Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2016, 12:46 AM   #121
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sarasota , Florida
Newbie in Florida

Very interested! Do you ever come to Florida?

Eklund;1751936]ColoradoLady will be my FIRST student off of this Thread, since I will be in Castle Rock, CO the first week of March. It was her idea, anyways.

Right now we are in Boulder City, NV but leaving to Colorado in a couple weeks.

My wife, Nancy, understands why I love camping in our Airstream. It is even more enjoyable teaching others about what we do as a routine and collecting rocks and shiny objects.

As this develops, I will have a better feel for how to make it work. First, I need to know WHERE you would like to practice. Time permitting... those with similar State interests will be grouped, find a common meeting place and take the group out for a couple days or more.

I want Greenhorns to practice... BACKING UP. Use the bottom of the steering wheel or the top technique... but only one. Driving forward is a start. Backing up is a necessity to get out of trouble. Practice. Even I have to get the hang of it after being parked for a month or more. Backing up is more important than driving 300 miles on the highway.

This year might be a bit tight for time as we might have a big move to Nevada this Summer. If not... there will be a lot of camping for us.

This is for Greenhorns. Newbies. New trailer owners. Not those I see following this thread as I am typing... they know already are experienced.

This will be fun for ME. Lots of work, strained neck muscles and headache for you, but you will figure it out. IF you already know it all, good. I will listen.

Also, what are your interests. What State(s)?[/QUOTE]
minddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #122
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
ColoradoLady here is some CDOT camera's that show Monarch pass open and clear. I will call you.

http://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/default?StillCameraId=18
http://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/default
Tom
tjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #123
Rivet Master

Well, as it turns out, I will not have travel companions for a bit of a caravan from southeast of Denver, to Taylor Reservoir. I learned this morning that TJansen will be unable to join in on this trip. So, I have decided to avoid Cottonwood pass. I will either go Monarch pass....if I'm feeling gutsy....or I may just take the long way and go I 70 west (Vail pass is no problem), then south from Glenwood Springs, and connect from there. I still have to check my maps to find connection from 133 to Taylor.

If anyone wants to caravan, let me know. Otherwise, I'm leaving early Sunday morning, and will be on my way. I feel confident and can travel solo....been doing it a long time. No problem. Especially after my 4 way trip to Ft Worth to get my really great deal on "Goliath". I did that solo...I can handle this just fine. I'll see you folks down there. I hope no one else has cancelled. I look forward to meeting some like minded adventurers!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I just heard for Ray and Nancy. They asked me to pass on some messages.

They are at the Dinner Station Campground. It is 5.4 miles from the end of the paved road, and costs $8 per night with a Senior or Access pass. They suggest arriving with a full fresh water tank. Apparently there must not be water available. They say that the site is really beautiful.

Looking forward to meeting all of you.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #125
Rivet Master

Re: mountain passes. Mountain Directory West. All info is listed on my thread....ADVENTURES OUTSIDE COMFORT ZONE. Well worth your time to check it out. (Info relevant to mtn passes in all 11 western states)!
Old 06-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #126
Rivet Master

I have determined my route.....I 25 south to Co. springs, west on Co Rd 24 to Co50 across Monarch pass, (yes, I'm feeling gutsy, after reading all pertinent info)! I've towed on Wolfe creek pass, ( @ 7% grade and a few curves going down grade east &a west)! I've also towed TaB on San Juan Skyway, aka, hwy 550/million dollar hwy.....real white knuckle drive experience! Having survived those, I feel confident I'll be able to conquer this one.

If you don't see me by Sunday afternoon....come looking for me?! LOL?? Grimace!
Old 06-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
ColoradoLady is the official #1 Boondocking Greenhorn member for 2016. An official Taylor Park granite pegmatite boulder was her certificate, weighing under two pounds, and magic marker legible print applied to the surfaced. Brought to the Park by ancient glacial river activity from the Pacific Side of the Rocky Mountains.

Having an Interstate RV made it much too easy, but she easily managed the 23F to 73F temperature minimum and maximum ranges during the week. Frost most every morning. Other than two days of fog, mist and cloud cover... the rest of the week provided crystal blue skies, snow capped 13,000 to 14,000+ foot peaks surrounding the park, greeting all to frosty mornings that quickly melted in the thin hot air of sunrise.

Since I have no photo space, maybe others have space for a photo or two. I will leave the rest for everyone who have sunburned noses and excessive red blood cells during the 9,600 foot elevation sun exposure of our campsites. Heavy breathing was shared among all.

Two days provided rainbows that were complete from one end to the other and the arc contained all of the Airstreams while Off the Grid. No pot of gold was found. Aluminum was...

