Old 03-24-2016, 09:22 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Greenhorns... #16

We have Greenhorn #16... woodguyco. Tom & Sally.

Welcome to this Adventure. Since they do not have a dog, we have a loaner Blue Heeler.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:00 PM   #72
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Lubbock , Texas
My husband and I would love to attend the Greenhorn school. I have been reading the post for the past several days. We are proud owners of a 1976 Overlander. We have been out 4 times, but had full hookups each time. She is 27' long and is really wanting to go park somewhere far away from lights and noise. I will find the form and fill it out.
Greg and Lisa from Lubbock, Texas

Old 03-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
June 13 to 17, 2016 are the confirmed dates

Greenhorn #16, woodguyco... misspoke and not attending. Maybe next time.

Lisa... I sent to you an email. This takes place in June and you indicated that the second or third week in July worked best for you. I kept your profile, but if you find that the June 13 to 17, 2016 can fit into your schedule, let me know.

You are right. This is how you 'break the ice' of an alternative to RV Parks and established full hookup.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:53 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Boondocking West School

You already have me on your Boondocking West email list, so I just wanted to ask how late is "too late" to join your June expedition? As plans look now, I will just be getting to CO after a 7-week cross-country the week before your adventure starts. I almost for sure won't know until then if I can manage to get the CO house set up in time to be ready. But I'd sure like to join in....
Old 03-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Boondocking School for Greenhorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barretta2 View Post
You already have me on your Boondocking West email list, so I just wanted to ask how late is "too late" to join your June expedition? As plans look now, I will just be getting to CO after a 7-week cross-country the week before your adventure starts. I almost for sure won't know until then if I can manage to get the CO house set up in time to be ready. But I'd sure like to join in....

There are plenty of camping options where we will be going in Colorado. It is about 4 to 5 hours to the site.

Unlike the other Adventures, this area has enough open space and established Forest Service sites for 30 trailers. More if you use dispersed campsites.. You need not have an Airstream.. just a tent would do. A great time for a 'trailer hunter' to see how different lengths have advantages and disadvantages.

Once you have sent to me the information to be added onto the list, you will then receive additional information. The day before we leave is enough notice, but then you could have missed important details. That is on this Thread.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
We will have an experienced 'Map person' with us on this Adventure. This relieves myself from giving a mediocre map class, although I will be hauling a carton of maps I use for locating those special locations to set up a trailer.

It would be convenient if you bring a compass. AS long as the compass indicates north... it is good enough for this event. A 12" ruler can create some nice topography profiles from the contours on USGS quadrangles.

Everyone is familiar with individual State Maps. After you see the wide variety of other maps available, you will understand there are maps for many uses. Better maps cost more, but will last a lifetime.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:09 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Littleton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Well... here are a couple Survival Tips for those who actually show up...

Fill your Fresh Water Tank before we leave. Just in case. Sounds like you might be able to use a plastic jug and use local spring water. Your choice. Your issue.

Tires: Inflate not only those on the ground... but check the Spare Tire.

Bring a light weight water hose. How long? Only as long as you need...

Extension cord... How long? See... you are already catching on.

Flash Light. The brighter the better. For guys... that 1000 lumen is a whopper!
I am lost as to why we would need an extension cord while boon docking? If I am going to have a chance of bringing one that might be helpful, I need to know why I might need one so that I can decide what kind (Household extension cord? The kind I use with the electric grass trimmer? An extension cord for our 30 amp cord?)

Very much looking forward to this. I love learning new things. And there is nothing better than learning from seasoned veterans.

Kathy (of Ted and Kathy) (#4 on The List)
Old 03-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
... the list goes on.

Mellinkat... you will not always be stuck out in the 'bush' without power. Stopped at a campsite with electricity you will discover that with an extension cord it can be handy... Also have your 30amp cable/cord with you at all times.

Someone running a Honda Generator can hook up others at the same time. Maybe someone with experience of 'sharing a Honda' can chime in.

I also carry the adapter for the 30amp plug to use an extension cord that can plug into a grounded outlet, most likely at a RV parts shop. You are not going to be able to run your AC... as the wiring from the source is not designed to handle that much electricity going through, but lights, water pump, furnace fan all seem to purr right along. This works to convert the 30amp plug to a 110volt 20 amp extension cord to the Honda generator as well.

I carry the 'orange' extension cord you can find at Lowes or Home Depot. I also buy some good quality nylon rope and carry a tarp. Several empty five gallon buckets that slide into one another. A short handled shovel.

Sometimes when you have the awning out and it is raining and... windy. You can fill a five gallon bucket with rocks and tie one bucket to each end of the awning. It holds the awning steady and not bend your suspension rods or break the 'crab claw' that locks onto the awning. I even carry one, might have two of these 'claws' in the event one breaks. Flip a bucket over and a temporary seat, or carry water from the river to wash dishes.

If you have the awning out while hiking, you either have to roll it back up in the event the wind picks up... or the two bucket option works fine.

