Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Boondocking at a Ski Resort in WA State

I just had to share how proud I am of our Airstream. We took her up for a few days of skiing during which time the temps in the evening dipped down to 2 degrees. Our Airstream has a feature that when the furnace is blowing air into the cabin, it also diverts some of that air onto our pipes so they do not freeze. We also had our hot water tank on for extra precaution against freezing.

There were a number of Arctic Fox RV's who experienced some major problems with freezing and they are built for this type of weather. We loaned our generator to a few neighbors so they could get their RV's fixed.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share how happy we are to be Airstream owners. Our experience as Airstream owners has been nothing but positive so far (given a few leaks here and there which have now been fixed, thanks to help from fellow streamers on this great forum).

Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Good deal...with proper preperation,an AS makes a great escape pod for winter camping...and one helluva ski lodge!

Well done...pics?

Bill
Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Did you have any problems with the drain plumbing and dump valves which hang under the trailer (if they do on yours)?
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Good deal...with proper preperation,an AS makes a great escape pod for winter camping...and one helluva ski lodge!

Well done...pics?

Bill
You are right! It makes for one helluva ski lodge -- our clothes also dry very fast in there (we hang them up in the shower on suction cup hooks) and we keep our boots right under one of the heating vents and when we put them on the next morning, they are toasty warm. Here are pictures from our last trip (prior to this one). Imagine this picture with a ton more snow, lol

If you are bored, there are more pics on my blog (link in signature below). We are going up again next weekend, very much looking forward to it. Hubby is happy now that I convinced him to not winterize her.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
Did you have any problems with the drain plumbing and dump valves which hang under the trailer (if they do on yours)?
No problem whatsoever. She pumped out no problem (is that what you call it when you empty the holding tanks? Sorry -- I am a former boater so I am so used to that term, lol!)
Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
On boats you pump, on trailers you dump

Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend! I love to see folks who aren't afraid to get out and really USE their trailers!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote