Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Boondocking and waste

While staying on a cabin at a remote lake 30 west of Yellowstone I noticed a state campground just down the road. That got me thinking about my own camper. The bucks are starting to flow out the door towards that end (starting with the 05 Excursion PS ... the 28 safari will come next). Have lots of questions and this site has helped a bunch. That camp site was about 3 miles of very bumpy road from a paved road. In that situation I cannot see breaking camp to tow to a dump site every few days. What is your best advise? I have been through reinventing the wheel several hundred times in my life and I do not want to do it again. Please give product / size / manufacturer suggestions to deal with this. Perhaps direction to the proper thread is in order.

Thanks
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
10 Gallon Tote-Along Tanks

Get one or two 10 gallon blue Tote-Along Tanks (Item# 4498) from Camping World (see link). Don't get any larger than 10 gal, so you can lift it.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...=4498&src=SRQB

Dump waste into the Tote-Alongs as needed, lift into Tow vehicle and haul to dump station. Trailer can stay parked.

This is what we do when Boondocking.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:47 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If your filling a 35 or 39 gallon black tank as found in the 28' Safari line (depending on slide out or not) in a few days, there are issues.

The 28' Safari non slide has 33 gallons of fresh water on board, so you could fill the black tank, but if yer using your freshwater for the head, you'll also be out of fresh water too in most cases. It would be difficult at best to be able to fill both the grey water tank and the black water tank with the on board--33 gallons (let alone every couple of days), unless you add water from a well or some other source. The key is to remember that when your out boondocking, particularly for extended periods, conservation is the key word. Use outhouses (and the woods) where appropriate (for the basic of needs), and you should be just fine for at least a week.

Although I could see an eventual issue depending on how long you stayed, our Safari 25' has an 18 gal black and 39 gal grey. Neither have ever filled yet in over a 9 days worth of boondocking (three adults with plenty of adult beverages consumed). Of course you mileage may vary depending on habbits, etc.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:53 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Fresh water

What do y'll recommend for extra fresh water? Are the plastic / expandable bladders good?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:01 PM   #5
JLester

1962 19' Globetrotter
Canyon Creek , Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to jlester
I have just purchased my 10 gal tote toady for grey water so I think I am all set for grey water disposal. I am now wondering how to refill the fresh water when needed. I was thinking of buying two of the 5 gallon water canisters from walmart and using them to fill the tank on the as. Is this a common mechanism for filling the freshwater tank?
jlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlester
I have just purchased my 10 gal tote toady for grey water so I think I am all set for grey water disposal. I am now wondering how to refill the fresh water when needed. I was thinking of buying two of the 5 gallon water canisters from walmart and using them to fill the tank on the as. Is this a common mechanism for filling the freshwater tank?
If you don't have access to a potable water source with a hose, water canisters can fill the bill or the tank as the case may be. Just a note, make sure they are rated for potable water storage.
Usually I will fill the black water or grey water tanks before the fresh water is exhausted.
We practice water conservation and can get by for over a week with 35 gallons for two people.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
IV for RV

The 6 Gallon Jerry can is from Walmart, the stand is from Home Depot and the Super Siphon is off the web.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Fill_small.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	14091  
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 08-24-2005, 01:26 PM   #8
JLester

1962 19' Globetrotter
Canyon Creek , Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to jlester
Thanks for the suggestion. I bought my two green water cans today at walmart. Off for the siphon after work. I have a small AL table that I will try using instead of the rack. Does the water can need to be a lot higher than the water fill?

Again thanks very much.
jlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
water

Last week I was boondocking in Lincoln Natl forest in N.M. I ordered a 40 gal water bladder from Camping World and was very pleased with it. It held more than my fresh tank, we laid it on the back of a pick up cover (could've put it on the roof as well) and it reduced the number of trips needed during the week. It folded up very small afterward. Someone posted on the CW site that they didn't like it but we sure did. I sanitized it with Purogene before use and there was no flavor to the water. I've also seen some take a large plastic bin that they use to store or carry supplies in and simply drill a hole and add a spigot on the bottom. Clear out the stuff, clean it and then use it as well. You'd want a tight lid to prevent sloshing though.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...13&skunum=1605

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:44 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
The 6 Gallon Jerry can is from Walmart, the stand is from Home Depot and the Super Siphon is off the web.
I bought 3 of those from WalMart a couple of months back. Unless I'm wrong mine say 7 gallons on them. I carry them with me empty and only fill them if we exhaust the existing supply in the holding tank. Cost was about $5 each.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Just make sure that thew bottom of the can is slightly higher than the fill point. A couple of inches. I usually tip the can to a corner when it's almost finished, to allow the siphon to get all the water, but not necessary.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 08-24-2005, 02:32 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Nother Boondocking question

I can see that I am going to want a generator. Have read all the information about the choices here. The discussions have been great and I will make my choice based upon this great advice.
I like the Yamaha because a factory authorized conversion to propane is available and I am told it is incredibly quiet. I would like the 150+lb one which means that there is a transport problem (a weak back problem, also). It could be kept in the back of the TV but I hope there is a better way. Has anyone, for example, set up a way to put it on the front of an Excursion and operate it from there? I understand that this is a high theft item so security would be an issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Iver "the newbee"
Old 08-24-2005, 02:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iver
I can see that I am going to want a generator. Have read all the information about the choices here. The discussions have been great and I will make my choice based upon this great advice.
I like the Yamaha because a factory authorized conversion to propane is available and I am told it is incredibly quiet. I would like the 150+lb one which means that there is a transport problem (a weak back problem, also). It could be kept in the back of the TV but I hope there is a better way. Has anyone, for example, set up a way to put it on the front of an Excursion and operate it from there? I understand that this is a high theft item so security would be an issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Iver "the newbee"
I have the Yamaha that runs on propane, LP, and gas. Although I wanted two smaller Hondas for ease of lifting, being able to run off of propane and not needing to carry gas cans tipped the scales. I installed a front receiver and have a front carrier (etrailer.com). I either carry the generator up there and like you mentioned, just run it from there or carry it in the burb an pull it out. Since I don't use gas there's no fumes when I carry it in the burb. It is very, very quiet. I ordered it from http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-ga...m/ef30iseb.htm I've attached pics of the unit with the propane conversion, one is painted with the Airstream underbelly paint and the other is still the original blue. I'm rigging up a locking method for it as well and will let you know what I come up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0947 (Small).JPG
Views:	324
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	14182  

Old 08-24-2005, 02:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

One more thing on the generator. David Tidmore at Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford Texas is installing a circuit board & connector so that when the thermostat on the Air Conditioner signals the AC, it will fire up the generator first, and then the AC will come on. I'd highly recommend them for any kind of work. If you have a cool idea, they have the expertise to do it right. http://rogerwilliams.airstream.com/

Old 08-24-2005, 03:00 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Thanks, Tin Hut. I am (based almost exclusively upon your raves about David and Roger Williams) in the process of buying an 06, 28' Safari SE thru him. I have asked for the Tin Hut special (your "Exceeded Expectations" post ... minus the belly mood lighting thank you) and he is working prices now. I may need the generator to recharge my pace maker batteries when I see the $$ involved.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

The 6 gallon jerry cans work well for me...

But, I suggest getting the cans with handles on the side as well
as the top. It makes it much easier to pour. Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:20 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
All the ideas of water carriers are great. One thing to consider is when boondocking some well water can have higher amounts of metals and such.

For example, in the U.P. of MI., there is a high iron content in the water. It tends to turn any tank or contaner light brown.

Be careful what you put into your water system. We fill our fresh tank and filter it as it goes in. Add a touch of bleach to it to kill off any nastys and then filter it again from the inside tap filter. What I then do is use the fresh tank for just drinking, cooking and basic things.

I bought a 5 gallon jug that I fill for washing hands, etc that I fill up from wells, pumps or other supplied fresh water sources at the campground we boondock in. The 5 gallon jug cost me about $8 and from 2 trips to the U.P., it's brown, but the Safari tank is clean as it was the day we bought it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
All the ideas of water carriers are great. One thing to consider is when boondocking some well water can have higher amounts of metals and such.

For example, in the U.P. of MI., there is a high iron content in the water. It tends to turn any tank or contaner light brown.

Be careful what you put into your water system. We fill our fresh tank and filter it as it goes in. Add a touch of bleach to it to kill off any nastys and then filter it again from the inside tap filter. What I then do is use the fresh tank for just drinking, cooking and basic things.

I bought a 5 gallon jug that I fill for washing hands, etc that I fill up from wells, pumps or other supplied fresh water sources at the campground we boondock in. The 5 gallon jug cost me about $8 and from 2 trips to the U.P., it's brown, but the Safari tank is clean as it was the day we bought it.
Good point. When I fill the fresh tank I run it through two filters. My fist is a particulate & the second is a carbon. When on city water I also have it flow thru these two as well. I have them connected in tandem & in a container where I keep my hoses & just set the whole thing next to the trailer and hook up. I also use Purogene in the fresh tank occasionally as well for disinfecting. Lastly, I keep a certain amount of Guinness in my belly at all times as a final germ killing measure

Old 09-24-2005, 09:35 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Great Advice

After reading this thread, I ordered the 32 gallon waste tank that comes with the large 10" wheels. This can be filled and than towed behind you TV to the dump station. I purchased it from Camping World and as always the price was just right. Thanks for the advice, since my wife likes long showers even when we're boondocking and it's no fun having to tow the AS to the dump station every 1-2 days (yep, it's a reallllllly long shower) .

Take care---Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 04:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny
After reading this thread, I ordered the 32 gallon waste tank that comes with the large 10" wheels. This can be filled and than towed behind you TV to the dump station. I purchased it from Camping World and as always the price was just right. Thanks for the advice, since my wife likes long showers even when we're boondocking and it's no fun having to tow the AS to the dump station every 1-2 days (yep, it's a reallllllly long shower) .
I hope that those 10" plastic wheels on your 32 gal. tote cart will stand up to your trips to the dump station. Let us know how it works out.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430