Old 03-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
A trick we learned with our boat trailer to wash it easily underneath is to stick a lawn sprinkler on a hose, put it under the trailer, and let it run full blast for about 30 minutes.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2013 27' FB International
San Luis Obispo , California
We just left Padre Island after 10 days there.

I wouldn't recommend pulling in your Airstream without 4 wheel drive. Depending on the wind, the sand by the road can get really deep and soft. If you do 2WD in, I'd at least carry some MAXTRAX with you.

We were told that the gulf isn't as affected by the moon as it is affected by wind & weather patterns. The day we arrived was a full moon and this theory appeared to be true because the high tide water level wasn't that much different 10 days later. I'm no meteorologist though

Be will be cleaning, greasing and removing rust from your Airstream & truck for days to come after leaving.

It's a very cool spot though! Enjoy!

Violet2060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Here is a brand new 30 footer after a week camping in an RV park next to the beach in S TX and windy conditions from the SE. This trailer was washed throughly after returning home also.
At least, before you go, read the thread on Corrosion problems with the newer Airstreams. You need the knowledge of preventative maintainance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	258203  
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Padre Island National Seashore

We've spent many nights parked on the beach along the Costal Bend region of Texas. Padre Island Nat'l Seashore is one of our favorite spots. We don't have 4-Wheel drive but do have 20" wheels and a lockout rear axel. I have gotten stuck, briefly, on one occasion and really like the recommendation for having some mats in the truck.

Yes... it's windy and salty. We always wash our TV and trailer as soon as we're ready to head home (Austin). So far I have not noticed any corrosion and frankly am super surprised that Howard L. has that problem.

We have the Honda 3000i we keep in the truck (hard locking Tonneau cover) and use a dump station when holding tanks are full.

It's a fantastic place to wake up in the morning!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_IMG_1509_1024.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	258206  
Don't look back, you're not headed there anyway
MarkFinATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Mark, I see you have a 2016 model. It's possible that you will be lucky, and that salt environment will do you no harm. My bet is that with beach camping, if you don't perform some aggressive preventative maintenance programs for filiform corrosion, you will learn about that corrosion in the very near future. (Galvanic corrosion is an issue in a salt environment also. AS uses dissimilar metals and in places not easily washed with fresh water--so depending on the amount of salt moistened air your trailer is exposed to--that's a future problem also)
We still camp near the beach once or twice a season, but only after I performed a number of preventative steps on the trailer. Again, many ideas are talked about in the thread "corrosion problems with new Airstreams".
However, the trailers were bought to use and enjoy. They will last a long time with or without corrosion.

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1457231887.716785.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  76.7 KB

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote