Old 05-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Boondocking Coffee Recipe(s)

At first we used a coffee pot, heated it upon the stove, let it percolate. I am a tight spender, so this was our tent camping/tailgate pot. When it was boiling, you watched the top glass (whatever you would call it) after awhile the color darkened and the coffee was ready. Six scoops of coffee for Eight cups. I would say these are medium cups, as some coffee drinkers need to be in great shape just to carry some of their mugs/kegs around. And scoops... whatever came with some coffee years ago is what I use, and it has nothing indicating volume. But, you know your scoop, water and coffee best.

It was just a bit clunky to use and to store in the overhead cabinet, so my wife found a much simpler way to brew... a French Press. It looks American but the French must have some influence over what to call it. In Australia and New Zealand it is called a Coffee Plunger and the coffee brewed was Plunger Coffee. The USA... Coffee Press, French Press or those of you who are very particular about their coffee... a "cafetiere a piston". (Wikipedia)

It can also brew... tea... a Tea Infuser.

French Press in Wikipedia does a wonderful job explaining this to those wanting to improve on their Off the Grid Boondocking Coffee. It tastes no better or worse than Full Hookup Coffee, unless your brand of coffee just... sucks, there is not much anyone can do for you. Just use it up and then try something else.

We buy the beans and have them ground at the Costco Coffee Grinder for no additional charge. A coarser grind, as if it is too fine, you will be filtering the coffee through your teeth. Much like "Rancher's Coffee Teeth Press" where you bring the water to a boil over a fire and dump anything that might taste like coffee into the boiling mass, and wait. You skim the floating debris the best you can and if you are an amateur... your teeth, if any, filter the remaining coffee grounds if necessary.

I actually make the coffee in the morning. So have a lot of experience with this contraption, that is relatively simple. Much simpler than batteries and solar panel discussions.

-I have an insulated craft, stainless steel with a black plastic screw on top with a thumb activated pour spout. Keeps the coffee HOT, trust me. The coffee is brewed to fill this pot. (Everyone will have to modify their Coffee Brew according to the volume of your craft.)

-Water from the Insulated Craft is poured into the whatever you will have on your gas top. This way you do not prepare more water than the craft can hold.

-I measure six scoops of coarse ground coffee and dump it into the "Off the Grid Boondocking Coffee Press". We increase the scoops when the coffee is weak and even add a scoop or so just to give the coffee a... bite.

-Next...After the water is boiling in our "old brewing percolator" without the percolating insert, the water is poured into the OTGBCP, stirred a bit and let it sit five to seven minutes. The rest of the water is poured into the stainless insulated craft. A high priced thermos... but shiny.

-After the coffee and hot water have been mixed... "let it bloom" as it says in Wikipedia. Or sit five to seven minutes is a less professional expression.

-Push the "press" down on your French or Whatever Press to separate the coffee grounds from the concentrated coffee, unless you really like strong coffee, skip the rest of this sermon and drink the concentrated coffee.

-The concentrate can be poured directly into the "craft" and ready to pour into your favorite cup. Mine is my authentic 1969 Military bivouac brown cup that I used for two years as my one and only personal military treasure and still use this cup every day to celebrate how wonderful life is today! Not that the military did not have some perks, most I cannot recall, but give me time.

I thought I could do this in a few sentences, but there is more to brewing coffee by explaining than actually doing it. So if it took you ten minutes to follow these instructions... you would actually be drinking your "Bivouac Brew" right now.

To add to the pleasure of a hot cup of coffee. I have a selection of dark chocolate covered Raisin, Almonds, Pomegranates or Acai/Blueberry, etc. offered by the bag at Costco or numerous serve yourself "health food stores" and fill the bag or bags to your heart's content.

This is a Win/Win for all of us Coffee drinkers. This is one option, what is your killer recipe for Brewing a great cup of Joe?

Old 05-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We use a stainless steel percolator but once the coffee starts perking, I turn the heat down to a bare minimum so the water doesn't boil the coffee. Keep the flame high enough so it perks but not boiling. Perfect coffee.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Clarita , California
Ray, I follow your recipe (or something very similar to it), with one exception that I suggest you try: after boiling the water, let it sit for 3 to 5 minutes (I do 5) before adding it to the coffee. You will still get hot coffee, but you can make it as strong as you want without it becoming bitter. That, together with the "blooming" time", means you don't exactly have instant coffee, but I find the end result to be worth the wait.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
We use Community dark roast form New Orleans in a percolator. With shore power, electric perk, when boondocking, perk on the stove. Love that tad of chicory ! Oh yeah, a little brown sugar and a dollop of whipped cream finishes it out. Much better than a latte,i.m.o.

Danny
Old 05-06-2015, 12:23 AM   #5
Riveting Travels

2013 30' International
Portland , Oregon
Fascinating read: Five Best Coffee Makers
The bare necessities of life will come to you!"
MichelleNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bell View Post
We use Community dark roast form New Orleans in a percolator. With shore power, electric perk, when boondocking, perk on the stove. Love that tad of chicory ! Oh yeah, a little brown sugar and a dollop of whipped cream finishes it out. Much better than a latte,i.m.o.

Danny
You are a man of fine taste Danny Bell! My parents would buy Community Coffee and have it shipped to them in Seattle. This was in the 60s!!! My Mom lives in NO now and has easier access. She drinks the dark roast, but not the chicory. It is good stuff and available from Amazon.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleNC View Post
Fascinating read: Five Best Coffee Makers
I have an AeroPress and it is out in the trailer. Great for a single cup, I am still using it occasionally. When we are out and plugged in, we will use our Black & Decker Brew & Go. It makes a decent single cup of coffee with minimal fuss and muss. I like a 12 oz cup of coffee and this will make one easily.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I've got an Aeropress, but 90% of the time we make pour-over coffee. At home, I use a Chemex, but that would be too breakable for the trailer, so a Melitta cone filter it is.

We grind our beans fresh, using a hand grinder.

I can't stand the coffee pods. Horribly bad for the environment, so much so that the inventor recently publicly stated he wished never to have come up with the idea, dry and old stale coffee, no thanks.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
We use a Thermos Evacuated Push Pot:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Insula...issan+push+pot

And a hand grinder:

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Ceramic-...e+grinder+burr

Yes, it takes time. But I'm on vacation!
Old 05-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I am not roughing it in my Airstream. I use the same coffee preparation methods that I use at home. Those include Keurig, Nespreso, French Press and a 60 year old Italian stove top expresso maker. Use depends on available heat/power source and what I feel like having. Fresh ground beans using a hand grinder for all except the Nespresso.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Michael do you have a picture of your 60 year old italian expresso maker?

thanks
John
Old 05-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
You are a man of fine taste Danny Bell! My parents would buy Community Coffee and have it shipped to them in Seattle. This was in the 60s!!! My Mom lives in NO now and has easier access. She drinks the dark roast, but not the chicory. It is good stuff and available from Amazon.
I grew up in Louisiana. I started enjoying Community coffee back in the mid-70's. My parents and just about everyone in the woods and swamps drank Community Dark !

We've lived in WA state for 28 yrs. and still have it shipped up.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Michael do you have a picture of your 60 year old italian expresso maker?

thanks
John
On the right, bought in Germany in the mid 50's by my parents, in the center is the larger capacity and newest addition to the collection and far left unbreakable(?) French Press.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	237894  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Danny... We are from Louisiana, too. Community dark roast ir restaurant blend.. Mmmmm gud!

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote