Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Greenville , South Carolina
Boondocking Pikes Peak Region....

Found a very nice spot to boondock !
Hi all, husband of Duree updating you all. We just returned from a brief one nighter, boondocking about 44 miles West of Manitou Srings. This was our first true boondocking experience. For those of you who want to find a nice spot near the Colorado Springs area here's where to go: Take Highway 24 West. You will drive through Woodland Prk, Divide, Florrisant and to Lake George. Keep driving West and you will reach Eleven Mile State Park/Spinney Park. 7.1 miles further West past the Eleven Mile Park turnoff you will see a dirt road on the left hand side. (there is a stop sign on a yellow pole on the corner of the dirt road) Turn onto the dirt road, and about 20 feet or so you will turn left. Stay on this road for about 1500 feet and you will come to a fork, take the left turn at the fork. This stretch of road will take you into the forest. About 1/4 mile in you will see the road splits in several directions. Take the part that turns to the right. Drive a bit further and it will be obvious that you are now in an open free area where many have bondocked before. There is a small covered pavilion and lots of places under trees where you can set up camp. This site is part if the Pikes National Forest. It was beautiful there and very peaceful. We were the only folks there last night. Elevation is 9000 feet so our Honda generator had to work just a bit harder but our basic A/C needs were met just fine. I took a several pictures of the area with our camp set up. I uploaded one pic or you to see. Thanks again for your help with our boondocking questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA020019_2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	46519  
Dureedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Im glad you posted this where it can be found easily. More than once I have looked at your neighborhood on the map and thought it would be nice to have a spot or two around there for camping- now there is. Many thanks, if you find more, let us know. Oh, by the way, do you know about what the elevation is there?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Greenville , South Carolina
Hi, it's me Duree and as my hubby was taking digital photos w/ his handy dandy camera complete with altimeter, 9K! Was 71 degrees in early PM but a chilly 41 in th early am!
Dureedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Wow nice photo and great info, thanks for posting it! Glad your first trip boondocking was fun!