Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Boondocking with a 23FB

The wife and I enjoy sports car racing and I can get a spot usually at the race track to spend the weekend. A couple of the spots have dump stations so I figured on getting one of those blue 20 gallon tanks to empty the black / grey tanks during a long 4 day weekend.

The problem that I am finding is the dump valve assembly on the AS is very low to the ground and the fill inlets on the blue tanks are above the discharge coming from the AS.

Anyone out there solve this issue?
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I wonder if one of these would work

Barker 15 Gallon Folding Tent Camper Tote- Along Portable Holding Tank - Portable Holding Tanks - Black Water Tanks - Plumbing

Trouble is 15 gal is pretty heavy, over 100lbs. Trying to pull that may be difficult.

For one of the tote tanks with wheels, that you can connect to the tow vehicle, place it so there is 3 or 4 feet of slinky hose and release the valve. Then pick up the hose while still connected near the trailer so its higher than the tote to move the water into the tote. Repeat this process until the water is moved into the tote tank.

I bet in four days, with conservative water usage, you could get by without dumping your tanks. You may want to carry a water container to add more water to your fresh water tank but you have a 30 gallon grey tank. 18 should be enough for the bath. The 3 of us could last 4 days in our Casita with a 32gal gray and 15 gal black. I just added water to the fresh tank as needed.

Kelvin
Old 09-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
The wife and I use to have a toy hauling 5th wheel (I got sick of pulling my house down the road), hence the 23 FB. The wife is still use to 2 - 50 gallon grey tanks and 1 - 50 gallon black tank.

This is my issue, she gets mad as hell at me when I suggest to turn the water off.........she thinks she is at home. Happy wife...happy life.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
We use a macerator pump, powered by a lawnmower battery, to pump gray water into the tote, which sits in the bed of the truck. No lifting, no slow towing to the dump station. Works great.

Warren

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:35 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Warren,
We're currently looking but have also been thinking of ways to extend stays while dispersed camping. I was thinking of doing the same as you described, pumping gray to the vehicle and fresh water from the vehicle to the AS. Of course, this will be easier once we've actually been camping and have an idea of whether it's a necessity or not. We were sailors for awhile and were able to stretch our water usage.

My questions. Is pumping black water in this manner realistic? It sounds pretty straight forward, but with your experience, is there any design/usage issues that might be encountered? Thanks
Richard
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWN306 View Post
The wife and I use to have a toy hauling 5th wheel (I got sick of pulling my house down the road), hence the 23 FB. The wife is still use to 2 - 50 gallon grey tanks and 1 - 50 gallon black tank.

This is my issue, she gets mad as hell at me when I suggest to turn the water off.........she thinks she is at home. Happy wife...happy life.
Does the race track have a porta potty service which could drive up and off-load your waste, for a small fee? Lots of larger campgrounds offer this service for folks who are not hooked up to a sewer at their camp site.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I wonder if one of these would work

Barker 15 Gallon Folding Tent Camper Tote- Along Portable Holding Tank - Portable Holding Tanks - Black Water Tanks - Plumbing

Trouble is 15 gal is pretty heavy, over 100lbs. Trying to pull that may be difficult.

For one of the tote tanks with wheels, that you can connect to the tow vehicle, place it so there is 3 or 4 feet of slinky hose and release the valve. Then pick up the hose while still connected near the trailer so its higher than the tote to move the water into the tote. Repeat this process until the water is moved into the tote tank.

I bet in four days, with conservative water usage, you could get by without dumping your tanks. You may want to carry a water container to add more water to your fresh water tank but you have a 30 gallon grey tank. 18 should be enough for the bath. The 3 of us could last 4 days in our Casita with a 32gal gray and 15 gal black. I just added water to the fresh tank as needed.

Kelvin

Absolutely agree. Dry camping w/o dumping not a problem. Running out of fresh water IS a problem.
lindaebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:45 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
If you don't want to spend the whole hog on the portable mascerator I would totally go with the Airflow one you hook a hose up to....but I just realised that works using water pressure...which there is a serious lack of when boon docking...so, I guess macerator it is. I had the portable one for a while, the FloJet before that (works great when you have a strong hose) and then finally just had a permanent one installed so I can pump through a garden hose into a toilet at home if need be. Can't sing their praises enough. Heck I think AS has made them standard issue on Interstates so they know too. =)
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 20' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
I use the FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit from Camping World. It works great. You can pump your Gray water and Black water through a ¾” garden hose. I have two 25 gallon tanks mounted in the bed of my truck. One is for drinking water and one is for gray water. I use the FloJet RV waste Pump to pump the gray water from my AS to the Gray tank in my Truck and I use gravity to transfer the Drinking water to my AS. Then I take my truck to the dump station and drain the gray water and refill the drinking water.
AIRTRVL is offline   Reply With Quote