Old 02-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Flat Tires- replacing by yourself!

Flat Tires: You are expected to understand HOW to remove and install a spare tire onto your trailer.

1- Single Axles: KNOW where the jack is to be used on YOUR MODEL. There is one specific place to place a jack on opposite sides of your trailer, and I add a piece of lumber for a larger surface area. You do not jack up the trailer using the axles. Placing the jack in the wrong place will damage your trailer. Read, yes read, your owner's manual and locate your trailer's specific spot on your trailer. It is marked underneath your trailer. You are expected to know this by June 13th. Do you even have a crank jack, from your vehicle?, or a portable hydraulic jack?

2- Double axles:... you have it easier. If you do not know how to remove and install a spare tire... bring your leveling blocks. You will be doing this, if not familiar.

3- Triple Axles? Boondocking does limit your ability to navigate gravel roads and switchbacks on most mountain roads in the West.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
For my boondocking all my tires that will touch the ground are 10 ply rated. And still, it seems, about once a year I damage a tire and all the wind falls out. So changing a tire is a must since it may be about a 10 hour trip to the nearest tire store. Once I went through all 3 tires on my single axle trailer.................... so, not only changing, but repairing tires is a near necessity. And I always take my self-repaired tires to a tire shop, when near one, for the professional, permanent fix.

I would like to be on this trip, but cannot, so would like to suggest that maybe a person in your group who has the knowledge, equipment, and materials and hold a tire repair and reinflation class some evening. It is not hard, anyone that can change a tire can repair one. All you need is a tire repair kit and a 12 volt compressor.

Have fun on your adventure. Maybe I will see you sometime at the end of some back road.

Sam

Old 03-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Greenhorn Boondocking update

Greenhorns will not know WHERE we will be going to until the day we gather to leave. It will be southwest of Castle Rock and a good four hours +/-.

Of course it will be wonderful.

Bring a inexpensive compass. Learn some tricks as I make them up.

This area we will be base camping is no more or less difficult than most of the 2016 Wyoming Adventure. IF you can manage this five day Adventure... you can manage most major Forest Service roads in the Rockies. Getting OFF of the major roads is the tough part. We will discuss how and you will have an opportunity to practice, if needed, how to get off and onto the the major Forest Service roads.

WATCH for loose angular rocks in the road, as samb would also advise to avoid a potential flat tire. Not that any will exist... they can. The driver watches the road to travel around anything to avoid and the passenger watches for encroaching bushes alongside the road and low hanging branches. Not that there will be any on this trip... but future trips will have you prepared for these potential obstacles.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Greenhorn Boondockers

I had a question this afternoon about access to this area and if there was a lot of hiking involved.

Access is upon a well maintained paved/gravel road. I am pulling a 25 foot Airstream. I could probably manage a 34 foot Airstream if necessary. This is a Greenhorn Boondocking Adventure... not a Mount Everest Expedition. But... that could be fun, too.

Activities:
- Hiking if and when you feel like it.
- I recall from years ago a restaurant not... too far from where we will be... so that is an option. A family run lodge restaurant...
- The Royal Gorge and Canon City, CO are within driving range for several things. One is to pay to cross the Royal Gorge Suspension Bridge... it IS an experience. On the east side of the bridge are lots of activities. Check it out on a Google Search... lots of things to do.
- There is a fully equipped Gold Mine at tree line that was so remote at one time, that nobody bothered to take it apart and move the equipment somewhere else. The road is bumpy, but if you have a 4x4... I have done it and well worth the experience.
- The Greenhorn aspect you will discover is not something to be uneasy. We had camped here in a tent and also in our 23 foot Airstream years ago.

The entire purpose is for your "Boondocking experience" as something to look forward to and not be worried about trying something new and out of your comfort zone, again.

I promise you that after these five days... you will be taking friends to this SAME PLACE... or attempting more Base Camping trips on your own, or some Adventure offered on the Forum.

Since we are there during the middle of the week... there are some convenient river pullouts for trailers, that some of you may try to test your new found courage before the end of this Adventure.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:17 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Thanks, Ray. Good to know. I look forward to it!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
Sounds like fun and will be a new experience for us.
Gloria
Old 03-20-2016, 12:30 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Greenhorn Boondocking School notice

Everyone participating on this 2016 Boondocking for Greenhorns should have received an email today with additional information necessary for this trip. If you are one of the 15 planning on coming and did not receive this email, please contact me directly so I can correct any errors on my list.

It was suggested that all who qualify for the Senior Pass purchase one at a National Park office or Federal Recreation Lands Pass or other similar offices for a minimal cost. The savings on this trip alone may cover the cost of this lifetime pass.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
June 13 to June 17, 2016

I am asked frequently about "when there is a definite date", let me know.

There is and has been. June 13 to June 17, 2016
Since there are five or six dispersed forest service campsites, there is no limit of people wanting to come.

The itinerary has been sent to everyone on my list of active travelers. You can meet at several locations now that you have the exact location(s). This could save on doubling back on your trip to the Denver or Castle Rock gathering point if you are not arriving in the Denver/Castle Rock area.

Anyone wanting to Boondock on my cul de sac is more than welcome. I suggest coming the afternoon of June 12th and ready to leave at, or before, 9AM on June 13th, if everyone expected has arrived.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Salem , Oregon
Anyone coming from Oregon that would like to hook up for the trip down.

Dave
Old 03-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Some 'icing' for your Greenhorn Cake

NoResults... there are two Greenhorns coming from California. Most are from Colorado, then SC, WY, AZ, MN, NE, NM. Great idea.

One advantage is getting over the uncomfortable feeling of Boondocking on your own, there are some BIG advantages to these experiences. Each time you Boondock, it becomes routine.

Although the majority of Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and National Forest (NF) are in more remote areas of the western USA, there are many potential campsites that are not very far from National Parks, National Historic Sites, State Parks and so on. Having your State Atlas handy, you can identify 'public' lands where you can set up camp and not be violating any rules that prohibit camping. It is usually posted, if not always.

You must not be blocking a road, two track, two rut or ingress or egress in and out of an area. That is... you cannot just stop in a road and park. You must find a pull off that is 'established'. Established is what I call a side road to usually a dry camp or hunter's campsite. The 2016 Wyoming Adventure will be doing this kind of camping.

Most if not all dispersed camping on Public Lands must be 150 feet from the main road. Sixteen days is a typical limit and you have to move to another campsite. The next needs to be five miles as the road winds through the area. This way you do not 'homestead' and prevent others from being able to camp at the spot you have been sitting for three months.

It has been suggested to ask a landowner if you can camp on their property. Most western landowners have had bad experiences with giving permission. You see enough of these careless and thoughtless people at established campsites having some supervision. I find this a great idea, but not practical for the landowner.

On this short adventure, you will find a number of side roads that look... tempting. We will test your temptation by Base Camping and then... drive a road to actually see what is around the next curve or over the hill. Sometimes it becomes a situation where you have to back out for a long distance for this common mistake of Greenhorn judgement. Been there, done it... ONCE.... maybe twice.

A good USNF site is www.forestcamping.com/dow/intro/introduc.htm

Once you begin to 'explore' the internet, the information is more than one can appreciate, at first. Often there are books sold that provide places to camp. IF they sell thousands of these books... there will be thousands of campers who can show up before you. Keep that in mind.

MY kind of campsite is found by accident in the area I would like to Base Camp. Read that sentence one more time. Accident. Most of the best campsites are not in a book and many not even on a map, unless designated for multiple sites. Hunter's camps are everywhere in the Rocky Mountains and used for ten or one hundred years. I have found 45/70 cartridges used in the late 19th century and early 20th century at hunter's camps.

One private ranch I have found cartridges for Henry, Winchester, Sharps and other unusual Civil War Era cartridges. Most are from the late 1860's and modern hunter's cartridges upon the surface while hiking in Wyoming! I actually have started collecting them and the lead bullets found as well! Improves your health and eye sight.

I do recommend that you begin by camping at established public campsites that may or may not have a minimal charge per evening. It is well worth the cost. Detach the trailer and look for a more 'private' campsite that is an easy into and out of...

For trailer security, I have a bracket I can lock onto my trailer's ball hitch that needs a key to unlock. It is very easy for anyone to attach your trailer and take it. Most RV suppliers have these security units available. They are made of hardened steel and it prevents someone from cutting the security feature off without a cutting torch, which few carry around with them, if anyone.

I will bring the one I currently use and one I wanted to upgrade to make it even more difficult to remove.

Never a short post. These are ideas you can work on in the meanwhile. Every time you hookup and go camping... think before you do something you will regret.

Remember. There are people selling everything to 'help you'. Well, they may also want just to sell you something you may not need. Like your tow vehicle mirror 'extenders', which I feel are a waste of money, once you learn to 'tweak a peak' while moving.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
I Could be an IDIOT

Zzzzzzz. I know, too much information. But... 'I am an Idiot' thread under On the Road is an example of what many Greenhorns are ALSO capable of doing at any time. It can happen anywhere, to anyone not paying attention. Even to those who were able to avoid common mistakes for 100 years towing their Airstream... in their sleep and text messaging.

Before detaching, always secure your trailer.

- Chock the tires from rolling forward or backward... FIRST. These are usually plastic wedges you get with the Leveling Blocks at WalMart or a RV Shop. We have two pairs of chocks to secure both sides of the trailer. We place both between the tires, opposite one another. Your savings account will not be depleted. Once you detach... try to move both chocks. Chances are one is already working for YOU. Your trailer DID move.

Then proceed to detaching... everything from chains to power plug.

- I have four 2"x12"x12" that I slide under my trailer "jack pad" to level the trailer from front to back. I even have a 1"x12"x12" to save me time jacking up the trailer to save battery 'power'. This lumber will lay level (or shovel it flat to be level) and are nice and secure. If the soil is soft or damp... the large surface area does not sink into the turf.

- Rarely do we crank down the 'stabilizers'. There are one in each corner beneath your trailer. Crank them down so when you walk around in the trailer it does not 'wobble'. ...unless we are staying longer than a couple days, even then we do not spend that much time inside the trailer when moving... or parked and do not bother. I hate to sweat and to use an electric drill with socket... that is cheating yourself out of some fine exercise.

- When there are a couple working together on the 'check list' of things to do to DETACH or ATTACH the trailer, fewer things will go wrong. If it is raining and neither are paying attention... things WILL go wrong.

- Always do a 'walk around the trailer' before you leave home, leave a campsite or at a gasoline station. Seem redundant? Yep... that is the idea. Watching a trailer going down the highway with their door open during a rain is only funny for the spectators. Open windows could be very funny as well...

- Secure your awning. I have seen too many trailers alongside the Interstate with what is left of an awning that caught some air, opened and ripped off... dragging alongside. Again, funny for a spectator, only to see YOURS flapping in the wind as you pass the other.

- The 'passenger' is allowed to point out to the driver:
a car coming, how close you are to the concrete filled iron pipe to protect the gasoline pumps, ...are you sure our plumbing will clear that (fill in the blank), and something always to be aware... fuel tank is at 1/4 tank... don't you think we should stop and fill up? Guys can be as dense as a 2x4 piece of lumber.

- If you are in the deep forest and you see a plume of white smoke... start thinking of what you are going to do next. If you are in the deep forest and SMELL a campfire and you have no neighbors or a campfire of your own... start thinking of what you are going to do next.

- I have to add. Look at your Brake Controller. If you are plugged into your trailer and if you are NOT... know the difference.

Greenhorns are called 'horns' because they are not antlers and do not shed, yet. A buck makes a bad move and loses an antler during rut... a new pair will grow over the winter months. An antelope or bison loses a horn... it has to be embarrassing. All is forgiven once you have earned your fresh new antlers to show off to the Doe's in town.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
- Rarely do we crank down the 'stabilizers'. There are one in each corner beneath your trailer. Crank them down so when you walk around in the trailer it does not 'wobble'. ...unless we are staying longer than a couple days, even then we do not spend that much time inside the trailer when moving... or parked and do not bother. I hate to sweat and to use an electric drill with socket... that is cheating yourself out of some fine exercise.
On smaller, lighter trailers, the stabilizers may do more than control wobble. It may prevent the trailer from popping a wheelie when someone goes to the rear of the trailer. This happened to us when I was a kid, and my dad was inexperienced at trailer camping. We all sat down to dinner, and all of a sudden the tongue of the trailer pops up. Fried chicken and mashed potatoes everywhere.

Just something to keep in mind.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Thalweg.... only if we had the video, you could have bought a collection of antique Airstreams if you won the Funniest Video contest.

That is why some are called Pop Up Trailers.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:59 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I must have been 8-9 at the time. Dad had just bought the camper. It was some sort of '60s canned ham. Probably about 18 ft. I think we were on a Forest Service campground around Casper Mountain. I remember an old feller in the campground came running to make sure everyone was okay. He loaned us some jack stands to put on the back of the camper. Everyone laughed about it later, except mom, who got burnt on chicken grease.

That was a lesson I learned at a young age. Now, I always have at least one jack in the back.