Old 03-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #1

1994 30' Excella
Hanahan , South Carolina
Boondocking with C-Pap

My wife must use a C-Pap machine (breathing machine) at night which makes boondocking a bit "tricky." Has anyone used a "jump start power pack;" and if so, what brand/size do you recommend? Thanks for any information on this subject.

Toppy

Old 03-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I have a big battery pack I use for a nebulizer and sewing machine, you can recharge off the car battery. I boondock about 100 nights a year. Sbb

Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
My wife must use a C-Pap machine (breathing machine) at night which makes boondocking a bit "tricky." Has anyone used a "jump start power pack;" and if so, what brand/size do you recommend? Thanks for any information on this subject.

Toppy
I have a jump-start power pack that's part of my hurricane kit.

If you're powering medical equipment from it, then the only viable answer on size is, "the most amp-hours you can afford."

Harbor Freight offers a Gen-Tech on sale for about $50, with peak 900 cold-cranking amps, and 17 amp-hours continuous. The built-in light is a nice touch, too. Sears offers a Die-Hard model with 950 cold-cranking amps, and 18 amp-hours for double the money; you don't get much extra capacity for the jump in price.

17~18 amp-hours doesn't give you a lot of reserve capacity compared to a house battery for powering essential equipment. About the only advantage is, it's a lot more portable than a house battery.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
An important question is whether your wife's CPAP takes a 12V input, or requires 120V AC. If I were selecting a CPAP machine now, I'd look for one that actually operates on 12V DC and has a "power brick" that converts 120V AC down to 12V DC. That makes battery operation simple.

However, I ended up with a CPAP machine that is not only 120V, but picky about having pure-sine input power, so I bought a big honking 100AH AGM and a pure-sine inverter. I sprung for the AGM so I didn't have to take unusual precautions to charge it inside the trailer when I'm running the generator. The 2 items cost almost as much as the "street price" on a 12V CPAP, but offers me other utility and I got a little carried away on the specs... it'll actually power my CPAP for 3 nights before requiring a charge, so for a 2- or 3-night trip I wouldn't need the generator unless it was air conditioning season.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #5

1994 30' Excella
Hanahan , South Carolina
C-pap Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I have a jump-start power pack that's part of my hurricane kit.

If you're powering medical equipment from it, then the only viable answer on size is, "the most amp-hours you can afford."

Harbor Freight offers a Gen-Tech on sale for about $50, with peak 900 cold-cranking amps, and 17 amp-hours continuous. The built-in light is a nice touch, too. Sears offers a Die-Hard model with 950 cold-cranking amps, and 18 amp-hours for double the money; you don't get much extra capacity for the jump in price.

17~18 amp-hours doesn't give you a lot of reserve capacity compared to a house battery for powering essential equipment. About the only advantage is, it's a lot more portable than a house battery.
Thanks for this information. How do you hook up from your power pack to the cpap machine?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #6

1994 30' Excella
Hanahan , South Carolina
Thanks for this information. How do you hook up from your power pack to the cpap machine?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
A 12V adapter, available online (the machine is 12V converted from 120AC) and an extra battery may have more utility. A solar panel to recharge and you are in business. We run 320 Watts Solar with 4 220Amp 6 Volt batteries. Recharge everything during the day and have full batteries at night. The machines seem to pull about 3 amps 12V dc. Check yours to know what you need.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Generator?

I have a little Honda 1000 EU that I've loaned to several people with C-PAP's, etc. I use it too cook or recharge my coach batteries.

It's small, light and quiet. And serves more than one purpose.

Just a thought. Paula
Old 03-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
CPAP at the beach

We have 2 deep cycle batteries (115 amp hrs each for 230 total amp hrs), which are our coach batteries. We just bought a 1000Watt pure sine wave inverter to run our new flat screen tv, and the CPAP, when we are boondocking and it works fine. We charged coach batteries daily with a small 1300 watt portable generator 2 months ago for a 5 day beach trip and it all worked great. Solar is in the master plan...
Kathy
Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Wow, I just started using a CPAP and I hadnt even thought of this. THANK YOU!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #11
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I've used a CPAP for several years. When we redid the wiring in the Tin Pickle, I wired up the 1000W inverter which I'd been using while tent camping w/ a deep discharge battery. Now that we have 200W of solar and 210 AH of batteries, the ~3 amp draw for 7 hours or so is easily restored the next day.

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote