los Angeles – Yosemite – Death Valley National Park – Las Vegas – Grand Canyon National Park – Bryce Canyon – Arches National Park- Denver - Salt Lake City – Yellowstone National Park – Sioux City – Chicago-Niagara Falls – Toronto – Montreal – Boston – New York
1. What do you think for the places. We don't have time limit and we are thinking to spent 1 month in USA
2. From where is the best option to rent RV C class
3. Can you help us with any specific rules for camping and boondocks in these areas, because we know only Europe rules :-)
4. We will be very glad if you share with us any additional things that may exist in USA regarding RV and boondocks.

Thank you very much
DaniHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

My advise...don't worry too much about "rules" the RV folks here are a GREAT group, you'll be an expert in no time...common sense the only requirement.

One important point....you may find the USA much bigger than one month.
Your itinerary just may require more time.
On our trips we have found the folks from across the pond some of the most enjoyable camping companions.

Cruise America.

Bob

On edit.....look for the "silver tubes", stop and say Hi, we love to meet fellow travelers.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
South , South Dakota
road trip

Small towns and two lane roads and talk to the locals is the best advice I can give you.

Have fun !!
Hope to see you on the road
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree that a month is a short period of time to do all that you plan. We're a big country. If you don't have a time limit, might be good to slow down a bit.

We rented a small class C RV for a week from Cruise America 7-8 years ago. Expensive but got the job done.

We met a couple on the east coast once who were campground owners from England. They had spent 8 weeks crossing the country in a Class C they purchased in California and were shipping it back to England. Buying a good used RV, then selling it before you leave, might be another option.

As for rules and expectations here, I would find a good, comprehensive book to use as a resource, and add to it/get answers to questions as you get farther into this.

Good luck!

Maggie
Old 04-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniHR View Post
Hello Dear All

First of All I would like to say that I am new in this forum. Second, I would like to ask for your advices.
My friend and I are planing to visit USA, we are from Bulgaria, Europe and would like to cross USA with RV in this direction Los Angeles – Yosemite – Death Valley National Park – Las Vegas – Grand Canyon National Park – Bryce Canyon – Arches National Park- Denver - Salt Lake City – Yellowstone National Park – Sioux City – Chicago-Niagara Falls – Toronto – Montreal – Boston – New York
1. What do you think for the places. We don't have time limit and we are thinking to spent 1 month in USA
2. From where is the best option to rent RV C class
3. Can you help us with any specific rules for camping and boondocks in these areas, because we know only Europe rules :-)
4. We will be very glad if you share with us any additional things that may exist in USA regarding RV and boondocks.

Thank you very much
Ran across this today on Amazon...thought it might be helpful in planning your trip, good luck!!!

Bob
Old 04-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
You have picked great places to see! But yes, plan on more time if you can afford it, or you will just be driving most of the time.

For philosophy, read the book "Blue Highways" - which is not about the places you will see, but more about "backroads USA."

Do introduce yourselves to people in campgrounds along the way - you will find US RV travel / camping folks to be very friendly. The will feed you and give you great tips on places to see and things to do that are not in the "official guidebooks."

Have fun!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Look at the scale of a map of the US and find one of your country in the same scale. This will help you plan the trip more easily.

A google map of your trip says that it will take 4 days and 5 hours. That adds up to over 100 hours just for driving, with more time needed for sleeping, eating and sightseeing.

Here's the google map of your desired destinations to give an idea of the travel time between each place. You will probably want to add more time for your trip or see fewer places.