Old 06-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Gunnison: 46 F mornings / 82 F afternoons

All said and done... those sweltering in the heat and humidity feeling sorry for we Greenhorns:

Gunnison, Colorado. Clear. Sunny. Mornings 46 F. Afternoons 82 F.

Bring a jacket and an extra dog as this is the BEST it can get for camping. We already have two Blue Heelers, so are set to go. A couple extra heavy blankets will ease the pain we will feel for others because of the cool, dry and comfortable sleeping weather.

Leaving Las Vegas, June 5th with 104 F air temperature and 140 F outside skin of our Airstream when flushing our water system in the back yard. Nancy and I expect to be in our 'semi secret Off the Grid Campsite' early. You cannot miss us if you arrive early. We have two dogs and I sometimes wear a hat.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #114
Rivet Master

How much heat and comfort can I expect from my little chihuahua? Or should I plan on also bringing my longer furred Pomeranian (mixed with.... I don't know what, but, it had a long heavy fur coat)! ? I will bring extra blankets just in case, as well as jacket and rain jacket.

Whatever someone else forgets to bring....chances are good I'll have it! I can't seem to pack light! LOL!

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Be sure you have warm socks for your feet at night, Evelyn....helps a lot while sleeping.

Maggie
Old 06-04-2016, 04:19 PM   #116
Rivet Master

Well thanks, Maggie! One more thing to add to my multi page packing list! Cotton or wool?
Oh, yeah, one more thing...if I bring Nikko, for extra warmth at night, I'll need to fashion a ramp for him...so he can get in and out of the AI!
Old 06-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
I need a pillow. Does Mikki shed?

Our Heelers shed too much to be pillow options. I get tired of waking up with a two inch beard and mustache and I had shaved that month...
Old 06-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Well thanks, Maggie! One more thing to add to my multi page packing list! Cotton or wool?
Oh, yeah, one more thing...if I bring Nikko, for extra warmth at night, I'll need to fashion a ramp for him...so he can get in and out of the AI!
I keep cotton socks in the Interstate all the time, and they are enough for me, but if you get especially cold, might do wool.

I also keep a set of silk long underwear out there.

You don't want to be cold.

Y'all are going to have a great time!

Maggie
Old 06-04-2016, 04:42 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Silk pjs are in "Goliath" already. Yep, cotton sox..maybe 1-2 wool sox too. Maybe I should bring brandy .....for a quick warmup before bed. ( I can always hope for a few 'hot flashes' through the night)!

Ray, Mikki sheds short stubby fur....not pillow worthy. Nikko does shed, soft white fur. I'll bring a grooming brush...you bring your pillow case... And you can feel free to brush him till you get a pillow of the appropriate size and softness that you like! And...I won't even charge for the fur! I will share the wine and brandy with you and Nancy, though.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #120
Rivet Master

Has anyone had experience this time of year with Cottonwood pass and Monarch pass? I need to decide before Sunday, as I leave to this adventure to join up with others at the location somewhere near Taylor reservoir, (Almont/Gunisson). What will be the best route to take from Denver or CastleRock? Some will be towing trailers....I will be driving my Interstate MOTORHOME. I understand that Cottonwood, while beautiful, can be risky, due to dirt road from top near Buena Vista, which could be muddy or washboard, maybe even snow this time of year. From Denver, whitecaps can be seen on many mountain tops. Pretty to see from a distance, but, perhaps unpleasant to navigate in a big class B? Input and advice, please?
Old 06-08-2016, 01:46 AM   #121
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sarasota , Florida
Newbie in Florida

Very interested! Do you ever come to Florida?

Eklund;1751936]ColoradoLady will be my FIRST student off of this Thread, since I will be in Castle Rock, CO the first week of March. It was her idea, anyways.

Right now we are in Boulder City, NV but leaving to Colorado in a couple weeks.

My wife, Nancy, understands why I love camping in our Airstream. It is even more enjoyable teaching others about what we do as a routine and collecting rocks and shiny objects.

As this develops, I will have a better feel for how to make it work. First, I need to know WHERE you would like to practice. Time permitting... those with similar State interests will be grouped, find a common meeting place and take the group out for a couple days or more.

I want Greenhorns to practice... BACKING UP. Use the bottom of the steering wheel or the top technique... but only one. Driving forward is a start. Backing up is a necessity to get out of trouble. Practice. Even I have to get the hang of it after being parked for a month or more. Backing up is more important than driving 300 miles on the highway.

This year might be a bit tight for time as we might have a big move to Nevada this Summer. If not... there will be a lot of camping for us.

This is for Greenhorns. Newbies. New trailer owners. Not those I see following this thread as I am typing... they know already are experienced.

This will be fun for ME. Lots of work, strained neck muscles and headache for you, but you will figure it out. IF you already know it all, good. I will listen.

Also, what are your interests. What State(s)?[/QUOTE]
Old 06-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #122
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock , Colorado
ColoradoLady here is some CDOT camera's that show Monarch pass open and clear. I will call you.

http://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/default?StillCameraId=18
http://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/default
Tom
Old 06-08-2016, 06:39 PM   #123
Rivet Master

Well, as it turns out, I will not have travel companions for a bit of a caravan from southeast of Denver, to Taylor Reservoir. I learned this morning that TJansen will be unable to join in on this trip. So, I have decided to avoid Cottonwood pass. I will either go Monarch pass....if I'm feeling gutsy....or I may just take the long way and go I 70 west (Vail pass is no problem), then south from Glenwood Springs, and connect from there. I still have to check my maps to find connection from 133 to Taylor.

If anyone wants to caravan, let me know. Otherwise, I'm leaving early Sunday morning, and will be on my way. I feel confident and can travel solo....been doing it a long time. No problem. Especially after my 4 way trip to Ft Worth to get my really great deal on "Goliath". I did that solo...I can handle this just fine. I'll see you folks down there. I hope no one else has cancelled. I look forward to meeting some like minded adventurers!
Old 06-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I just heard for Ray and Nancy. They asked me to pass on some messages.

They are at the Dinner Station Campground. It is 5.4 miles from the end of the paved road, and costs $8 per night with a Senior or Access pass. They suggest arriving with a full fresh water tank. Apparently there must not be water available. They say that the site is really beautiful.

Looking forward to meeting all of you.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #125
Rivet Master

Re: mountain passes. Mountain Directory West. All info is listed on my thread....ADVENTURES OUTSIDE COMFORT ZONE. Well worth your time to check it out. (Info relevant to mtn passes in all 11 western states)!
Old 06-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #126
Rivet Master

I have determined my route.....I 25 south to Co. springs, west on Co Rd 24 to Co50 across Monarch pass, (yes, I'm feeling gutsy, after reading all pertinent info)! I've towed on Wolfe creek pass, ( @ 7% grade and a few curves going down grade east &a west)! I've also towed TaB on San Juan Skyway, aka, hwy 550/million dollar hwy.....real white knuckle drive experience! Having survived those, I feel confident I'll be able to conquer this one.

If you don't see me by Sunday afternoon....come looking for me?! LOL?? Grimace!