Old 04-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
At least someone caught this one. Thanks for the helping me get an update. We will use you as a First Aid Victim now Unifreck sent this fantastic first aid kit to me, since you volunteered. ColoradoLady will also volunteer to give everyone some pointers on Wilderness First Aid... huh?
Funny you say that. I had to do our every-other year first aid/CPR training today. I always hate that; too touchy-feely. Taking turns Hiemlicking each other. I don't make a good victim.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #100
Rivet Master

I hear that, Thalweg! Too much "touchy, feely" / invasion of personal space.... Never liked that!

I think I still remember some first aid ..... After all, it has been 15 years. LOL! I will have an adequate first aid kit, though.

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
My first aid kit includes allergy pills headache pills assorted band aids and a fifth of "snake bite medicine"
Old 04-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
My first aid kit includes allergy pills headache pills assorted band aids and a fifth of "snake bite medicine"

I am already getting the sense that I will need to share some of your 'Snake Bite Medicine' after I arrive at X. Save the empty bottle, they are collectable.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #103
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sarasota , Florida
Me too!
Old 04-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #104
4 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Salem , Oregon
Not sure but I may have a first aid kit. In any case will bring some Oregon wine.

Dave
Old 04-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Current Official List of Members Attending

Current List of Members Attending:

#1- ColoradoLady
#2- tjansen
#3- X cancelled
#4- mellinkat
#5- AlphaStream
#6- NoResults
#7- X cancelled
#8- lindeaebrewer
#9- twh731 Tom
#10- gghayes
#11- Thalweg
#12- Ray Eklund
#13- The Ice Man
#14- rothse
#15- Barretta2

This is the Official List. If you are not on this list, you are not receiving any additional information to your email address. There is no limit of trailers as there is space for fifty on this trip. The Base Camp and dispersed camping is adequate in the area.

If you plan to attend. Contact me with the information requested on this Thread at boondockingairstream@gmail.com

Any questions, please post on this Thread as the information may help others. If you cannot attend, please contact me so we are not expecting you.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Flushing the Water System before trip begins

I have posted a Thread that I misnamed: Prime the Pump... which should be Flushing the Water System. When thirty minutes have passed once a thread is posted, you can no longer Edit, unless contacting an administrator.

This is important. Since Nancy and I use our Fresh Water for drinking, cooking and washing, this long explanation covers most if not all issues for maintaining a clean fresh water supply and not be whining about algae or mildew in the system... forever. Once you foul your fresh water system... good luck in getting everything back to normal.

There are no doubt more Threads about What do I do? than, How to do?.

You might ignore the Water Pump posts. You do not need to replace a water pump if you follow an easy way to prevent future issues.

Hot Water tanks.

When you drain the trailer's water system... you also will remove the plug to the hot water tank and drain. Not when hot, but after it is cold. We NEVER travel with the hot water tank ON. It is a waste of propane, as there are easier options for 16 ounces of hot water...use your propane cook top.

When you drain the Hot Water Tank, you will most likely see some white fuzzy stuff coming out. Those are CALCITE crystals, or commonly called when impure... limestone. When dry they are hard. When in your water system, these crystals can clog your hot water faucet valve and/or the faucet screen as the hot water is being used.

Once the hot water tank is drained, I will take a water hoze and nozzle, direct the nozzle into the drain opening and spray. Then let it drain. Repeat until you are comfortable that these white calcite crystals are no longer in the system. What are the chances that the calcite gets into your system? Maybe ZERO. Maybe 50%, 100%... I do not want to be the one to find out. At the worst... you will eliminate most if not all of these. They can vary in size of a BB to the diameter of a 22 rifle cartridge end. Some places have HIGH calcium and magnesium content in their well or town's water supply.

Again. Everyone will find their own process to avoid problems. Changing the oil in your tow vehicle is an example.

You may already know all of this. Since there are more Greenhorns out there than we can imagine... this is a reminder for myself and something for a new Airstream owner to consider. When your trailer is new... why not keep it that way.

Our black tank is CLEAN. Our grey water tank is clean. Our fresh water tank is clean. When we sell our trailer... you are not buying someone's else money pit... but a well maintained, expensive trailer. We all should do the same.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:42 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Ray, glad you had a nice experience. I am looking forward to the greenhorn adventure in June. I suppose you heard that Kathy and Ted had to drop out, due to health issues for Ted. We wish them both luck and a quick recovery. Evelyn.
Nancy connected our lap top computer to the Internet today and received the message from Kathy. Three years ago, I forget, the four of us went together to pick up their first Airstream. Ted's FIRST trip through Denver traffic was an experience for everyone, especially Ted. I remember MY first hour towing... I aged more than necessary, while Nancy hung onto whatever seemed to be attached to the tow vehicle's door. I did not realize you could measure sweat by the bottle!

Nancy will be working with the Ladies on this Greenhorn Adventure on some days. We have had plenty of time thinking of important details, while on the road and when camped among the trees, bees and flies. She had some good ideas that will come to good use, shortly.

I will be working with the Dogs in attendance and those in the 'Dog House', if you know what I mean.

