Old 03-06-2008, 06:50 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
dearborn heights , Michigan
the point I'm trying to make here is:
1 in every 11 Americans are incarcerated.
the #1 sector in the building industry is correctional facilities.

where do you think all this crime happens?

Old 03-06-2008, 07:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Air,
crime happens
but it ain't 1880 Tonto basin out there...

chill

Old 03-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Air4us, Not trying to be smart, I think you are in danger every time you leave your house and in some areas when in your house. The point I would like to make is if you are going to enjoy life you have to take a lot of chances. Airstream Gypsy is correct, your first impression is usually the right one if you don't feel good about it get out. I never disconnect my trailer if I am just stopping for the night. Be aware of your surroundings and go have some fun.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:59 AM   #18
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
We don't even like to stay at campgrounds where the gates are open at night.
Wouldn't sleep to well at a truck stop or the like.
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #19
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR4US
the point I'm trying to make here is:
1 in every 11 Americans are incarcerated.
the #1 sector in the building industry is correctional facilities.

where do you think all this crime happens?
Actually, a large portion of those incarcerated are in jail as the result of our bizarre drug policies, not violent crime.

As for me, as a general rule, I figure if a place isn't safe to overnight, its probably not safe during the day either.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I've boondocked all over from far south Florida to the Pacific Northwest, and only occasionally feel a sense of uneasyness. Usually it's at a "first time" location where there are no other RV's in sight. The feeling is the same whether I'm the only rig in a campground or I'm parked way off by myself. But then, it is the same feeling I get whenever I start something I know to present dangers, like putting a new roof on my home or driving thru a city for the first time. I proceed but with caution! By the second or third day/night any uneasyness passes and I relax and enjoy. I very rarely overnight at rest areas, too much noise and historically too much crime. I very rarely overnight at truck stops, less than 4 times in 6 years. Too much noise and toooooo many truck drivers with "in your face" attitude!
I do plan my trips in advance so I have a recognized boondocking location for the day's destination and, a "backup plan" just in case!

To "secure" the trailer against GTA while I'm sightseeing, I always put the support feet down and supporting trailer weight. I always put a lock on the ball latch, and I almost always extend the awning at least a foot or two unless the weather is threatening. I try to make it look like it's going to take some work and knowledge of travel trailers to steal it!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
good advice.

the only drawback we considered before buying an a/s was the bling factor...
not at all the flashy type

i know and u know where we fall in the pecking order compared to prevost, and the like.. but there's the whole 'millionaire airstreamer' misconception

has anybody ever had any incidents they want to share?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I don't stop overnight at parking lots (Wal-Marts), truck stops or rest areas. I've seen folks at some of the Wal-Mart's in the area and personally I wouldn't want to be there overnight, but that's because I know the area and what lies beyond the bounds of that parking lot. To me there is relative safety in numbers and probably if I were forced to use one of the three, the truck stop might be my preferred choice.....but if you don't know the area, I'd avoid the parking lot scenario.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:36 AM   #23

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Ask a local

Mrs. HiHo hit on an idea we have used a few times. Pick the smallest town in the area and call the mayors office. Ask where there is a place you can stop for the night in their lovely town. We have been very surprised with the outcome, and met some really neat people.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #24
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I don't stop overnight at parking lots (Wal-Marts), truck stops or rest areas.
Jack
I've stayed in State Parks where the campers around me presented as much of a danger as those folks found at truck stops, rest stops, and Wal-Marts. Indiana Dunes comes immediately to mind...

You shop at the grocery store with the very folks you should be afraid of, you just don't recognize them as a threat there.

Use common sense, pay attention to who and what is around you, take reasonable precautions for your safety, and the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor that you'll be fine anywhere you stay.

I'll grant you that I'm one of those folks your mommas told you to stay away from, but I can't think of a single moment of RV time in all the years I've done it that I've felt particularly menaced anywhere, and in 33 years of law enforcement experience, I can only recall one instance of a violent attack on the resident of an RV, and that was only after he failed to deliver the methamphetamine he'd promised.

C'mon guys. Paranoia doesn't become us. You're generally as safe in your Airstream as you are at home, however safe that may be.

Roger
Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
enforcement experience, I can only recall one instance of a violent attack on the resident of an RV, and that was only after he failed to deliver the methamphetamine he'd promised.
ROTFLMAO
Old 03-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Roger, I'm not a paranoia type person but I do believe in "crimes of opportunity". I think for the career criminal, they will get you anywhere, but for others it's spur of the moment because the opportunity presented itself.

It's much like the folks who leave possessions clearly visible within their vehicles. Sure it's locked but someone strolled by, saw the stuff, and poof it's gone. Was someone stalking your vehicle for the break in? Probably not.
Instead you presented an opportunity that someone took.

Same in choosing where you stop overnight. I'm sure there have been campgrounds that I stayed in that probably were on the edge of some seamy areas. But clearly that lone motor home I see parked behind a local Sam's Club in a questionable metro area is probably at greater risk than if they had driven another 20 miles and overnighted at the KOA.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #27
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
grand theft auto

comparatively speaking, for cities with ~100k population, Dearborn/Hgts is very low crime rate

are you relying on your own anecdotal data, or simply trolling for flames?
I don't troll. I stay away from large cities. They make me un-comfortable. Where i live people leave thier vehicles un-locked all the time. Crime is very low. I attribute this to the fact that more than a few are packing.
Quote:
There is plenty of data on the elevated instances of crime at highway rest stops, however. Google it, you might learn something
I am aware of the crime at rest stops. I will not use Florida's rest stops. They have signs that say "Patrolled by State police" or seomthing like that. A hugh clue thier has been problems.
I will not stop when alone. If there is lees than half a douzen truckers I will not stop.
Quote:
Donít get me wrong, I like excitement- base jumping, trampolines, breathing fire, democrat presidents- but I don't put myself in 'victim' situations
No arguement from me on this one. Democractict presidents. I may leave for Canada!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #28
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
good advice.

the only drawback we considered before buying an a/s was the bling factor...

i know and u know where we fall in the pecking order compared to prevost, and the like.. but there's the whole 'millionaire airstreamer' misconception
That all depends on weather you act like a Millionaire or a regular "Joe". Which do you act like?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote