Old 11-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Stinking Dog: becomes Man's Best Friend to clean

I did a Thread sometime back about pulling Porcupine quills from our Heelers. "Porcupine Brothers" I recall was the title, with photographs.

I recommend using a wide pair of pliers to pull them. When there are a number of them, pulling them one at a time will eventually make YOU the bad guy, rather than the Porcupine! These quills that are pulled out... rinse them off the pliers in a bowl. The saliva from your dog makes them stick to anything... and you will discover next that you require a few being pulled out of your hand.

Now Brent (Thalweg)... maybe you have the Buffalo Skunk in mind. Not the typical stinking Rocky Mountain Skunk. Did it have horns?

Those who volunteer to bathe the Skunk Stench from their dog:

Wives... remember... a dog IS "Man's Best Friend". Not yours, during times of duress, which this would qualify. After the washing... your husband will smell worse than the dog being washed. Wear something you can throw away, as when man's best friend begins to shake the water off... you and everything within ten feet are contaminated.

Now I notice whippet201 reading this thread. They are short haired and probably never would stink.

For those evenings in your trailer slumbering in a deep sleep... you obviously are breathing through your nose. Many times your best buddy is laying next to the bed, or for those who are much braver than myself on the bed, have this creature with the hair nape emitting a stink that only a chemist might have created in Transylvania. The... discovered it too late to notice... stink before morning. As a preventive measure while Boondocking... someone give your dog a through sniff test. Once this mystery smell is rubbed against the rugs, yourself, your bedspread... your couch... it is much too late. You are in serious trouble.

Then refer to the Thread... about stinking Airstream owners and Black/Grey water conservation. This stink puts you into the Stinking Dog part of the spectrum, not human. Every dog within the campsite will come to rub your scent to take home. Share it. Those so called friends, like Thalweg... let them figure it out on their own. You, your stinking dog and trailer will fit right into the camping experience.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Thanks again for your posts!

Old 11-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post

Thanks Maggie, I am going to look into the Petco water-less idea.

-Dennis
I have never had to use this after a skunk encounter, but it has worked with duck poop....Lily's favorite.

Maggie
Old 11-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Inverness , Florida
The truth, unfortunately, about skunk spray is that it gets absorbed into the hair shaft. You wash the worst off (use cleansing substance of your choice) and the dog is presentable when dry, after a while, but you will still smell it when the dog gets wet. The odor will not be completely gone until your canine buddy has shed EVERY STINKING hair that got sprayed. I found this out the year my shepherd gave me a skunk for my birthday, he didn't smell sweet until my next birthday, cause that's how long it takes to have shed and regrown all of it, and a German shepherd has LOTS of hair. Actually to be accurate, I should say fur.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Stinking Cats and Dogs...

CanineCoach... OK smarty pants. You got that one nailed.

But... what about we Hairless Apes? ... and some more hairless than others, I might add. Oh well. It was a bad idea to begin with.

No one has discussed Felines of the World, yet. With their obsessive grooming and coughing hairballs... is this considered a major evolutionary stage of carnivores, exceeding the Stinking Dog situation we have been discussing? With the Canine (Dog to the layman) as Man's Best Friend, it leaves this snarling nocturnal as Woman's Best Friend?

As a wise old man sipping his Jack Daniels was known to mutter in his sleep... "So many cats. So few recipes."

His wife found him dead the next day, buried under hair balls. Need I say any more?
Old 11-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Or, as ALF was known to say, "I love cats....pass the plum sauce!"

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
We as humans do the same as the dogs do. Cover scents ,i.e. perfume and colognes are a huge business. Dogs use them as camouflage whereas we use them to broadcast our presence. Some people must actually marinate themselves in it. I have met them. Smelled them as soon as they walked in the door, and I was in the back of the shop. A bit of B.O. is sometimes easier on the nose than a gallon of Brut or Chanel.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Old 12-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Or, as ALF was known to say, "I love cats....pass the plum sauce!"