The Guys... they will have have to listen to either myself or keeping track of the dogs in attendance. ...and if they think they are going to get a pass on this adventure... better think twice. After the Quemado Adventure, I have MORE tough procedures to... endure. One... NEVER lose your patience with your wife while backing up into a tight spot. For one important reason...

IF you think you are that good... we will all watch and make comments, if necessary. It is a team effort to 'learn' how to signal to the one looking in the rear view mirror. I know it can be frustrating. It is... At times you, as the driver, will have to get out of the tow vehicle and see what mess you find yourself.

The weather should be absolutely... indifferent to our being there!

I do not care if you have towed for one hour or 400 years... we will ALL work with those who need one on one tips.

I thought I knew it all, until I was married.

That will be something to think about on this Adventure. It will take all of the help we can get. I show no mercy nor compassion, except to those Ladies in attendance. I KNOW who is in charge. You will shortly!

But when things goes to Hell... we Guys know how to play this game!
Old 05-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Current roster of Greenhorns: 10 of 15

As of today, this are the current roster of those expecting to attend the 2016 Boondocking for Greenhorns. Total number expected is 10 of 15:

#1- ColoradoLady
#2- tjansen
#3- X cancelled
#4- X cancelled
#5- AlphaStream
#6- NoResults
#7- X cancelled
#8- lindeaebrewer
#9- X Cancelled
#10- gghayes
#11- Thalweg
#12- Ray Eklund
#13- X Cancelled
#14- rothse
#15- Barretta2

If you are or are not attending please email me at the boondockingairstream@gmail.com.

If you are not on the list and coming... do the same.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Current count FYI...

#1- ColoradoLady
#2- tjansen
#3- X Cancelled
#4- X Cancelled
#5- AlphaStream
#6- NoResults
#7- X Cancelled
#8- lindeaebrewer
#9- X Cancelled
#10- gghayes
#11- Thalweg
#12- Ray Eklund
#13- X Cancelled
#14- X Cancelled
#15- Barretta2

Out of an original signup of 15 members, we are down to 9 members. We now will easily fit into the two campsites with room to spare.

Nancy and I plan to arrive a day or two earlier to scope the area outside the first Base Camp. There is a better chance to setting up at an accessible second camp for practice.

Anyone else inclined to cancel, please let me know in advance. By Tuesday of the trip schedules will become more flexible with the size of the current group attending.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Current count FYI...

#1- ColoradoLady
#2- tjansen
#3- X Cancelled
#4- X Cancelled
#5- AlphaStream
#6- NoResults
#7- X Cancelled
#8- lindeaebrewer
#9- X Cancelled
#10- gghayes
#11- Thalweg
#12- Ray Eklund
#13- X Cancelled
#14- X Cancelled
#15- Barretta2

Out of an original signup of 15 members, we are down to 9 members. We now will easily fit into the two campsites with room to spare.

Nancy and I plan to arrive a day or two earlier to scope the area outside the first Base Camp. There is a better chance to setting up at an accessible second camp for practice. If you are feeling comfortable in coming early... we will get some practice in Base Camping and looking for an Off the Grid site.

Anyone else inclined to cancel, please let me know in advance. By Tuesday of the trip schedules will become more flexible with the size of the current group attending.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Greenhorn Colorado Ghost Town references

There is some interesting Mining History and several Ghost Towns and near Ghost Town in the area we will be camped. I am sure we can easily find time to visit a couple. If you like to read up on the area we will be staying for a week:

Ghost Towns of the Colorado Rockies by Robert L. Brown (1968)
Guide to the Colorado Ghost Towns and Mining Camps by Perry Eberhart (1959)

These are popular books and many copies can be found on the internet for under $10 each. Libraries also have access to these books. After General U. S. Grant was out of office as President... he was in this area in 1880. Some 'honest and upstanding' mine owners wanted to sell the General, actually give him some, stock so they could say the former President was a stock holder. Of course, the mining venture eventually failed, the town disappeared into history and became our... Ghost Town.

If you have a pickup, and can fit a passenger into yours who needs a ride, there was an 1880's Mail Route Pass that takes one of the most beautiful scenic routes in Colorado. I have not been there, but that will stop us from visiting if time permits.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:56 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Itinerary for a Determined Greenhorn list

We are holding at 8 Greenhorns from an original 15 members.

With fewer Greenhorns, the transformation from Greenhorn to Boondockers will be faster and the checking for competence, especially in BACKING into a campsite, should take less time.

Nancy and I are leaving Nevada next weekend and working our way across Nevada, Utah and into SW Colorado for checking out potential campsites for future Adventures, that are Off the Grid, but are well kept secrets from tourists and camp followers. This will also include OUR area of interest as I have a couple of accessible but more remote campsites for a manageable group as ours..

Once we have become 'fairly' competent in locating a campsite that your trailer will fit and can be leveled enough for comfort, we will discuss options. This time in Colorado is intended to be a Confidence Builder. I would not be surprised, when an Off the Grid caravan is being assembled, that each of you might even be looking forward to further adventures.

I have one member who will be catching us mid week due to a unexpected commitment. With some luck... we may be found anchored in a more Off the Grid site in the area.

Do not be surprised that the few camp sites we will be attempting to find ourselves will be used by yourself and family members, again! There is no place like a home away from home when you want some time to yourselves!