Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #41
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
There's nothin harder for me than travelin in a group. I can't do it. But I don't have a problem with those that can. I am essentially a travelin hermit. I enjoy a passing conversation here and there with friendly folks I meet but I will quickly be on my way to find solitude once again....

Course I've been travelin solo since I was a teen, so I've learnt a thing or two over the decades....
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Heart of Texas Camping Unit boondocks at least once a year in the LBJ National Grasslands north of DFW. Circle up the silver wagons!
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Reducing the image size by dropping the pixel density will allow images to post in the desired orientation. Also reducing physcial size to 4" x 6" often helps.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #44
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
This conversation had me rememberin an excellent blog article I had read so I am sharin it with y'all. Its 2 parts.

Havin spent so much time in the 'boonies', I think this man gives some very good advice. I believe in carryin a firearm and knowing how to use it but i also know better than to rely on it alone.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/adventu...t-recommended/

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/boondoc...dator-defense/
Old 07-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #45
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you eliminate stopping on public land (BLM, forest service ...) .... then what you have left is private land. Randomly stopping on private land is ...errr ... a good way to get ~ 1/4" holes punched in your vehicle in many parts of the country ...

I'd suggest being a bit careful about randomly pulling over. I do have empirical evidence ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #46
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I find maps to be very useful in makin those determinations.

Most folks that'll shoot ya for tresspassin are also good about postin their private property. Not all of em. But most. My pop loved to shoot at tresspassers but he never really aimed right at em, just close enough to scare em.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I look at boondocking in much the same way Ray does, although we disagree on what makes the ideal campsite; I like trees, Ray likes rocks. Sadly, he has converted my wife into a rock hoarder. She has become convinced that the Bighorn Mountains were mistakenly placed one mile too far to the west, and she has taken it upon herself to relocate the Bighorns to my yard. Thanks Ray!

We are fortunate enough to have great boondocking opportunities practically in our backyard, Forest Service land to the west, BLM to the East. To me, boondocking is a matter of degrees. The best boondocking is where I can't see any other people, campers, vehicles, or buildings. These sites are rare and hard to find, but occasionally we achieve that. Usually, the sites we use have a few other campers within our view, and oftentimes have ATV's driving by once in a while. There are areas in the Bighorns that at times, there are literally hundreds of campers in a relatively small area. This current 4th of July weekend is one of these times. The area will have so much dust in the air from all of the ATV running around. It'll look like the smog around downtown Denver. Many of the other "boondockers" will be kind enough to share their loud music with everyone in the area. Rarely do our musical tastes match their musical tastes. We avoid holiday weekends.

The biggest problem I have with boondocking is the uncertainty. I hate going somewhere, not knowing that I'll have a suitable site. Therefore, I tend to over plan. I spend many hours searching maps and aerial photography for good spots and good access. I've actually spent the last two weekends scouting boondocking sites for the eclipse in August. If I'm going to an area that I'm unsure of, I've always got a "Plan B", like a Forest Service campground, or ,Heaven forbid, a commercial campground. I've spent a total of two nights in commercial campgrounds in my life.

Boondocking is, for us, our primary modus operandi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-18-15 Fuji Download 067.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	288608  
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Thalweg and Connie are taking the Big out of the Horns, making it the Buck Horns a piece at a time. If you cannot own your own mountain... build it, I say. Great job Connie! Ignore that husband behind the shower curtain. He still thinks you are Dorthy and Toto needing directions.

Brent brings up the Number One, or possibly Number Thirtysix reason why many trailer owners do not Boondock. Uncertainty. When you are in your teens and twenties... if you lost everything in the wilderness, you could go back to Goodwill and spend $14 to get better and more of what you had.

When pulling an Airstream of any vintage off the marked highways onto roads with Local, County, State, Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management or NO MARKING... you know you are in Boondock...town.

Boondock...town has no town or city limits. No 911 to respond to your being lost. You are on your own... maybe for the first time in a long, long time.

Enjoy this new experience of being... confused, lost and on your own. It will happen to you in the local parking lot soon enough. Time is your enemy. Not distance from civilization.

Purchase a State Atlas and sit down, look at where you would like to go. Then do it. Do not be surprised that before or after you get to this ink spot on your map... another nicer camping spot was found. Take down the GPS location, write it on the border of that page and make a X at or near where you discovered your first Boondocking campsite.

Western States are best, as much of the West is 'public land'. Utah and Nevada... are mostly US Land... and very little of Utah or Nevada to talk about. Deeded land is usually found near water. If you see a spring. A creek. A river. A pond. A lake...well you get the idea. It is most likely private property at, on, near or all of it on both sides. Just look at your Atlas and it will indicate, fairly accurately, if this spot you like is 'public'.

