Old 06-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I don't mind the kitty litter idea, but I'm gonna balk at the scratch-over that follows...a good field shower can be had with a gallon jug of H2O warmed in the sun...

We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Vero Beach , Florida
Cat Box????? I will walk into the woods and go behind a tree before I use a cat box, besides what would my cat say?

Old 06-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #59
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie rich View Post
I personally have not tried this method of conservation ,but here goes.Kitty litter! It works for cats indoors and solves the odor problem.I can think of a thousand jokes to fill this post but all joking aside isn't it feasible for humans? Rap it up in a plastic bag and throw it away.Absolutely no black water is used.There is none to cart to the dump.Call me a pig but after being outdoors for a few days I become acclimated to the weather and just don't have the need to wash much.Of course my wife is not there to tell me otherwise,so I'm good.However,a hot shower in the woods is a pure luxury when I use it.Handy wipes,I like them.Use them and into the plastic bag as well.If all that paper and waste is an odor problem,seal it in an air tight container until its time to go.Meow.
Hi Richie rich,

Let me get this straight. You line the crapper with a plastic bag and back fill the toilet with Kitty Litter. Is that how it works?

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:34 AM   #60
1 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
What I then do is use the fresh tank for just drinking, cooking and basic things.

I
I never knew you could drink water all by itself until I joined this forum. We only use fresh water for bathing, cleaning, and to put in our Britta filter pitcher. When we need to drink water, even from the Britta, I find it safer to put antiseptic in the water before drinking. After trying several, I find that Bourbon and Scotch work best. Do anything less, and you are taking a big chance. Remember W.C. Field's quote on drinking water: " I never touch the stuff. Fish !#%* in it."
Old 06-05-2009, 05:19 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
I do remember a deranged astronaut in the news who drove cross country wearing a diaper.If an astronaut does it ,it must be high tech.Incorporate the usage of a handy wipe and baggy.Don't drink the water as Mr. jmallgood suggests and problem solved.No need to go to the dump station at all.Jim Beam me up Scotty!
Old 06-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
water you trying to say?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallgood View Post
I never knew you could drink water all by itself until I joined this forum. We only use fresh water for bathing, cleaning, and to put in our Britta filter pitcher. When we need to drink water, even from the Britta, I find it safer to put antiseptic in the water before drinking. After trying several, I find that Bourbon and Scotch work best. Do anything less, and you are taking a big chance. Remember W.C. Field's quote on drinking water: " I never touch the stuff. Fish !#%* in it."

IMHO, the closest water should get to scotch or bourbon is in the form of an ice cube...I make no judgements, here, as I still have a friend that drinks scotch and cola...
Old 06-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #63
1 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
IMHO, the closest water should get to scotch or bourbon is in the form of an ice cube...I make no judgements, here, as I still have a friend that drinks scotch and cola...
I agree with you under normal circumstances, but we are talking about emergencies here. When you are out in the boonies you need water to survive. A 50/50 Scotch water mixture just might save your life. OTOH, I would rather die than waste a single malt with that much water.

I know people who drink very good Scotch with cola, but I wouldn't call them friends. Actually, I used to live in Venezuela, and Johnnie Walker Black with Coca Cola was their national drink.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Flush with Grey Water

After our last trip to the desert, I agree with 2air's recommendation above of using captured "light" grey water to flush the toilet. We keep a 7-gallon "blue cube" container outside of our Bambi, which we often use to rinse cookware and/or wash hands. A small basin or pail under the spigot collects the runoff (no "chunk" water with food particles; we scrape/wipe out pots and dishes before washing). We also use a smaller tupperware container in the galley sink to catch the "light" grey water, which is then collected (oil funnel with a sink strainer at the tip) in an empty gallon water container for use in flushing the toilet (turn off pump, of course). Those saved flushes add up to at least an extra shower for each of us over a week's trip.

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2010 Ford F-150 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4 w/ FlipPac camper shell
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Air Head Marine Composting Toilet, good for the whole season without dumping, check it out online, has gotten incredible reviews on several blogs and Boating mags. Consider solar with generator as back up if you really, really need it, so much quieter and good for the planet.
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
In an emergency, walmart plastic bags will JUST FIT in an airstream toilet...
Old 08-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumaCave View Post
Cat Box????? I will walk into the woods and go behind a tree before I use a cat box, besides what would my cat say?
HA!
...Don't ever brush that dogs teeth with MY toothbrush!!! what? Now this?!?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:54 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Depending on where we are, we use a five gallon bucket for outside with a 'real' toilet ring/lid that fits right down into it. Lined with a trash liner etc and some dis infectant poured in the bottom. This has come in handy several times.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Yep...5 gallon bucket does it...8 gallon bag fits well...2 knots...rodeo high sign...m
Old 10-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #70
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Here is my setup. It goes in the truck bed. The black 55 gallon drum is for wastewater, and the 72 gallon tank (on its side) is for fresh water. It can be pressured making it quick and easy to dump into the traylah.

Made these up from stuff I had lying around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49830003.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	949.0 KB
ID:	113032