Old 11-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #29
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Well, we just spent a few weeks pre-positioning ourselves for our first run at semi-serious wimpdocking next summer. I say wimpdocking because we have arranged to have a couple power poles put in, and electricity run out to the middle of our new property. We had thought about doing it with a Honda, but we plan to be here for maybe a month or two and dealing with the water and dump logistics seems enough for the first year.

We'll be parking the 27FB in that spot of level sunlight right before the rocks at the end of this little ridge:

When i stood down there at the level spot looking at the path I have to bring the trailer down....it makes me a little nervous.

I'm planning to rent a Bobcat for a few days and cut a little road around the left side of that little pine. From where that rental is parked, looking to the right we can see the Rockies.

This will be part of the view from our airstream door next summer:

The first time we visited this spot, there were a dozen deer standing on it.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #30
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Somebody on these forums said they never use their toilet. They just go in the surrounding area. Anyone want to invent a term for that?

Not me.

Ken

Rock hopping?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
gringo where is your spot? and i wouldn't call that wimpdocking...i would call it moving in.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #32
one of those

2011 27 FB International
It's in Larimer County, Colorado. just east of the Overland Trail ( 287) and up in the hills. We just plan to spend the hot and busy part of the summer up there at 7300 ft. No crowds. No A/C needed. As I think i wrote somewhere else here on the forum, come September and October we plan to hook up and tour The West, after school thins the herds and the weather moderates. Just happens to coincide with hurricane season peak down here. After going through three hurricanes and a number of storms, we would just as soon button up here and watch the next one on television.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #33
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
It's in Larimer County, Colorado. just east of the Overland Trail ( 287) and up in the hills. We just plan to spend the hot and busy part of the summer up there at 7300 ft. No crowds. No A/C needed. As I think i wrote somewhere else here on the forum, come September and October we plan to hook up and tour The West, after school thins the herds and the weather moderates. Just happens to coincide with hurricane season peak down here. After going through three hurricanes and a number of storms, we would just as soon button up here and watch the next one on television.
I think you may be surprised. 7300 feet is not that high around here. I suggest you don't sell the Air conditioner.

Ken
Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
I think you may be surprised. 7300 feet is not that high around here. I suggest you don't sell the Air conditioner.

Ken
Agreed. You may not need it much, but it can hit 90˚ during the day and probably will cool off at night.

Gene
Old 11-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #35
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
How about "GPS'n"? (Gaining personal space)

Most of the time we don't know where we are anyway, and need the GPS to find our way home!

Dave
Old 11-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #36
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Agreed. You may not need it much, but it can hit 90˚ during the day and probably will cool off at night.

Gene
I don't mean anything rude by this, but when I read that I started laughing. My wife asked me what was so funny. And I read it to her, and she started laughing too. It's 85 here right now as I write this. In November. We live most of our lives these days between 75 and 95 degrees, year round. Our house doesn't even have an air conditioner. Or a furnace. We don't have glass in our windows here. Just screens and wooden louvers for the rain. Five years ago, in February of '06, one evening it dropped to 63 here for a couple of hours. We were miserable. Had socks on. Sat in the office of our home with blankets on our laps. We cranked some of the windows halfway down. Thank goodness it was back up into the low 70's by morning. The island almost came to a halt. We saw local people wearing leather bomber jackets, mittens, and wool watch caps. I am not kidding you. I'm going to take some photos next time it happens.

We do realize that 90 deg. seems pretty danged hot to you native Colorado and mountain folks. Rest assured, we wouldn't even notice it hitting 90. Would probably comment that it was starting to turn into a really nice day. The differences between where we've been living and this new place totally delight us. And the differences are huge. Much, much more than weather.

I did notice when I was chopping the berms off a ditch with an e-tool I seemed to get out of breath pretty quickly. How long does it take to acclimate to the altitude at almost a mile and a half above here?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #37

Quote:
I don't mean anything rude by this, but when I read that I started laughing. My wife asked me what was so funny. And I read it to her, and she started laughing too. It's 85 here right now as I write this. In November. We live most of our lives these days between 75 and 95 degrees, year round. Our house doesn't even have an air conditioner. Or a furnace. We don't have glass in our windows here. Just screens and wooden louvers for the rain. Five years ago, in February of '06, one evening it dropped to 63 here for a couple of hours. We were miserable. Had socks on. Sat in the office of our home with blankets on our laps. We cranked some of the windows halfway down. Thank goodness it was back up into the low 70's by morning. The island almost came to a halt. We saw local people wearing leather bomber jackets, mittens, and wool watch caps. I am not kidding you. I'm going to take some photos next time it happens.

We do realize that 90 deg. seems pretty danged hot to you native Colorado and mountain folks. Rest assured, we wouldn't even notice it hitting 90. Would probably comment that it was starting to turn into a really nice day. The differences between where we've been living and this new place totally delight us. And the differences are huge. Much, much more than weather.

I did notice when I was chopping the berms off a ditch with an e-tool I seemed to get out of breath pretty quickly. How long does it take to acclimate to the altitude at almost a mile and a half above here?
Now I'm laughing .

There is a big difference between 90 on a breezy tropical Island and 90 in an Airstream with the sun shining on it.

I been in both situations many times.

In the Airstream your refrigerator may not stay cool enough without the A/C to help it.

I am close enough to come and see how hard you're laughing next summer.

It shouldn't take more than a few weeks to get used to the altitude.
I don't know if it is physical, or just forgetting what that much air is like.

Ken
Old 11-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #38
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Now I'm laughing .

There is a big difference between 90 on a breezy tropical Island and 90 in an Airstream with the sun shining on it.
Yeah, the difference is humidity of 90% on that tropical isle vs. 15% here in Colorado. Since moving from South Florida to Colorado, the only time I use the AC is when visiting the deserts of AZ & UT. Living in Durango at 7,600 feet, we do not have AC, and I'll take 90 in CO over 90 in FL anyday!

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #39
one of those

2011 27 FB International
i can't believe nobody commented on that 8 ft. tall rock.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #40
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
I am close enough to come and see how hard you're laughing next summer.
hey, I should ask you....how is Wildish as an Airstream/RV dealer? they sounded pretty much okay on the phone, but I haven't found the place yet.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Yeah, the difference is humidity of 90% on that tropical isle vs. 15% here in Colorado. Since moving from South Florida to Colorado, the only time I use the AC is when visiting the deserts of AZ & UT. Living in Durango at 7,600 feet, we do not have AC, and I'll take 90 in CO over 90 in FL anyday!
I wasn't addressing the different locations or the climates, I am talking about the inside of the trailer when the outside temperature is 90 or above and the sun is shining all day. If you live in your trailer full time, then I will listen to what you are saying. , but if you live in a house in Durango, I don't think that is ground for a comparison. I assume your house is better insulated than an Airstream. I've been in Durango in the summer and I would not want to be dependent on an Airstream without A/C. If you can enjoy that then more power to you.

Ken
Old 11-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #42
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
I like boats.

to me, camping involves a lot of leaky canvas and smoky smelling sleeping bags. Pup tents. Luxury would be including a hammock made up of a section of sharp nylon garroting twine that stores in a bag the size of an Opera singers fist.

You haven't camped in a while, have you? Take a look at the equipment today, there have been a few little changes.