Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2015, 12:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
We as humans do the same as the dogs do. Cover scents ,i.e. perfume and colognes are a huge business. Dogs use them as camouflage whereas we use them to broadcast our presence. Some people must actually marinate themselves in it. I have met them. Smelled them as soon as they walked in the door, and I was in the back of the shop. A bit of B.O. is sometimes easier on the nose than a gallon of Brut or Chanel.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Cats in the kettle by Wierd Al Yankovich.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Or, as ALF was known to say, "I love cats....pass the plum sauce!"

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
We have one dog and two cats. The cats smell much worse than the dog. I have an Australian Kelpie, close relation to the OPs two heelers. Because I can bathe my dog and brush his teeth my dog ALWAYS smells better than the two cats. In between his grooming visits I use baby wipes with a spray if he gets funky. All our animals eat fish based foods, but the dog doesn't smell fishy. The cats have never been bathed, and despite all the grooming they do for themselves, they still smell. One of them has terrible dandruff and this gets worse if we brush her. She sheds horribly though and needs brushing. I tried changing her food to improve her skin and coat, she just refuses to eat. I gave Chris Brewers Yeast capsules for her, she won't take it in her food and he says it's too much trouble to make her take a pill everyday. *sigh*
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #24
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
De-Skunking Recipe

Been there, done that more times than desired. Along the way I've learned the tomato juice/sauce and vinegar tricks do not apply to skunk odor. Professional products, e.g., OdorKlenz, work well on fabrics/carpets post-encounter. The best method for the dog is multiple sudsings with the following recipe. It may take four or more wash/rinse cycles.

Combine:
1/2 quart hydrogen peroxide,
1/8 cup of baking soda, and
1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap
until the baking soda is completely dissolved.

Apply liberally to the affected area (be careful of eyes) and allow to soak for about ten minutes before agitating to a foam. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

FYI - The peroxide will discolor darker fur so be warned of the new look your grooming method will produce.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
PammieSue... avoid giving your dog any chicken scraps mixed with their regular meal. Just some advice when your 32.5 footer still has some value to you.

Those who fish with Blue Heelers. You lay a fish down after a long day to catch one trout... they will eat the head off in seconds once you turn your back to let everyone know you caught something. Headless trout fishing still remains illegal.

SeeMore. Your recipe does work, but toss the drying towel away and unless you have a cold or sinus infection... it takes weeks for the last few molecules to enter the atmosphere. Our older Heeler has had a direct head shot twice in eleven years and I was led to believe that an old dog could learn new tricks. Like avoiding getting too close a look when trouble looks familiar.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #26
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Indeed, the towel must go as well as your clothes sometimes. OdorKlenz is for the trailer spot where your best friend resides later in the day. No need if you have vinyl flooring.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I say "stinking Dog" with the affection that we all share for our partners of a camping experience on or off the grid.

We have two Blue Heelers, aka Australian Cattle Dogs. They shed so much hair that they should be bare skin. You wonder why nature gave them the ability to shed hair, while humans go through great efforts to save what hair they were born.

As Blue Heelers are primarily herding and working dogs... they have some quirks that are not in the "job description".

When camped off the grid, we let them out of the Pet Porters and they get some running around to loosen up muscles and catch a breath.

-Dingo will find a dusty section and roll into it until he goes from a black/white/brown natural color to the color of the dirt. Usually in the West... RED. You would not recognize him. Eventually he, or the female Blue, will shake the dust off over time. Into the trailer.

-Whenever there are cattle in the area, beware. They will seek out the freshest cow patty and... roll the nape of their neck into it. Sometimes... roll into it and they become green. Not green in envy... but green in Cow Patty Pie. Disgusting, but it earns a dunk in the creek or get a multiple soap and water cleansing.

Once this cleansing is performed, dried and fresh... you had better keep a watchful eye on a repeat performance.

-If the Cow Patty Pie roll is not disgusting enough... something dead that still retains the smell of a recent road kill, baked in the sun to a ripe fragrant smell of death. Again, the nape of the neck is the preferred spot. Obviously a way to conceal their civilized scent to that of Mother Natures best disguises off the grid.

-Skunks.... for some reason seem to be slow moving and... interesting. When dogs meet they must check out the posteriors for a permanent ID. The well marked skunk is obvious to Humans. When checking ID... the skunk lets them have it. Almost always the face... and if it is a direct shot to the open mouth... the foaming at the mouth is obvious, as one or both Heelers are wanting entry into the trailer or open pickup door left open while unpacking. As if this will reverse the procedure while looking like rabid canines.

Most Trailer owners seem to have smaller or larger dogs that have no interest in these rituals of Dog Camping. Ours... I am afraid are not as cultivated. By the time you discover this quirk of Dog nature... they are in the trailer and rolling on anything to remove the excess...