A couple of folding lawn chairs is always a... luxury when sitting outside.

Sometimes the RV sales people demonstrating how an awning works, leave it out and a big wind comes through overnight and bends the support rods. You will learn how to check that out, if you ask during this trip.

This stuff weighs very little and when needed can be a big problem. A shovel can dig out access to a dispersed camp site just off the main road grade. The bucket of grit can be used to fill a hole that you need to drive over...

Eventually you will find multiple uses for things that are designed for... like a butter knife used as a temporary screw driver you never needed before. A hunting knife to cut a 50 foot rope down into 12 foot ropes to tie down an awning from the wind and rain blowing in from the back open end of the awning to keep a dry area.

Not that we want all of this fury of nature among us... the sun and moon are not always out without the rain showers and wind to appreciate the interior of your trailer.

You will also have to know when to take the awning... down, before the wind does it for you.

Matches or something to light a camp fire if necessary. Paper towels... never seem to have enough. Drying towels on your awning supports.

I carry three, sometimes four floor mats that are about three by five feet that I roll up and put into the back of the tow vehicle. When camped, they go out front and keep the grit, dirt, mud etc. from being brought into the trailer.

... and the list goes on. Thanks for asking about the extension cord. Next... a small tool box needs.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:46 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Do any of you feel a need to take a water purifier with you, such as this?
http://www.ems.com/msr-guardian-puri...=Email04032016
Old 04-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Water, water everywhere... but none to drink

[QUOTE=MaineStreamer;1771084]Do any of you feel a need to take a water purifier with you, such as this?

I have never needed one for fifty years. If you are back packing into the mountains using stream or spring water, a 'chlorine' tablet was used in the canteen. (They had these in the Army and I cannot recall what they were called.)

Some 'well water' systems commonly found at National Forest campsites may have sand and grit with the water supply. Those filters that screw onto your water hose can take care of that and not add silt and sand into your water lines. Other fine organic and inorganic solids can also be removed by various filter canisters.

Our home's well will get fine sand and silt filtered out before it enters our water lines in the house. We do not use chlorine and neutralize the pH and then soften the hard water to avoid calcium build up on the faucets.

I have never had any issues with mountain well water at Forest Service campsites. If needed, I would drink out of a mountain stream, but best not, if possible just to be 100% safe. Moving water is preferred over water along the edge of a clear flowing stream. Boiling water to drink is the safest way to be certain no parasites are lurking.

The Rocky Mountains are full of 'radioactive minerals' and no doubt small amounts in the natural water in these areas. The background radiation is high in some areas. Granite and volcanics are naturally radioactive from just the minerals they are composed. So even things you are not aware exist... are right under your two hiking boots.

If I were to be conscious of everything that was naturally occurring on our trips... my hair would turn grey.

Dissolved minerals in natural water vary from place to place. You could easily become paranoid about drinking water... so bring bottled water to drink and clean local water for everything else. The fat in fish can contain dissolved metals and chemicals. I have several thousand US Geological Survey Water Supply papers... if I read those, I would probably drink more beer and wine and live an extra week in the process of all the worry.

Well... my hair has turned grey. It happens to the best of us.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Tire Changes, Leveling Trailer, Chocks & Blocks

I want all of you to read: "How to Jack Up your Airstream" under the General Repair Forum.

These are experienced Airstream owners. Just read the posts. Then do not give it any more thought until we are all together in June. Some of these are a bit extreme ideas.

Flat Tire removal:

IF you have a single axle... do you have a hydraulic jack? A car jack will work, but you will discover that it takes a lot of effort to use your tow vehicle's jack. If no one has a hydraulic jack... I will bring ours. From WalMart a 20 ton Black Jack that was not very expensive. Yes, overkill. I have had it for over ten years and have not used it much... but when you do, it is too late.

If you have a Double Axle, have your leveling blocks handy. You will be expected to be able to get a wheel off the ground, as if it is flat. Just to understand HOW to do it. Same if you need the hydraulic jack for a Single Axle. Hopefully you never have a flat tire... but if you do, you will be prepared. I just wanted to bring this up... again.

Leveling Bubbles... TWO are needed:

IF you have not put the leveling bubbles on your trailer, buy a pair. These are arched with an air bubble that gives you an idea of how many inches are needed to level your trailer at the campsite. You do not need those big clunky looking things. Mine are made by Hopkins, about 4 inches wide and a inch+ tall, thin and have a range of +7" to -7". Some are clear fluid, some are greenish tint. Bring a carpenter's level about 18" long or longer. I used a 4 foot level which makes it more accurate... but you may not notice the minute difference in accuracy. They need not be expensive. The least expensive ones with the adhesive back will do the job.

By having a level for front to back and left side to right side... things will not be rolling off your dining table surface or counter tops... too much. You can see how I have mine mounted, with the peel off the paper and the adhesive backing. It sticks well. You can add some caulking to the top for a ten year adhesive.

Chocks and Blocks:

The Chocks are plastic wedges that keep your trailer's wheels from moving when the tow vehicle is disconnected. The 'blocks' are the about 12" squares of plastic that you can attach them on top of one another to level your trailer from left to right. They usually come in a pack of TEN. Always seems like 12 are usually needed some times and I have two TEN Packs for my double axle trailer. You will understand when in an area that is not very level. Most spots will need four inches of lift to level the trailer to within a half to one inch. A double axle needs the two packs of ten. The single axle ten blocks are enough to work with.

Again... I have brought these items up before, but remind you that without these leveling blocks... you are not going to be a 'happy camper'.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
ITINERARY for Greenhorns

I have an Itinerary together and activity list. I estimate from Castle Rock our Base Camp is 265 miles. The majority is asphalt and highway speeds on State Highways.

Nancy and I will be leaving Castle Rock, Saturday June 11th. This is to get to the Base Camp and check out what to expect. Anyone interested in coming along is more than welcome. You know where, but keep it to yourselves so not to have too much information out there BEFORE we get to the campsites.

I have 'blocked out location details' as to our location for obvious reasons. There are also options by Wednesday June 15th to actually locate your own dispersed campsite and move to it.

The weekends may be deserted or busy, and that is why I officially start the Boondocking dates on a Monday. Saturday, Sunday or Monday arrival is your decision. There is more to do than FIVE days can cover without being busy.

If coming early let me know in advance: boondockingairstream@gmail.com

2016 Boondocking for Greenhorns Itinerary (with some details XXXXX)

(Day 1) June 12/13 Sunday/Monday

Set up trailers at Base Camp
- Level, detach tow vehicle
- Attach ‘level bubbles’ for those who have them
- Flush air from water system, Hot Water tank plug installed
- Battery power conservation techniques
- Check out area on your own
- Possible Lodge Dinner as a group before sunset

(Day 2) Tuesday June 14

Trailer ‘Merry go Round’
- Attach Tow Vehicle to Trailer
- Rotate to next site
- Level, detach tow vehicle
- Repeat and Rotate to Next Site and demonstrate how to use levelers to remove wheel from trailer
- Repeat and Rotate to Next Site
- Extend Awning if available

(Day 3) Wednesday June 15

- Watch HOW to use leveling blocks to cross obstacles
- Attach Tow Vehicle to Trailer to repeat crossing obstacles yourself
- Return to Base Camp, detach trailer for those who want to locate a Dispersed Campsite along River
- Those who find an open dispersed site along river can relocate to that site
- Tow vehicles to XXXXX to those interested / or / XXXXXX for Boondocking surveying

(Day 4) Thursday June 16

- Explore dispersed campsites down to XXXXX to XXXXX on Hwy. XXXXXX.
- NFS pay campsite OR dispersed campsite woods. (Count trailers interested.)
- If everyone is interested in moving campsite to new Boondocking dispersed campsite… we will move
- Set up at new dispersed campsite... TRUE Boondocking experience!

(Day 5) Friday June 17

- Explore area with tow vehicles. Buddy up if you have seat space available.
- Have a late Lunch in XXXXXX, top off fuel tanks
- Return to Dispersed Campsite / Base Camp / River campsite

(Day 6) Saturday June 18
- Depart or stay in the area to explore more
Old 04-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Castle Rock rendezvous "Gone with the Wind"

Nancy and I will actually be leaving Castle Rock, CO to Quemado, NM on May 7th. Then Base Camped for the 2016 Quemado, NM Adventure in the Gila National Forest until May 13th...or so.

While on our walk with our two Blue Heelers, and Dingo the lame Blue Heeler doing the hike, we decided after Quemado, NM we were going to work our way to Boulder City, Nevada and NOT return to Castle Rock. We will leave Nevada and work our way to the Base Camp of Boondocking for Greenhorns directly without returning to Colorado.

There is plenty of exploring and campsites to locate in Nevada, Utah and western Colorado for future Adventures. Why waste the camping for driving?

So... anyone, like tjansen may have thought the original Castle Rock departure was convenient... it may not happen. Possibly ColoradoLady and tjansen can catch a couple others coming through Denver and make it a fun trip to location XXXXX.

This is not 100% certain, but the logistics sure are 100% and I am anxious to get out and explore more sites this year than last year.

There is plenty of space for other interested travelers on this Adventure. For the majority of Airstream owners... this is balancing on the edge of the Earth, relative to a big campground experience and candlelight dining, where the moon and stars will do us, just fine!

Base Camps and Dispersed Camping may change... but the enthusiasm will not. This is a wonderful area even for experienced Base Campers in the Boondocks. After this trip and experience... you will yawn and find that you were always capable of doing this on your own... but just needed to discover that only your imagination of getting lost and eaten by a bear... kept you from starting... this June.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:19 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Are there any who will be traveling near or thru Denver area prior to and on the way to our boondocking rendevous...who may want to caravan or have a tag-a-long? If so, please
post a response, and we can arrange a meeting place and travel together. Looking forward to our new adventures! Evelyn.

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote