Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2016, 12:24 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Ray, I'm new to AS. Been a tent camper, tired of the setup time and prep to take family of six tent camping, plus getting old, so wanted a trailer. Been reading the boondocking threads and just caught this one.

I am a greenhorn and will be picking up my new FC2017 23D with bunk in December. If you plan to do the Greenhorn school in 2017, please let me know. I live in Parker, co, and could get anywhere in Colorado. It's always better if there is some good flyfishjng nearby, but just being out is good.

I have experience with trailers, boats etc, but plan to brush up and practice with the AS. Planning to practice and get to know the trailer this winter at Cherry Creek state park, as it is close to home.

Let me k kw if you are doing any "school", I am an avid learner and always appreciate great advice.....

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #142
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
2017 Boondocking?

Ray,

I was hoping that you will have a 2017 Boondocking adventure/learning experience. I would definitely be interested in joining up and learning with a group of like minded Airstream friends.

Tara
MsTara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #143
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Best way to learn is to start with dry camping in some established but primitive campgrounds. That way you'll get the "camping without connections" part all figured out long before you try to follow Ray on one of his rock-hunting expeditions.

Joshua Tree and many other National Parks are great places to start experimenting.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #144
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
I have dry camped in a Class A Airstream and I actually live in the middle of more State Parks/National Parks than I can even count. But, there is always something new to learn when you get together with a group of people :-)
MsTara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Let me chime in as I was with Ray and Nancy on this trip. I had never been to Colorado, never really spend more than one night without utilities.

In fact my trailer was new and never pulled it more than a 400 or 500 miles. Everything went off great.

I think learning to use your trailler in a national park, or state park or camping spot close to home will get you comfortable.

It was nice to meet new people and see places I had never been.

If Ray does indeed have another you will not be disappointed.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #146
AlphaStream

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Chadron , Nebraska
Well Ray and Nancy – it looks like there is more interest. I would love to do another trip with you and others. It’s the different companionship from the others as well as your humorous way of teaching that was so important to me. That’s were I learnt. I am still practicing my back ups although I’ve never gotten into a bind if I just take my time and use common sense as you instructed and I also grease my ball hitch and continue to camp on my own so that one day I can make the rockdocking trip in the future.

Yesterday I winterized my Airstream. Proud moment. (Why isn’t there a YouTube video on doing this the easy way? The ones out there are not too user friendly.)

I’ll keep watch here.
AlphaStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #147
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
AlphaStream... is being too modest. She was already independent, comfortable with new situations and capable to handling any situation.

She also ignored the Camp Host who was giving advice as to... how to back up a trailer. That was a... hoot, for sure. Bad advice, as well.

I am starting a New Thread just for those of you who want to become comfortable as a Greenhorn. So simple. So convenient. So... well you decide.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Ray, please include me on the new thread..... looking forward to it!

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 12-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #149
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Troutboy, have you ever attended an RV Boot Camp? If not, I would STRONGLY recommend that you do so. Escapees RV Club run an excellent RVBC (other groups also offer RVBC, sometimes under different names). Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. RVBC explains & demystifies all the systems found on modern RVs. The time and money spent at RVBC will be a wise investment. Some insurance companies give discounts to RVBC graduates.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:53 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Ray.

I haven't. Didn't know they were available. I will look into it for sure. Anywhere and any way I can learn.

I've been tent boondocking for years and years, but not in an RV, so it's all new. Any other Lear in opportunities are appreciated.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #151
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Cedar Park , Texas
Any RV boot camps in TX?

I have been looking for RV boot camps ever since I saw the one offered by the RV Safety Council. Their camp isn't until October and is located in KY. I'd love to attend one in the next few months (i.e., between January and April) so I can go out and enjoy my new AS. Please post any sites I should be checking out on this.
Thanks from a newbie Bambi camper!
travellvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #152
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
Backing up a caravel

Our 17 ft caravel is frustrating to back up. You're slowly going in the right direction and then crap,it's jacknived. Over and over! At home, I drive it up one side of the driveway, Block and unhitch the trailer and store it facing the garage. When it's time to go camping, I hitch the TV at about a 20 degree angle and that seems to work for my driveway. Alot easier than trying to back it in, as there are always cars parked across the street. Joe in MN
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Shorter the Trailer... the harder to back up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqin View Post
Our 17 ft caravel is frustrating to back up. You're slowly going in the right direction and then crap,it's jacknived. Over and over! At home, I drive it up one side of the driveway, Block and unhitch the trailer and store it facing the garage. When it's time to go camping, I hitch the TV at about a 20 degree angle and that seems to work for my driveway. Alot easier than trying to back it in, as there are always cars parked across the street. Joe in MN

Joe... the shorter the trailer, the MORE difficult it is to back up. When you can back up your 17 footer... a 25 or 30 foot trailer will be easy.

Be patient and avoid frustration backing up a 17 foot trailer. Only a Bambi 16 footer is the ultimate challenge for anyone backing up! First time owners of smaller trailers are very surprised to discover how difficult they are to back up.

Find someone who has a riding lawnmower and tow the single axle trailer behind it. I have a John Deere riding lawnmower and backing up the small trailer is the best experience. Very small movements of the steering wheel while backing up is a sign of success. Large corrections, jackknife and out of control... pull forward and try again. Small tow vehicle corrections when things are going... well.

Your tow vehicle will have to move multiples of feet to move the back of your trailer a foot, or less. Someone will be able to explain it in mathematical terms. At times, you are better off to pull forward and straighten the trailer... then begin the backing up process, again.

There is a current post of a new owner wanting to know if backing up his trailer downhill alongside his house on a curved driveway was... possible. It is possible. A new owner doing it? Very unlikely and more likely to damage both the trailer and tow vehicle. A CURVE on a standard driveway is very difficult, even for a seasoned owner.

Just do not give up. Some day you will be needing to back up and cannot. Do not look around to see if anyone is watching you fumble around. Everyone is watching... but have been in a similar situation. We want to see your frustration. If you are not frustrated... everyone will be disappointed. Stay calm and keep learning.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:07 PM   #154
1 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Sarasota , Florida
Boondocking class

Following! Interested in summer/fall 2017.
Josefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
Following! Interested in summer/fall 2017.
I can already think of several women from the 2016 Boondocking School for Greenhorns, that would be very capable to sponsor another trip for 2017.

Nancy and I are making 2017 OUR year to do what we enjoy the most. Camping Off the Grid and enjoy another healthy one of our twilight years, ourselves.

We will be exploring all of the Gold/Mining Districts of Nevada, some meddling in eastern Oregon minerals, trilobite hunts in Utah, retrace some of our old campsites in Idaho... sneak back into Wyoming to the Jade Mines, if possible, and ride off into the Sunset. Maybe into to SW and NW Montana for Yogo Sapphires and visit my old homesteads, when a kid, on the north end of Flathead Lake.

Then there are the Rock Shows at Quartzite and Tucson in late January and early February 2017 to awaken the Airstream for another year of discovery at the start.

Those interested in a 2017 Boondocking... where ever in the USA and Canada... post a Thread and find someone who has the time to take this on. It takes a special personality to put in the amount of time required to plan and organize.

I discovered that I am not that person with the charming Campfire Personality. Plenty do exist on this Forum, that are truly capable and need just some encouragement to put together a task, as this, on a calendar and do it.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #156
AlphaStream

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Chadron , Nebraska
Count me in - if it’s in the western part of my great county!
AlphaStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaStream View Post
Count me in - if it’s in the western part of my great county!

AlphaStream is in NW Nebraska. Home of Fort Robinson near Crawford, NE and the Fur Trappers Museum in Chadron. Scottsbluff (Oregon Trail) and North Platte (Buffalo Bill's Ranch) is a day trip and back to your campsite.

Camping on the bluffs near Toadstool Park in National Grasslands is a wonderful place to be Off the Grid. The Black Hills in the distance. Crazy Horse. Red Cloud. The Agate Fossil Beds. Make it a week to see most of the sites!

The Black Hills and Hot Springs, SD is a day trip and back. Why not then stop and see Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Monument... with time, Lead and Deadwood.

She is one of the two fully capable Boondockers I had in mind. She may want to elaborate on her... idea(s).
Old 12-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I would be up for that trip. Planning on doing black hills and Rushmore next year anyway.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #159
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
RAY AND NANCY
JAN and I are very disappointed with your decision, but can understand why with the negative comments made by only two individuals not understanding the guidelines of your adventures . Just think of the really good times you both provided for the other 25 to 30 AIRSTREAMERS that you helped teach how to enjoy our GREAT OUTDOORS.

If you change your minds or would like some company, PLEASE let us know.
We miss your smiling faces and blue heelers. I think Sir Guinness could use some
further training also. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #160
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
Also interested in 2017 . Would like to help but do not know of any places to boondock.
Castle Rock, / Denver, CO. 21' Sovereign 1995.
tjansen is offline   Reply With Quote