Old 07-24-2009, 03:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
las vegas , Nevada
boondocking sewer question

It's not a boondocking perse, but wanted to tap into your boondocking expertise knowledge. Please help a noob.

1. after boondocking and going to a typical dump station, is there water hook-up so that you can flush the black water tank?? Or do you just flush your toilet a few times to flush out the black water tank, or how does that work??

2. After emptying the black water tank, do you leave it empy for storage or do you put chemical and some water to keep chemical in the tank??

3. Do you all typically store your sewer hose in the bumper storage?? I keep hearing that sewer hose storage tube under the chassis is too short or not so convenient, etc...

thanks for advice, I think my first airstream trip will be boondocking in Area 51 are in NV in a couple of weeks...trying to study up....

Old 07-24-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
Most folks with those fancy grey tanks recomend dumping the black tank first, then the gray tank to flush the sewer hose with soapy dish water.

My '63 doesnt have a grey tank, but I found the follwing works:
Dump black tank. Close valve. Run into trailer and flush the toilet to fill the 10 gallon black tank while adding a couple tablespoons of dish soap. Jump up and down to swish it around a but. Run out of the trailer and open the valve again. This helps clean out some of the crud in the tank and clean out the hose.

Then I leave about a gallon of water and a oxy clean packet to further disolve "stuff" while it sloshes around on the way home. leave it in if storing for a week or so, or empty it completely if storing for the winter.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
If I am going to use the trailer again within a month I dump the black tank and then dump the gray. I add a bottle of deodorizer to the black tank along with a gal. of water.

If I am going to put it away for the winter I:
1) Depending how much is in my black tank I will add a 5 gal. bucket or two of water to it and then dump it.
2) Dump gray tank.
3) While gray tank is emptying I add a couple of 5 gal. buckets of water to the black tank.
4) While black tank is emptying I add a 5 gal. bucket of water to gray tank.
5) Empty gray tank.
6) Add 1/2 gal. of anti-freeze to black tank and 1/2 gal. anti-freeze to gray tank.

Basically I double rinse everything. On the second rinse the water coming out is clear. I always carry a 5 gal. bucket with me.
Tom
Old 07-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcat2004 View Post
It's not a boondocking perse, but wanted to tap into your boondocking expertise knowledge. Please help a noob.

1. after boondocking and going to a typical dump station, is there water hook-up so that you can flush the black water tank?? Or do you just flush your toilet a few times to flush out the black water tank, or how does that work??

2. After emptying the black water tank, do you leave it empy for storage or do you put chemical and some water to keep chemical in the tank??

3. Do you all typically store your sewer hose in the bumper storage?? I keep hearing that sewer hose storage tube under the chassis is too short or not so convenient, etc...

thanks for advice, I think my first airstream trip will be boondocking in Area 51 are in NV in a couple of weeks...trying to study up....
Lvcat2004,
Welcome aboard.

Answer to questions;

1. Most dump stations I have been to have had non-potable water sources to rinse your tank. Some dump stations even have a second potable source so that you can fill the fresh water tank too. We use the dump station a lot at our local Cabela's store. The ride to Cabela's usually sloshes the tank contents around enough that we can get it clean in one or two rinses. Just remember dump station etiquette. If there is a line of RVs don't rinse your tanks 10 times.

2. I usually rinse the black tank thoroughly enough that we leave it empty with no sanitizer. We have had no ill odors arise from this method.

3. I don't have an issue with the PVC sewer hose storage on our '06. It seems plenty long enough and is easy to get at, at least for me.

Good luck on your first boondocking trip, have a blast.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcat2004 View Post

Some dump stations have water hookups but not all have a standard fitting to connect to the typical black tank flush connection (assuming that's what you have). Once my tank is emptied and flushed out I leave it empty in storage, no odors or problems doing that. I presently store my hose in my rear bumper, but not for long. I'm going to retrofit a 4 or 5 inch hose carrier underneath my Sovereign. I'm doing this for sanitary reasons and to also save room in the rear storage.

I recommend that you place your trailer information in your profile or in your signature so we can answer any questions more correctly.

Welcome to the Air Forums.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
waynesboro , Virginia
One additional idea, a bag of ice in the blackwater tank will help break up any solid that may have built up ......
Old 07-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We think the under-belly tube for the sewer hose is the best thing since sliced bread. The hose is away form other things, it can dry out (the cap is vented) and it's easy to access...ours can store 20 feet of hose collapsed. We do put about a gal of fresh water into the black tank with a chemical treatment packet after dumping and store it that way between trips...and do the same with the grey tank about every 3rd time while on the road and between trips...just to help keep that fresh, too.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

las vegas , Nevada
I guess there is no "correct" way to go about this, but I appreciate the many options you all have presented. Thanks and I'll give it a shot.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:09 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

las vegas , Nevada
OK, so on my brand-new 2009 25' CCD, there is an under-belly sewer hose storage tube.

My dealer gave me a 15' Rhino sewer kit. Guess what, it doesn't fit by about 2 inches. Even if I cut it, the coupler that goes on to the sewage pipe doesn't fit....

I might modifty it a bit to make it fit, but.....why can't they make it so that it fits....??

2009 Airstream 25' International CCD
lvcat2004 is offline   Reply With Quote