We all survived. This most likely will be the first and last of its kind. Nancy and I want to thank everyone who attended and were so generous with their time and evening meals.

Maybe some members will give others who have not boondocked some advice learned on this adventure.

Boondocking is only a change of any Airstream owner's confidence of... if you want to, anything is possible.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #128
Rivet Master

Ray, good to see you posting again! Don't know if you saw my emails? Thank you all for gen charges and socialization. Wish I could have caught up with you on the side trip to Crested Butte. You drive a lot faster than I could manage on those winding gravel roads. Trust me, I tried to keep pace , but, other autos got between...then, bicycle groups, and I fell further behind. When I lost sight of the group before Gunnison...I just tossed in the towel and headed home. I know when to let go!

Tell Nancy I appreciate all her help in getting my foam mattress pad on my sofa bed. That made for a pretty comfy sleep. I hope you folks enjoyed Crested Butte. Any nice photos you can share to my email would be appreciated. Did you get pics of the beautiful rainbows? I did not, and kick myself for not having charged batteries in my camera! It was on my check list, but, missed. I would have liked to get pics of that beautiful mountain range!

Did you catch any fish? I hope to get a line wet at Chatfield SP.

Thank you for the granite Boulder "certificate"! I found it in my chair outside when I was putting gear away. It will serve as a very nice momentous of one of many 'firsts' for me. Now, I can say I have boondocked. I'll let you know when I do that again...entirely on my own with good coach batteries!

I take my AI In to Windish Wednesday. I called Airstream and they have approved the work. They want them to check a special fuse for the battery/ gen system and if that is not the problem, (which it probably is not)....and then change out the Lifeline AGM batteries under warranty.

I'll feel much better when that is all done and I have good reliable batteries. I have a lot of travel planned for this season. I have learned to camp only a day or two, at most, if high altitudes. That was a bit much for me...I now realize. Even with 02 I was far from my best. I missed out on doing what I wanted on this trip, so, I've learned some limitations. That does not stop me from continuing, though. I'll make adjustments on my expectations and be more prudent on choosing altitude locations.

Hope to meet up again someday. Have a wonderful summer!
Old 06-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #129
AlphaStream

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Chadron , Nebraska
Ray does not give himself much credit for teaching and most of all listening to the greenhorns on this trip. Some of the simplest lessons I would never have given a second thought to the hardest principles of boondocking that I hope I will never have to use. I thought about listing them here but then again it’s best I keep them to myself for a while. His truest treasure is Nancy; she gave me confidence and lessons I used all the way home.

. . . Brent and Connie, I hope to see you soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Airs.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	264681   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Divide.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	264682  

Click image for larger version

Name:	The Mesa.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	264683  
AlphaStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #130
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am not surprised it all went so well, and Nancy is indeed a treasure.

So is Ray, but a bit more of the crusty sort of treasure than his sweet wife.

And then, there is Brent and Connie.

Maggie
Old 06-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #131
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
Congratulations Evelyn on the award ! Sounds like I missed a good one.
Anney is doing better and now has a temporary cast on her hand. The Job situation is looking much better.
Next time.
Tom,
Old 06-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #132
Rivet Master

I AM SO EXCITED! I just completed reservations for 4 nights at Coulter Bay RV Park in the Grand Tetons...after our fall trip to Jackson Hole, Wy...to Ft Stevens, Oregon...then to MY TRIP to Grand Tetons!

It may not seem like much to those who travel extensively, but, to this elderly greenhorn, traveling solo....it is wonderful! My full trip will be a bit over a month...another first for me!
Old 06-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #133
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
Evelyn great to hear you got reservations. Here in town / Denver / The reservoirs are available to reserve up to 6 months ahead. If you don't get it in the first week they are ALL gone, over the weekends at least.
Safe , Happy Trip.
Tom, Anney, Gracie the Darkie = Dachshund and Yorkie mix.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #134
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
I AM SO EXCITED! I just completed reservations for 4 nights at Coulter Bay RV Park in the Grand Tetons...after our fall trip to Jackson Hole, Wy...to Ft Stevens, Oregon...then to MY TRIP to Grand Tetons!

It may not seem like much to those who travel extensively, but, to this elderly greenhorn, traveling solo....it is wonderful! My full trip will be a bit over a month...another first for me!

Evelyn, I don't think you can claim "greenhorn" status anymore. Have a great trip.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #135
Rivet Master

Thanks Tom. I changed my trip to Chatfield SP TO 2 weeks later, to avoid a time crunch getting batteries warranties through Windish. They are working me in, so I have to roll with it. I am going mid July Monday-Friday. Have site next to one I originally had. You and Anney should join me, Tom. Get away from the heat.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #136
Rivet Master

Don, I'm still a greenhorn...till after these trips! Then, I can claim seasoned traveler status! LOL!
Old 06-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
My setting Sun and new Adventures for the Future...

Post #129. Loved the TWO complete rainbows over the camp site, the same day, different locations! My camera only could capture 80% of the complete arch. The Gateway to the Rockies... versus the other at St. Louis, Missouri!

As anyone knows, being able to BACK UP your tailer is very important in Off the Grid camping. As anyone experienced in Off the Grid camping... it is not always, necessary... BUT the thought would have easily persuaded some not to even try. Just learning the techniques of backing INTO a left, right or straight ahead spot is stressful enough for those who are experienced. Those who always opt for the tow in and out spots are very limited in their options.

Those who go to the Rallies may think they are in control of their trailer, but put them into an area without designated pull in and outs... and the stress begins to show. That feeling of helplessness is overwhelming to some and cannot be reduced unless you practice, practice and then practice doing the impossible at least several times on a camping vacation.

AlphaStream was the most enthusiastic Greenhorn of the group towing a trailer. She arrived early and had to practice ALL the difficult angles of backing into a spot to detach the trailer from the tow vehicle.

NoResults obviously had practiced before the Adventure and was now on his own. As were myself and Thalweg.

The Interstates in attendance... anywhere they wanted to park.

Most navigated the up and down of Monarch Pass to the East of Gunnison. THIS is one long and nasty pass for towing. Few if any 18 wheelers were seen, obviously finding a better route. I saw none.

Cottonwood Pass from Taylor Park to Buena Vista was a HALF Pass, as we took the gravel west side to the Pass, where it was asphalt the rest of the way to Buena Vista. Fourteen miles of gravel with tow vehicles only. The snowdrift in the photo #129 gives you an idea of how much snow was still remaining above tree line in mid June!

Anyone who managed to arrive and depart endured every possible weather condition... in one day at 9600 feet elevation. Once the sun peaks over the mountains to the East... the skin of the Airstreams soared to 100F+ and melted the frost and warmed the interiors of the trailers. We orientated the door sides of the trailers at a right angle to the rising sun to heat the interiors of the trailer... immediately! Another Boondocking trick at high elevation.

Someday someone on this Adventure may offer to others what they learned in a similar situation.

ColoradoLady and her problems with her NEW Interstate prevented her from enjoying a 100% no stress experience, but it appears that the local dealership will take care of her issues. Airstream needs to work harder at maintaining 100% customer satisfaction.

As I begin to find my interest waining as an advocate of Off the Grid Airstream camping, I am now on the search for the TRAILER that can handle all kinds of camping options. This is now my mission to find that brand of trailer that is dependable under the worst conditions that Mother Nature can toss my way. My Airstream after I upgrade what should have been done at the factory, might be no better or worse, but there must be something out there that does not require 100 pounds of tools, screws and hardware to maintain short or long trips into the unknown.

For all of us the Sun Rises and the Sun Sets... and after reflection, my sun is setting and I will be off into my big world of personal discovery, keeping fond memories of my attempt to give all of you a viable option to enjoy your trailer, no matter the brand to its best ability.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:55 PM   #138
Rivet Master

Ray, there are no words that will describe the gratitude that I have for you and Nancy, and the wonderful gift you offered to us all! You are two of the kindest and most selfless people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Even though I struggled with my darn batteries dying every darn day, you still came to my rescue, you wonderful two!

The altitude proved to me some limitations that my stubborn self had to experience to believe! Even so, you both had an unbelievable patience with me....though I firmly believe that I and my situation were becoming a major PIA!

I did learn a lot from you that I did not previously know. I wish I did not find it necessary to leave earlier than planned, but, it still was a positive trip for me. One I shall not forget. One more first for this fledgling greenhorn...one of many to come this summer and fall. I have gained a confidence as well as some cautious sense of further adventures to come.

Thank you both! And PLEASE DON'T LEAVE THE FORUM! Maybe I'll meet up with you one day...when I am no longer a greenhorn in need of so much help! I would prefer that!
Evelyn.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Just got back from this adventure. Thank you Ray and Nancy for inviting us on this trip. We had a great time and then went on to Moab over 100 every day.

Glad to have met all and look forward to seeing many of you again. Dave & Dixie
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #140
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tonganoxie , Kansas
Ray,
I always enjoy reading your posts, and respect all the knowledge you have and share with others.
If you are looking for a low maintenance trailer, take a look at a fiberglass Oliver.
olivertraveltrailers.com
After a year plus researching and looking for a used AS, we found Oliver and never looked back.

Regards
Stan
TWA640316 is offline   Reply With Quote