Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
54 Flying Cloud

1967 20' Globetrotter
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Minnesota
Boondocking prep with install of new AC/DC and tanks

I'm renovating a 67 globetrotter 20'. I plan on using AC in extreme cases but usually just run lights at night. I do want to boondock quite a bit on weekends and will occasionally travel to events like Burning Man.

I've read quite a bit and am needing some opinions from vets here.

I bought Progressive Dynamics PD 4045 for conversion. Plan on getting 1000 watt inverter along with 2 6 volt batteries and 2000 watt Honda generator. I would rather not lug 2 generators around...

My plan for plumbing is currently use my black tank that I think is 19 gallons along with adding 2 grey with 32 gallon total.

I read somewhere that if I run my 2000 watt generator with power boost from 1000 watt inverter/ 2 6 volt batteries, I can run a 15000 watt AC unit on the occasion I'm out in the desert and need AC, true? Do I need that 2nd 2000 watt generator for AC?

I read on this blog that these two are doing 60 gallons fresh, 120 gallons grey and black for a week without having to dump.. just add fresh a few times from jugs. Boondocking Tips and Tricks for Newbie RVers

So am I on the right track here? I might have to run lights, furnace fan at night and such but that should not be a problem with generator as backup. It's that I want to rarely use AC.

Do I have enough Grey at 32 gallons since it's just me? I have long hair, but I have read up on dry shampoo and also have camped a lot. I'm no sissy girl, can do a good army bath. I'll mostly camp up the north shore of Duluth MN on weekends but it's the rare weekly trips I want to prepare for. Burning Man here I come fall 16!

BTW, I am right on the cusp of doing all this. Have the space rented, tools bought, just need to get my tanks ordered once I take that back end off of her.. Tanks will go just behind the axle as so many have done.. I have a welder next door to my facility to spot weld and can re-enforce where needed. You are so helpful. There is no WAY I would have done this without all your help!
KrisE MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
I see you meant 15,000 BTUs. I did read somewhere about this working with the inverter, but I don't know if 15,000 is too large to make this work effectively. I am planning to carry one Honda 2000 as well, and have heard great things about the flexibility of using a second unit only when the season requires it and otherwise not needing to lug it along during the cold months. Perhaps someone will chime in to confirm if one unit with the inverter will be a reliable plan, but if not you can't go wrong with picking up the first Honda and trying it out.
54fuselage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
54 Flying Cloud

1967 20' Globetrotter
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Minnesota
I'm going with 2000 inverter and solar but you're right on ac size. The 1150 ac apparently will run w 2150? Yamaha as well. I'm going to try mostly no Gen and no ac but w humidity so high in MN could be a challenge. Are you looking for a converter? It's not needed now since I'm doing inverter and solar.
KrisE MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2800 watt Magnum converter/inverter can start and run the 13,500 BTU air conditioner from our 600 amp-hour battery in the Classic. A 2000 watt Honda will most likely not start the AC due to the current inrush associated with starting the compressor.

The Magnum MSH3012 inverter/converter can draw battery power from the 300 amp-hour battery in our 23D to augment the Honda (or similar) 2000 watt generator to start the air conditioner.

If one acquires the pair of 2000 watt Honda generators and the Honda jumper cable to connect the two units together, then they can completely power the air conditioner. Once the air conditioner is running, the two Hondas should also support some of the other equipment inside the trailer just like on 30 amp (or 3,600 watts) shore power.

Both batteries mentioned in our trailers above are lithium iron phosphate batteries from AM Solar.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:02 PM   #5

Scottsdale , Arizona
Honda RV Plug Adapter

I just purchased a 2014 23 foot International Serenity . I have one Honda 2000w generator and I am looking to buy the companion Honda 2000w generator with the 30 amp RV plug. My question is it takes a special plug adapter, and I am having a hard time figuring out which one I need; because, I am a rookie at this and need all the help I can get!
HJS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
The Honda Companion has the female 30 amp twist lock connector. Furious makes two 25' power cords (if ordered on their website, cords and parts are delivered with no tax or shipping via UPS) that will plug directly into the Honda. They will also plug into the standard power cord to create a 50' power cord to plug to shore power. I carry both cords.

To connect two Furrion 30 amp cords, a sealing collar is needed with two locking rings that create a water tight seal.

30 AMP SEAL COLLAR SYSTEM WITH THREADED RING - FURRION Sealing Collar $12.15

30 AMP REPLACEMENT RING - FURRION Two Locking Rings needed at $7.19 each

30 AMP 125v HEAVY DUTY MARINE CORDSET - 25FT TITANIUM - FURRION Standard Cord $70.99

30 AMP 125v HEAVY DUTY MARINE CORDSET W/POWERSMART LED - 25FT TITANIUM - FURRION Cord with Power LED indicator $74.99

Another useful adapter is the Furrion female 30 amp twist lock to 15 amp male 110Vac adapter so a standard household extension cord can be used to plug into a standard home type outlet for storage. It will fasten to the side of the trailer or the end of either cord mentioned above using the seal collar and locking rings.

30 AMP (F) TO 15 AMP (M) PIGTAIL ADAPTER W/POWERSMART LED - TITANIUM - FURRION Has power LED $48.85

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 08-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJS5 View Post
I just purchased a 2014 23 foot International Serenity . I have one Honda 2000w generator and I am looking to buy the companion Honda 2000w generator with the 30 amp RV plug. My question is it takes a special plug adapter, and I am having a hard time figuring out which one I need; because, I am a rookie at this and need all the help I can get!
This is the parallel kit you need to hook up the 2 generators together. When I bought the Honda 2000 and the 2000 companion generator, I asked the to throw in the parallel kit and they did. I bought local.

Murdoch's – Honda - EU2 (30A) Companion Parallel Cable/RV Adapter Kit
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #8

2019 25' International
Houston , Texas
Question Confusion over AC draw 13.5 vs 15.0

Another newbie here. I've read through hundreds of threads and innumerable posts trying to learn about what equipment I need in order to make the wife happy in the Texas summer heat if not on shore power. The confusion I have is that there doesn't seem to be a black and white calculation on what is needed for either or both of my AC units (13.5 btu / 15 btu). I see a great deal on Craig's list for a EU3000is Honda that is new in the box and I'm wondering if that is, without question, adequate to start/run either of my ACs? I think I will be running on gasoline to achieve the highest output. If for sure it will be enough at least for the 13.5, I may start with the single EU3000 to see if it will cool my 25' sufficiently for her to be happy, and then if unhappy, get another one to run in tandem. If I have 2, would that for sure be adequate to run both AC's?. I should say that we also need a bit of reserve power as well because we like our evening TV time together. I'll put it out there in advance in order to maybe head off some of the shaming (which might be inevitable, and I understand), but we're a bit spoiled when it comes to comfort (at least when sleeping at night). As someone else has said, happy wife / happy life. Thanks, Geo
RURisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My advice...don’t try to camp in the Texas summer heat.

It seems an exercise in frustration and futility, from all I have read.

Go north and/or seek higher elevation, if you can’t do that do your camping in Texas in the cooler months.