The BLM have barbed wire fence for Cattle Grazing. There could be cattle, but it is leased for grazing. Just do not bother the cattle and you will be fine. Although, cattle are attracted to shiny objects and want to lick it, like it is a block of mineral or salt on 'their menu'. A good Cattle Dog will chase them off, if needed. A bull might see his reflection and want to challenge the new stud in town, your Airstream... but just take a red towel and chase him off.

After several days all by yourself.. the anxious feeling of trespass will go away. You will not get in any trouble camped where others have camped for the last 175 years. Maybe thousands of years ago, as Native Americans have beaten everyone to the good spots, a long time ago. Just relax. If you are on private property... you will hear about it soon enough and I have never heard anyone being told to Get Out or the Posse is coming to get all of you and your dog... Toto too.

Ranchers in these remote areas are actually interested in what you are doing so far into the Boondocks. They will make up crimes that occurred exactly at the spot you are camped, just to see if you will blink... and you move on, after you have been invited to stay a day or two. Of course, you do not know if this is a real Rancher, or someone who just showed up...

Brent loves to over plan. At least he does plan ahead. Nancy and I... well, you would not be a happy camper following us for the first time. Impulse campsite hunting is best. Plan ahead, but ignore those plans if something better shows up on the road ahead.

This Thread is to make you relax and understand that everyone on this thread and other threads under Boondocking, want your questions answered and get you on track.

Do not worry about being Snake bitten by a venomous viper six feet long. Ignore the signs about Black Bear in your campground recently. Fleas, ticks, rabid skunks and raccoons... It is the experience that counts. It helps if you do not have children who can read the posters, as well.

Good luck and enjoy your FIRST time out Boondocking. As I said... We are all out there to help... you.....
Old 07-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Some minor additions to Ray's advice; I'd encourage you to visit the website of the local Field Office for the land management agency you intend to camp on, be it BLM or Forest Service. Once there, search for "Dispersed Camping" regulations. As a rule of thumb, at least in northern Wyoming, you're allowed to camp on public land (Federal) within 300 feet of an established road, unless it is otherwise posted, as long as you're not causing resource damage. Resource damage would be things like driving in muddy conditions or causing erosion. Each Field Office has areas that may be restricted. Most Wyoming BLM Field Offices are working on new "Travel Management Plans" that will designate roads for public access, closure, or administrative uses. Once these plans are finished, some areas may not be open to boondocking. These plans will have to go through public notice and comment periods and will take years to complete. Also, I wouldn't trust any information that doesn't come directly from the Field Office. There is a lot of bad info out there.

With modern mapping and GPS technology, it's very easy to know whose land you're on whether BLM, Forest Service, State, or Private. Camping is typically not allowed on State land in Wyoming. There are ranchers, hunting outfitters, and others who don't want you out there, and will try to convince you that it's their land or that there are restrictions that don't really exist. I am always armed with better information than anyone else. I always know the regulations and who's land I'm on within a couple of feet.

The most important thing to know about getting along with ranchers is to leave gates the same way you found it. If it was open when you got there, leave it open. Closed, leave it closed. That will avoid most conflicts.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #50
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Did y'all know more folks are killed by cows every year than by sharks?

I carry bear spray on my hip when cattle is around just in case one of em gets a little too 'bullish'. [emoji202]
Old 07-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here's my motto on planning my vacations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	joe's door.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	288638  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #52
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Here's my motto on planning my vacations.
I firmly agree with this philosophy!
Old 07-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Post #51... I am with you on that!

If you are a bit new at RBC... Random Boondock Camping, find the local Forest Service Office... stop in. They have National Forest Service maps and give you current, valuable information as to where some great camping sites may be found. I found this very helpful in New Mexico when we began exploring with our original 2006 Safari.

I am not sure if BLM, Bureau of Land Management have similar access to maps, but they seem to be harder to find. Thalweg would have a better idea than I.

I encounter Forest Service vehicles more frequently, as we spend more camping in National Forests. The open prairie I find BLM vehicles and some Forest Service.

Game and Fish can show up where there is the possibility of fishing and especially during hunting season... they are sure to be out during those seasons that each area have for Hunting Season. These guys are also very helpful with information. They know every road and access to water.

Often citizens resent being questioned by any of these Federal or State officials. It is their job. It is not you that is the problem, but they need to check what your purpose might be. A rifle leaning against your trailer would indicate you are not fishing or bicycling... and then additional questions will be following...
Old 07-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #54
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
https://www.blm.gov/maps/georeferenced-PDFs
Old 07-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
That is a great link that TravlinMan posted for BLM maps. However, the maps there are primarily "special use" maps for recreation areas or for specific uses. The BLM has made a decision to not publicly release electronic versions of the standard BLM maps that are available for purchase at BLM offices (the ones with the yellow fronts). When we asked about this, we were told that they wanted control over map versions that were on the street (I'm paraphrasing). They didn't want old versions floating around. There are ways around this, but I've probably said too much already. If you're map savvy, you'll figure it out.