When you consider how you may "stink" on a carefully planned camp Off the Grid to conserve water... your dog(s) can find a way to add a bit of mystery to their ways to help. Maybe... we should repeat what dogs do. There could be some benefit that we do not understand.
We have a Kelpie, Turbo is a cousin to your Cattle Dogs. The first time he rolled in a long dead and decaying carcass on one of our hikes as a puppy I did a couple of things, (besides near retching). I put him back on a leash, and removed my affection. He stunk too much for hugs and kisses, and I felt he could not be trusted off leash for the rest of that day. These were natural outcomes of his actions, not anything I planned. He didn't get loved on again until after a bath that night. Apparently this made an impression on his tiny puppy mind, because while he still eagerly approaches smelly things and dead things for a sniff, he has never attempted to roll in them ever again, even when off leash. Thank you Jesus!

This is not to say that he isn't a smelly dog occasionally, he is after all, a dog. He smells worst after river trips when we hike and fish and go swimming. And living in a tiny warm metal box means that if he smells bad, inside he smells 10x worse. I use Nature's Miracle Wet Dog Odor Remover for stank between grooming visits, (which happen about 8 to 10 weeks apart). I spray him down damp to wet, and use baby wipes to rub it in thoroughly. Then I just let it air dry. I am having difficulties finding this particular product lately, but Nature's Miracle has a plethora of odor removing products, cleaners and shampoos/conditioners, wipes, and colognes, and etc; you may find another cleaner/odor remover that works for you. I will say that I didn't like the skunk odor remover, it smelled bad to me and didn't seem to clean Turbo as well, but that may be personal preference. Turbo has never been skunked. My son was skunked when he was a teen, we deskunked him with balsamic vinegar.

Oh look, this website DOES have my spray, and at a very reasonable price since it's on sale. I'm going to buy several bottles if they are going to discontinue it.

Natures Miracle Pet Products Online | Discount Store | Stain & Odor Remover, Wipes, Housebreaking Pads

Natures Miracle Nature's Miracle Wet Dog Odor Remover Dog Deodorizer & Cologne
Old 12-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
PammieSue... avoid giving your dog any chicken scraps mixed with their regular meal. Just some advice when your 32.5 footer still has some value to you.

Those who fish with Blue Heelers. You lay a fish down after a long day to catch one trout... they will eat the head off in seconds once you turn your back to let everyone know you caught something. Headless trout fishing still remains illegal.

SeeMore. Your recipe does work, but toss the drying towel away and unless you have a cold or sinus infection... it takes weeks for the last few molecules to enter the atmosphere. Our older Heeler has had a direct head shot twice in eleven years and I was led to believe that an old dog could learn new tricks. Like avoiding getting too close a look when trouble looks familiar.
There's a problem with chicken scraps? He doesn't get people food, I don't let him beg, but occasionally I will give him meat scraps of various meats. After our meal is over and I am cleaning up, I will save up stuff to add to one of his meals later. Giving him anything during our meal teaches him to beg. His food is TOTW Pacific Stream, basically Salmon, no grain at all.

On towels used with dogs. I wash ALL my laundry with an added 2 to 3 cups of white vinegar in the wash cycle, plus a cup of borax. This removes all odors and adds a real freshness to our clean clothes. For moldy towels, or dog towels, or gym clothes, or anything that is particularly smelly, 4 or 5 cups white vinegar in the wash cycle plus 2 cups borax. You really don't need to increase the soap if you do this. Trust me, Turbos towels are our towels. I have never had to throw away any towel or clothing away for smell, all my laundry smells great.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Here is a coupon for the website where I found my Nature's Miracle products on sale (up to 70% off). Yes, you can use the coupon on sale items, I just did. Coupon takes 10% off, (up to $10 dollars off).
Redirecting to store...
Old 12-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
P...S: We never waste any trimmings from beef or chicken. We slip a couple pieces into their morning or afternoon Costco dog food servings, until they run out. Chicken gives our Heelers gas. That is a problem when they ride in their Pet Porter on the back seat of the pickup. Almost like the Yankovich song, but in a way a dog can understand.

Gym Clothes... stink? That belongs in the other "People Stinking Thread"... ask any guy who had to change into Gym Clothes during High School and provided their own towels how many times these were taken home to... wash. If it was by the threat of the Coach... maybe twice.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:09 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Turbo has turrible TURRIBLE gas lately, I swear something dead crawled up his butt and died twice more. I haven't given him anything recently, must question the significant other . . .

ROFLMAO! well you'll just need to tape that for us!

Humans are mammals, so they ARE animals. And when we go to the gym we sweat and stink. Some worse than others. *giggles*
Old 12-03-2015, 03:38 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Lab, obedience trained-- no problems

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My bed!! (2).JPG
Views:	101
Size:	493.8 KB
ID:	253248  
Old 12-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
carver 1. Lab's never left the 1960's. They are mellow, friendly and love to be with people. Give people time and they will find a way to make them more like humans.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:18 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Ray,

Bodie is our 4th Lab over the years. You must be a Lab person yourself.

>>ron<<