Maggie
Old 08-24-2018, 04:20 PM   #10

2019 25' International
Houston , Texas
Thanks Maggie. Can't argue with that as a goal.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RURisky View Post
Another newbie here. I've read through hundreds of threads and innumerable posts trying to learn about what equipment I need in order to make the wife happy in the Texas summer heat if not on shore power. The confusion I have is that there doesn't seem to be a black and white calculation on what is needed for either or both of my AC units (13.5 btu / 15 btu). I see a great deal on Craig's list for a EU3000is Honda that is new in the box and I'm wondering if that is, without question, adequate to start/run either of my ACs? I think I will be running on gasoline to achieve the highest output. If for sure it will be enough at least for the 13.5, I may start with the single EU3000 to see if it will cool my 25' sufficiently for her to be happy, and then if unhappy, get another one to run in tandem. If I have 2, would that for sure be adequate to run both AC's?. I should say that we also need a bit of reserve power as well because we like our evening TV time together. I'll put it out there in advance in order to maybe head off some of the shaming (which might be inevitable, and I understand), but we're a bit spoiled when it comes to comfort (at least when sleeping at night). As someone else has said, happy wife / happy life. Thanks, Geo
Have you looked at or installed the Micro Air Easy Start on your ACs? I’m guessing not, since your trailer is brand new. This unit will decrease the AMPs required to start and run either of your ACs. We’ve just had ours for a year and decided not to travel during the Texas heat this year, but we are talking about seeking higher elevation next summer. We are retired so that’s a little easier for us.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Another issue in generator selection is their weight. I can still handle either of the sub 50 pound Honda 2,000 watts generators we have (modified for propane only with the GenConnex conversion that fits entirely aside the OEM case). As the watt capacity increases so does the weight.

If one has a dual A/C system, that means they have 50 amp power cords and service. The Honda EU7000is would power both A/C units at the same time. But it weighs 261 pounds without 5.1 gallons of gasoline in it or any oil in the motor.

So the Honda 3000is has only a 30 amp 120Vac power socket. It weighs 131 pounds without gasoline or engine oil (much more than I can lift) Putting them in parallel does not provide the 240 Vac (dual 120Vac circuits as there are no 240Vac devices factory installed in Airstream trailers) power connection. The factory puts one A/C on each hot leg of the 125/240Vac power cord to help balance the electrical power load.

Folks have used the front A/C while sitting/sleeping in the back and the back A/C when in the front so they can converse more easily over the noise associated with the trailer A/C units.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:00 AM   #13
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Boondocking prep with install of new AC/DC and tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisE MN View Post
I read somewhere that if I run my 2000 watt generator with power boost from 1000 watt inverter/ 2 6 volt batteries, I can run a 15000 watt AC unit on the occasion I'm out in the desert and need AC, true?

Close. I do this. You need a victron multiplus 3000 hybrid inverter / charger to accomplish this. (Not just any old inverter will work)

The multiplus handles both inverter function and charger function. (So replaces the progressive dynamics converter you bought)

In hybrid assist mode when Aircon draw is too much for shore power (small genset) it will supplement by inverting 12v to make up the difference. This is a very unique feature to the victron multiplus.

This is a heavy draw application from the batteries even in assist mode and you’ll need a good sized lithium bank to make this work. I regularly see 50A+ continuous load on my batteries when assisting my little honda 2000i. If I run on batteries alone I see 150-180A continuous load on the batteries. Lead acid batteries do not respond well to continuous high draw applications, this is an application for lithium batteries.

Slippery slope cost wise. Your looking at over $10k in materials alone for a basic system (not including solar) with 300-400 ah to make this work if you did all the work yourself. Lithium’s are the most expensive component. I’ve got 600ah. Batts are $8k alone. Multiplus is $1500. But then you need a bunch of other materials that come along with managing a lithium power system (see three below for full details). You need a big battery bank for these types of continuous high draw applications. It’s not an application for lead acid energy storage.

Here is my install with pics

http://<br /> http://www.airforums.c...406.html<br />

And here is an example of the system in action... as you can see here honda 2000i input is delivering ~1300 Watts at 7,500’ elevation here in Rocky Mountain National Park. Aircon is drawing close to 1700 watts and it’s not hot out and a nothing else is on in the trailer (for demonstration purposes).

Lithium Batteries are supplementing the additional power via the multiplus at 33amps load.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0805.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	320773

In the end a single Aircon alone won’t cool a trailer in Texas heat unless it’s a Bambi 2 air cons are needed for 25’+ in Texas heat and for that you need to be plugged into 50A shore power anyways
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:20 AM   #14

2019 25' International
Houston , Texas
I haven't installed the easy start on the acs but have read about it. Right now, I was just considering whether it would be a wrong way to go to get the deal on the EU3000 Honda that I found. The deciding factor is whether it will "100% for sure" operate "at least" the smaller AC (13.5). Between myself and my spouse, we can handle the 150lbs it would weigh when full of gas. If it won't for sure handle at least the smaller AC, I'd be better off getting 2 of the smaller Hondas. The reason I'm considering the larger unit is to allow (possibly) for adding another EU3000 for those limited times when I might need to run both acs.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:23 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi

Black and white calculation:

The AC's pull 15A when running at max load. They pull a bit less (13 A or so) running under light loads. Startup is much higher than this (like > 40A). Yes, there are easy start kits to deal with the startup. They do not help the running current.

You will have more than just the AC turned on in the trailer when you are camping. The fridge and the charger / converter are both likely if you are running off generator. Figure another 5A at least, simply to keep them happy. Turn on the microwave and that adds 10A.

Two AC's is 30A, add 5A above and you are at 35A. 35A at 120V is 4200W running power. With the microwave and the other stuff, you are at 5,400W. That's not the label on the generator, that's what it will put out on a continuous basis. You have to very carefully look at the spec sheet for this number. It's *always* less than the magic number in big print.

The Honda EU7000i will put out 5,500 W continuous. It weighs 261 pounds (... uggghh ...). It's about the smallest *quiet* generator that can be counted on to run both AC's (and other junk) in the humid damp of summer.

Also consider that a big generator uses big fuel. At full load you will use just over a gallon an hour. You will use about 1/3 of that at light loads. Figure on needing about 10 gallons a day .....

A pair of EU3000 generators will *almost* get you to the same level as the EU7000. You will need to be a bit careful about what gets turned on when. The pair are just as heavy as the 7000, but you can lift their 130 pounds one at a time. Cost wise, neither option is exactly cheap ....

There are other people out there making generators. The bottom line is still the same. You need a darn big setup to fully power a trailer that comes with a 50A shore power cord. Do avoid going the "construction generator" route. Even if you never camp within 400 yards of anybody else, they will get to you after a few days / hours of run time ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #16

2019 25' International
Houston , Texas
Thanks Uncle Bob for dumbing this down for me and addressing my specific questions. I take it from your comments that the single EU 3000 will undoubtedly be adequate for at least 1 of the ACs (presumably the smaller of the 2). I guess that would be 15A X 120 = 2400 running watts which the EU3000 should handle and then I guess I would probably still need an easy start.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
If you convert a Honda to propane, you will lose a little performance capacity as well. A small, but worth it in my opinion, trade off to not have to mess with gasoline.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks Uncle Bob for dumbing this down for me and addressing my specific questions. I take it from your comments that the single EU 3000 will undoubtedly be adequate for at least 1 of the ACs (presumably the smaller of the 2). I guess that would be 15A X 120 = 2400 running watts which the EU3000 should handle and then I guess I would probably still need an easy start.
Hi

The AC (once it's going) is around 1800W. The charger / converter at 30A into the batteries is about 400W. The EU3000 is rated for 2,800W continuous. With one of the soft start kits it should run a single AC. Without the soft start ... who knows. Some have great luck, others seem to have issues.

With one AC on the trailer and 105 ( = high in Laredo today) degree temperatures out in the full sun you will be sweating in the trailer.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
atlanta , GA
I have a single Dometic unit on my 27fb and a single honda EU2000I. I installed the micro soft on the AC and run it no problems.
I also ordered a new fuel cap for the generator and a fuel line that I can put in a 5 gal. gas can. the honda generator has a built in fuel pump which will pull fuel from the external gas can. I can run the AC or furnace all night with the low hum of the generator if I'm out dry camping no problem.
kkdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote