Old 04-13-2016, 08:20 PM   #85
Rivet Master

P.S.: I will be bringing wine and cheese and bread &/or crackers!

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:08 PM   #86
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Littleton , Colorado
Caravan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Are there any who will be traveling near or thru Denver area prior to and on the way to our boondocking rendevous...who may want to caravan or have a tag-a-long? If so, please
post a response, and we can arrange a meeting place and travel together. Looking forward to our new adventures! Evelyn.
We will be leaving from Littleton and would be glad to caravan with you. What day were you planning on going?

Ted & Kathy

Old 04-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #87
Rivet Master

Ted and Kathy, that will be great. Tjanson of CastleRock plans to leave early Monday morning June 13th. I have had a p.m. From him re: caravan together. We have yet to talk and set things up, but, have plenty time to do so. I will P.m. To you my contact info. It will be fun to have fellow travelers....and to stream a group of these beauties down the roadways of Colorado! Evelyn.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellinkat View Post
We will be leaving from Littleton and would be glad to caravan with you. What day were you planning on going?

Ted & Kathy
Ted and Cathy,, Evelyn Yes I am interested. I am retired and flexible to day and hours. Being a new place to I believe all of us it would be nice to get there and have plenty of daylight.
Tom Jansen
596 W Prestwick Way
Castle Rock, Co. 80104
720-891-1901
Old 04-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #89
Rivet Master

I agree, Tom, that daylight arrival will helpin set up, etc. I have left a voice message for you. Please call me...we'll talk. Evelyn.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:21 PM   #90

East Falmouth , Alaska
Posting coordinates helped my partner and me boondock on the north rim of the Grand Canyon last year.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Some Places must be kept... Secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodjen View Post
Posting coordinates helped my partner and me boondock on the north rim of the Grand Canyon last year.
Crazy Jug Point on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is a very interesting place for dispersed camping. This was a Thread some years back and is still remote enough with hazards existing to minimize the attraction to many.

If I were to post the exact coordinates of many of our previous campsites, they would be so full of campers, that the difficulty of finding the right dirt roads to find it would lessen the experience of discovery. Because of the remoteness and possibility of getting lost helps keep some areas... remote, few individuals are interested in doing the preliminary work and ask for GPS coordinates.

Sometimes in the wish to help others find remote campsites and being too free with information creates future issues.

Those Rockhounds who purchase the books that locate with maps the various places to collect rocks, minerals and fossils... do not waste your money. Everything has been picked up and little is left for discovery.

Since Off the Grid trailer campers are far and few to be found... people like myself can be generous with enough information, but only enough to make the journey a true adventure.

My Uncle in NW Montana was among the best fishermen in the area since the 1940's. He would not even tell his other three brothers where he managed to catch such large Lake and River Trout. He died with the secrets, but I have the photographs taken from those days. Sometimes... even those of us with the best intensions must keep some secrets. Myself included.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Most truly avid trout fishermen would sooner share their wives than the locations of their special places.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #93
Rivet Master

I am anxious to try to renew some decades old fishing ability on future trips, especially in June. Have new gear...need to break it in!
Old 04-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #94
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock , Colorado
Taylor Reservoir looks like the place to Fish. I will be bringing my Spinning and Fly rods.

Curecanti National Recreation Area West of Gunnison CO.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...6a2fd76323012d

Taylor Park Reservoir
Old 04-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
The largest trout are at the BRIDGE crossing. You will probably see the locals trying to get their attention.

As you go down 'river', it is back to using whatever flies are in season. The local DuBois fly shop in town will be the place to stock up on the seasonal hatch. This area is more fly rod territory and the area between Cheyenne and Laramie (Granite and Crystal Reservoirs) are excellent for spinning rod to toss the bubble and long leader with fly far off shore.

On the Lander Cutoff up and over to Oregon Buttes, we may stop along a three foot wide and three feet deep 'stream' where the trout have found safe haven. I do not know if it is public fishing or private, it would have to be checked out... but I have seen them... myself lacking a pole. Lander Creek and the Sweetwater River... are within 45 minutes from our Dispersed camp at Oregon Buttes.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Zip Dee Awnings: Open or Rolled up options

There is a thread running concerning awnings on their Airstreams.

Our 'awning test' will test your agility by extending your awning, by yourself. It is easier with two people, but that is not always possible. It does not hurt to understand that the awning can be extended and properly secured by one person.

There are pro and cons of securing an open awning on the ends to the ground using a rope and anchor. Both sides have merit. 100% of the time, Common Sense prevails. At least, what my common sense has operated for me in the Rocky Mountains. WE will practice the options listed below for a good understanding how this works.

The awning has FOUR SETTINGS on each end. These are determined where the adjustment holes are located in the awning rod. Once the rods are attached and locked, the initial setting is determined AFTER the tension rod is locked into place. This keeps the awning stiff and secure from sagging. The lowest click, I will call the first, then the second, third and the highest click setting is fourth.

WET and Rain:

- During rainy weather it is important to keep a 'dry zone' with your awning. The awning has a left (by the doorway) and a right (the back of the trailer). Those who have the reverse, just think in reverse. The adjustment on the door side goes to the top, or fourth click, maximum setting. The opposite side goes to the third click. The water will drain from the doorway side to the opposite side of the trailer. Yes...it is not level. You want the water to flow away from the door.

- If is is raining and light wind, you lower the door side to the third click, which reduces your ability to open the door fully without the top door curve dragging on the bottom material of the awning. The opposite side is left at the third click. You can use your hand to push the awning up so the door clears to open and to close, push the awning above to clear the top corner of the door.
(On the 4th click, the door clears the awning on most. On the 3rd click, you will leave an arc of wear on the awning's surface.

I like to have a five gallon bucket full of rocks/dirt on either end once you have set up to secure from a wind gust. The rope is firm, but not tight. It has to be adjusted when you reset the 'clicks'. Depending if you are sheltered and your best judgment is light winds, if any... securing is only a precaution.

Dry and Clear Days:

- Set up the trailer, when possible, where the sun is setting on the backside of the trailer or you are facing at an angle. You want the awning and door side facing the morning sun, but not the afternoon sun in the mountains as the temperatures have a large temperature spread. This will be discussed, as well. (Bring a compass, find approximately sunrise and go from there.)

- Always... expect gusts of wind during the DAY or NIGHT. You can bend or break parts of your awning support system! I have at least ONE replacement 'claw' always on hand. Or you need a drill and bolt to repair a broken claw. We will discuss that, as well.

- When leaving your trailer, lower the awning to the first click. In direct sun on that side, it helps keep the trailer cooler. Light winds are not a problem and even a gust has minimal effect.

- When leaving your trailer and winds are gusty, ROLL IT UP. This is the safest method.

NEVER roll up your awning when it is wet from morning dew. NEVER roll up your awning while raining to leave... without remembering to take the first opportunity to dry it out when things clear up. Mildew is not good. Sometimes you cannot dry the awning out at the time, but it is necessary as soon as possible.

You would have never given some of this a thought. The Zip Dee awning fabric is excellent. It gets better with age. Mine has never leaked or deteriorated from the sun. When sunny, cloudy or raining... you will appreciate it more. Even having an awning on your opposite side is a bonus.

You would think this is all simple to describe. It is not. If you made it this far, you will not be scratching your head wondering what happened to your awning. The RV dealership bent one of the inner support rods before selling it to me and said it would loosen up with use. I barely could remove it and found the bend by removing the inner rod. I took a rubber mallet and did the best to get it straight. I ended up replacing the rod, now you are also aware to check the awning out before you BUY.

Although myself and others do want to help, many are in a RV Park environment. Our trailers are in different circumstances. Sometimes sheltered and sometimes exposed to morning and evening wind churning. If everyone understood, Zip Dee would sell fewer replacement parts to those learning, by trial and error.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:57 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
The largest trout are at the BRIDGE crossing. You will probably see the locals trying to get their attention.

As you go down 'river', it is back to using whatever flies are in season. The local DuBois fly shop in town will be the place to stock up on the seasonal hatch. This area is more fly rod territory and the area between Cheyenne and Laramie (Granite and Crystal Reservoirs) are excellent for spinning rod to toss the bubble and long leader with fly far off shore.

On the Lander Cutoff up and over to Oregon Buttes, we may stop along a three foot wide and three feet deep 'stream' where the trout have found safe haven. I do not know if it is public fishing or private, it would have to be checked out... but I have seen them... myself lacking a pole. Lander Creek and the Sweetwater River... are within 45 minutes from our Dispersed camp at Oregon Buttes.
I think you're getting your threads crossed Ray. I believe this would fit in the Wyoming thread.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Substitute 'Colorado Town' for DuBois... for update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
I think you're getting your threads crossed Ray. I believe this would fit in the Wyoming thread.

The Bridge and Trout is right on track. I derailed at DuBois. It would be the 'town' where we turn off to our Base Camp in Colorado. Trying not to give out too much detail of where we will be located to those not attending.

Too many irons in the fire. But... once in Wyoming... DuBois Fly Shop is next to our turn off to Double Cabin.

At least someone caught this one. Thanks for the helping me get an update. We will use you as a First Aid Victim now Unifreck sent this fantastic first aid kit to me, since you volunteered. ColoradoLady will also volunteer to give everyone some pointers on Wilderness First Aid... huh?