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
We have one dog and two cats. The cats smell much worse than the dog. I have an Australian Kelpie, close relation to the OPs two heelers. Because I can bathe my dog and brush his teeth my dog ALWAYS smells better than the two cats. In between his grooming visits I use baby wipes with a spray if he gets funky. All our animals eat fish based foods, but the dog doesn't smell fishy. The cats have never been bathed, and despite all the grooming they do for themselves, they still smell. One of them has terrible dandruff and this gets worse if we brush her. She sheds horribly though and needs brushing. I tried changing her food to improve her skin and coat, she just refuses to eat. I gave Chris Brewers Yeast capsules for her, she won't take it in her food and he says it's too much trouble to make her take a pill everyday. *sigh*

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #24
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
De-Skunking Recipe

Been there, done that more times than desired. Along the way I've learned the tomato juice/sauce and vinegar tricks do not apply to skunk odor. Professional products, e.g., OdorKlenz, work well on fabrics/carpets post-encounter. The best method for the dog is multiple sudsings with the following recipe. It may take four or more wash/rinse cycles.

Combine:
1/2 quart hydrogen peroxide,
1/8 cup of baking soda, and
1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap
until the baking soda is completely dissolved.

Apply liberally to the affected area (be careful of eyes) and allow to soak for about ten minutes before agitating to a foam. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

FYI - The peroxide will discolor darker fur so be warned of the new look your grooming method will produce.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
PammieSue... avoid giving your dog any chicken scraps mixed with their regular meal. Just some advice when your 32.5 footer still has some value to you.

Those who fish with Blue Heelers. You lay a fish down after a long day to catch one trout... they will eat the head off in seconds once you turn your back to let everyone know you caught something. Headless trout fishing still remains illegal.

SeeMore. Your recipe does work, but toss the drying towel away and unless you have a cold or sinus infection... it takes weeks for the last few molecules to enter the atmosphere. Our older Heeler has had a direct head shot twice in eleven years and I was led to believe that an old dog could learn new tricks. Like avoiding getting too close a look when trouble looks familiar.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #26
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Indeed, the towel must go as well as your clothes sometimes. OdorKlenz is for the trailer spot where your best friend resides later in the day. No need if you have vinyl flooring.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I say "stinking Dog" with the affection that we all share for our partners of a camping experience on or off the grid.

We have two Blue Heelers, aka Australian Cattle Dogs. They shed so much hair that they should be bare skin. You wonder why nature gave them the ability to shed hair, while humans go through great efforts to save what hair they were born.

As Blue Heelers are primarily herding and working dogs... they have some quirks that are not in the "job description".

When camped off the grid, we let them out of the Pet Porters and they get some running around to loosen up muscles and catch a breath.

-Dingo will find a dusty section and roll into it until he goes from a black/white/brown natural color to the color of the dirt. Usually in the West... RED. You would not recognize him. Eventually he, or the female Blue, will shake the dust off over time. Into the trailer.

-Whenever there are cattle in the area, beware. They will seek out the freshest cow patty and... roll the nape of their neck into it. Sometimes... roll into it and they become green. Not green in envy... but green in Cow Patty Pie. Disgusting, but it earns a dunk in the creek or get a multiple soap and water cleansing.

Once this cleansing is performed, dried and fresh... you had better keep a watchful eye on a repeat performance.

-If the Cow Patty Pie roll is not disgusting enough... something dead that still retains the smell of a recent road kill, baked in the sun to a ripe fragrant smell of death. Again, the nape of the neck is the preferred spot. Obviously a way to conceal their civilized scent to that of Mother Natures best disguises off the grid.

-Skunks.... for some reason seem to be slow moving and... interesting. When dogs meet they must check out the posteriors for a permanent ID. The well marked skunk is obvious to Humans. When checking ID... the skunk lets them have it. Almost always the face... and if it is a direct shot to the open mouth... the foaming at the mouth is obvious, as one or both Heelers are wanting entry into the trailer or open pickup door left open while unpacking. As if this will reverse the procedure while looking like rabid canines.

Most Trailer owners seem to have smaller or larger dogs that have no interest in these rituals of Dog Camping. Ours... I am afraid are not as cultivated. By the time you discover this quirk of Dog nature... they are in the trailer and rolling on anything to remove the excess...

When you consider how you may "stink" on a carefully planned camp Off the Grid to conserve water... your dog(s) can find a way to add a bit of mystery to their ways to help. Maybe... we should repeat what dogs do. There could be some benefit that we do not understand.
We have a Kelpie, Turbo is a cousin to your Cattle Dogs. The first time he rolled in a long dead and decaying carcass on one of our hikes as a puppy I did a couple of things, (besides near retching). I put him back on a leash, and removed my affection. He stunk too much for hugs and kisses, and I felt he could not be trusted off leash for the rest of that day. These were natural outcomes of his actions, not anything I planned. He didn't get loved on again until after a bath that night. Apparently this made an impression on his tiny puppy mind, because while he still eagerly approaches smelly things and dead things for a sniff, he has never attempted to roll in them ever again, even when off leash. Thank you Jesus!

This is not to say that he isn't a smelly dog occasionally, he is after all, a dog. He smells worst after river trips when we hike and fish and go swimming. And living in a tiny warm metal box means that if he smells bad, inside he smells 10x worse. I use Nature's Miracle Wet Dog Odor Remover for stank between grooming visits, (which happen about 8 to 10 weeks apart). I spray him down damp to wet, and use baby wipes to rub it in thoroughly. Then I just let it air dry. I am having difficulties finding this particular product lately, but Nature's Miracle has a plethora of odor removing products, cleaners and shampoos/conditioners, wipes, and colognes, and etc; you may find another cleaner/odor remover that works for you. I will say that I didn't like the skunk odor remover, it smelled bad to me and didn't seem to clean Turbo as well, but that may be personal preference. Turbo has never been skunked. My son was skunked when he was a teen, we deskunked him with balsamic vinegar.

Oh look, this website DOES have my spray, and at a very reasonable price since it's on sale. I'm going to buy several bottles if they are going to discontinue it.

Natures Miracle Pet Products Online | Discount Store | Stain & Odor Remover, Wipes, Housebreaking Pads

Natures Miracle Nature's Miracle Wet Dog Odor Remover Dog Deodorizer & Cologne

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
Old 12-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
PammieSue... avoid giving your dog any chicken scraps mixed with their regular meal. Just some advice when your 32.5 footer still has some value to you.

Those who fish with Blue Heelers. You lay a fish down after a long day to catch one trout... they will eat the head off in seconds once you turn your back to let everyone know you caught something. Headless trout fishing still remains illegal.

SeeMore. Your recipe does work, but toss the drying towel away and unless you have a cold or sinus infection... it takes weeks for the last few molecules to enter the atmosphere. Our older Heeler has had a direct head shot twice in eleven years and I was led to believe that an old dog could learn new tricks. Like avoiding getting too close a look when trouble looks familiar.
There's a problem with chicken scraps? He doesn't get people food, I don't let him beg, but occasionally I will give him meat scraps of various meats. After our meal is over and I am cleaning up, I will save up stuff to add to one of his meals later. Giving him anything during our meal teaches him to beg. His food is TOTW Pacific Stream, basically Salmon, no grain at all.

On towels used with dogs. I wash ALL my laundry with an added 2 to 3 cups of white vinegar in the wash cycle, plus a cup of borax. This removes all odors and adds a real freshness to our clean clothes. For moldy towels, or dog towels, or gym clothes, or anything that is particularly smelly, 4 or 5 cups white vinegar in the wash cycle plus 2 cups borax. You really don't need to increase the soap if you do this. Trust me, Turbos towels are our towels. I have never had to throw away any towel or clothing away for smell, all my laundry smells great.