TravlinMan's link references Avenza Maps. BLM is using Avenza a lot. It is an awesome App for use on a smart phone or tablet. It works great, and has a map store with access to thousands of maps. There is a filter in the map store that allows you to access only free maps if you'd like. Most, if not all of the 1:24,000 USGS topo maps are available for free. Check it out.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #56
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Thank you, Thalweg, it's great to share information on this forum it has been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Another very good map is this one but it is 'im at your own risk' so you would need to call the nearest office and check before ya camp.

https://blm-egis.maps.arcgis.com/app...8302003a953582

Thank you.

I am editing this to say I don't know how to make the link not start in Grand junction, which was the place I was lookin at lately. But ya can scroll and zoom around. Also there are other layers ya can turn on and off.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
We now live at 2400 feet elevation. Finding a Boondocker in southern Nevada in the Mohave Desert is like finding a Jackalope in Wyoming. Few this time of year.

If you have time to visit the High Country of the Rockies... get above 6,000 feet and make sure you bring Summer and Winter clothing. Maybe a snow shovel above 8,000 feet... the climate does change there by the week.

We enjoy going to Tucson in February for the Gem and Mineral Show. The weather is absolutely wonderful. This weekend... you have to be kidding. They have their own mountain for relief and we have one just west of Las Vegas where in an hour you need a light jacket.

Play the Elevation by the Numbers if you come out west. Warm to Hot days, low humidity and cool to cold evenings. A 40 degree F drop is not unusual from the High to the Low. Just be prepared for mini climates where it is raining up high, and wonderful down in the valley.

We have camped Western Wyoming in the Summer and the Heelers can roll in the snow drifts on the 'drift side of the mountain'. Much like Glacier Park in NW Montana. Fill your cooler with snowpack alongside the road. We stood in snowdrifts just east of Taylor Reservoir on the Greenhorn Adventure... thank you Colorado.

Any major town in the Rockies is in the valley, usually near a river. If it gets too crowded or warm for you... twenty miles you are wearing a long sleeved shirt.

The Ozarks provide heat and humidity, but the campgrounds along the Arkansas / Missouri border provide cool creeks and streams to float your inner tubes.

You do not always have to have a definite plan... sometimes 'Just make it up as you Go'. It does not get any better than... not knowing where you are going, where you will end up and imagine... you are not lost, yet.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Another very good map is this one but it is 'im at your own risk' so you would need to call the nearest office and check before ya camp.
Just for fun I've been comparing your location on Google Earth, The Delorme Gazetteer, your map suggestion, and normal maps.

So far, it seems Google Earth has more information.
If you use the Gazetteer, bring your reading glasses, it has detail but I'm spoiled zooming in online.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:54 PM   #59
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Just for fun I've been comparing your location on Google Earth, The Delorme Gazetteer, your map suggestion, and normal maps.

So far, it seems Google Earth has more information.
If you use the Gazetteer, bring your reading glasses, it has detail but I'm spoiled zooming in online.
I think you're right. It's also the easiest to use but sometimes it is hard to tell if you're on public land so I like to check the other maps. I also gotta Garmin gps that has 24k topo maps which are helpful but it ain't great for roads. More for hiking and 4x4 trails.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:56 PM   #60
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
We now live at 2400 feet elevation. Finding a Boondocker in southern Nevada in the Mohave Desert is like finding a Jackalope in Wyoming. Few this time of year.

If you have time to visit the High Country of the Rockies... get above 6,000 feet and make sure you bring Summer and Winter clothing. Maybe a snow shovel above 8,000 feet... the climate does change there by the week.

We enjoy going to Tucson in February for the Gem and Mineral Show. The weather is absolutely wonderful. This weekend... you have to be kidding. They have their own mountain for relief and we have one just west of Las Vegas where in an hour you need a light jacket.

Play the Elevation by the Numbers if you come out west. Warm to Hot days, low humidity and cool to cold evenings. A 40 degree F drop is not unusual from the High to the Low. Just be prepared for mini climates where it is raining up high, and wonderful down in the valley.

We have camped Western Wyoming in the Summer and the Heelers can roll in the snow drifts on the 'drift side of the mountain'. Much like Glacier Park in NW Montana. Fill your cooler with snowpack alongside the road. We stood in snowdrifts just east of Taylor Reservoir on the Greenhorn Adventure... thank you Colorado.

Any major town in the Rockies is in the valley, usually near a river. If it gets too crowded or warm for you... twenty miles you are wearing a long sleeved shirt.

The Ozarks provide heat and humidity, but the campgrounds along the Arkansas / Missouri border provide cool creeks and streams to float your inner tubes.

You do not always have to have a definite plan... sometimes 'Just make it up as you Go'. It does not get any better than... not knowing where you are going, where you will end up and imagine... you are not lost, yet.
Thank you, Ray, this is helpful information as I am always thinkin about where to go next. I have got a lot of family in Tucson Arizona and I now have family ties in California, aside from my home in Virginia so I just bounce back n forth across the nation.

Thank you.