Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2008, 11:23 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
gray water "safe to dump"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
How remote is this camp site. You know that they use to dump the grey water right out on the ground.. If it is just water used for washing hands and body and no food in it that is a option.....
Detergents in shampoo, body soap, creme rinse for hair - brush your teeth & spit, wash your privite parts, shave your pits or face? Dish detergent, grease, coffee, etc. Gray water may be a lot "blacker" than we think.

50 years ago there were a lot fewer campers so the environment and time could more easily take care of that waste without help. I don't think my boondocking is that "boonie". 2 Air is right about clogging the head on the tank cleaner. I'll use the sewer solution to drain into a 5 gallon drywall bucket, then dump it down the toilet. (Don't trip, and don't overfill the damn bucket!)

Thanks 2 air. Paula
Old 09-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Guess all those years as a white water guide and mountain guide makes my grey water not so grey, Bio soaps don't drink coffee, the wife does, but it's empty when she's done, If you are gonna dump it just be careful..

Where do you think the stuff you dump at those remote dump stations go????????? Into a septic system that leaches into the ground... You should always think about what you put in your grey tanks, and black for that matter....

Whether it is dumped on the surface or underground it still ends up in the ground.... It's just nice not to see it on the surface, thats for sure..... (Yes the tanks help break it down, the natural stuff, but not the unnatural stuff...)

Just a thought..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:58 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I don't understand what the big deal is with letting gray water drain on the ground in a boondocking situation, IF it is at a site that is used only a few times a year. It is not much different than washing your car in the yard. Your typical septic system drain field is not absorbing pristine crystal clear drinking water either.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #44
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think it has to do with the "leave it cleaner than when you arrived philosophy".

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Well I wouldn't dump it on sand stone but run a hose into the bushes and you should be ok, Just remember if you are in bear country they will be attracted to the smell, especially perfume soap smells, and any food bits.....

Be smart about it.......

And I have only done this in the open forest camp places... and then I have filled the portable tank and hauled it off away form the trailer, when in bear country...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
....and when the bear is finished be certain to take one of those little blue bags and pick up after him.
HAPPPY TRAILS
Old 09-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #47

Currently Looking...
port saint lucie , Florida
www.tractorsupply.com has a huge selection of wheels of all types and sizes
dennisf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Fresh and waste water tanks

Here is my waste and fresh water hauling system.I use this in the back of my Ford Excursion with the 3rd row seats removed.After the tanks are in I have plywood that goes on top of them so I can store stuff on top.
Photo 1. Is 100 gal fresh water tank.You could use 50 Gal tank.It goes in SUV first behind the 2nd row seats.
Photo 2. Is fresh water pump.This is same pump as used in the trailer and I plug it into one of the power out lets in the SUV.Then I can pump in to my trailer tank or I just hook it to my city water connection then when I turn the water on in the trailer the pump comes on and when I shut it off the pump stops.The pump is on RT side of SUV at end of the tank.
Photo 3. Is my 100 gal Black/Gray waste tank.You could use a 50 gal tank.It goes in behind the fresh tank at the rear doors of the SUV.The pump valve can be put up so you have more storage room on the floor.The dump valve goes to LF side of SUV.
Photo 4.This is the 12V DC Macerator pump.I power it from my trailer batteries.You hook the large hose to your trailer dump and a 3/4th hose from pump to top of wast tank.You DO WANT to start the pump 1st then open you trailer dump valve.
I have used this now for 3 years and it has worked very well for the kind of boondocking we do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FRESH WATER TANK.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	75199   Click image for larger version

Name:	FRESH WATER PUMP.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	75200  

Name:	WASTE WATER TANK.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	75201   Click image for larger version

Name:	WASTE WATER PUMP.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	75202  

Old 02-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #49
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Sir Craps-a-Lot

10 days, 6w 3 adults, 4w/two. Black, grey 3/4+ full. Fresh 3/4+ empty.

Granted we started with our 63 Safari so conservation of supplies was paramount, but what are ya'all do'n to fill up in three days? 2gal flushes?

OH...we got no wee ones with us.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #50
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Our bathroom sink runs into the black tank as well. Gray get shower and kitchen sink.
Wife and I both pee alot. So, 3 days is about max on the black tank.
Gray nearly fills in two days with a shower each daily, even on dribble mode as much as possible.
I try to stay where there are sewer hookups or honey depots. Otherwise a three day weekend is it.
I use several collapsable 5 gallon jugs and an electric pump to add extra fresh water. I like the smaller jugs as I can tote them by hand if the nearest faucet has no parking near.
Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #51
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw View Post
Our bathroom sink runs into the black tank as well. Gray get shower and kitchen sink.
Tom
Now that's something I wasn't aware of, does that apply to all newer units?
We have always brought about 12gal of bottled water with us for cook'n and coffee.
With the 63, after the black tank was 3/4 full, we got in the habit of turning the toilet off and dropping into an open hole, something we still do on occasion, although it's harder getting to the shut-off on the Classic. After dumping a triple flush was needed.
This was a few years ago when most of the remote places allowed grey water honey holes, we always strained thru cheesecloth to separate the gunk.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We have a hand-spray option on our toilet...gives direct spray where you need it and uses a lot less water...when in real conservation mode(fresh tank empty), we use a dishsoap bottle and squeeze it away. I often just 'shower' with a 1 gallon jug outside...it can be done, and well enough to be allowed back in the unit
I was told by the BLM guy out here at Quartzsite that if you wash your dishes in a plastic pan, you can throw out the water on the ground...if you have an outdoor shower, you can wash yourself outside...if you use the gray water tank, the contents are suddenly considered "toxic"...I have no clue as to the reasoning behind this, but, then, it IS a governmental agency...
Nightime discretion is the better part of valor, common sense in any given situation doesn't really cost anything, and WHERE else but the Forums could you discuss...uhm...'stuff' like this??? Gotta love it.
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Here's some pics of the 50 gal tank we use to transport the contents of our 20 and 16 gal waste tanks on the AS...when boondocking or dry camping at state parks...

We have a matching 50 gal tank to use for freshwater, and a 12 volt RV pump to transfer the water to the AS...

Thanks Jimmini for the inspiration...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mas hook [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	178
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	81528   Click image for larger version

Name:	mas pump [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	187
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	81529  

Name:	blk tank [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	180
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	81530   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank hookup [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	167
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	81531  

Name:	tank ftg [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	171
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	81532   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank ftgs [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	177
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	81533  

Old 06-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #54
Rivet Master

The voice of experience.....

Wally use to dig a " gopher hole " for running waste into. At first I was apalled to find out that this practice was in the owners manual. Now I think differently.
My buddy who had saved up his grey water, dumped it out all at once. I ran into his camper to warn him that his black water was leaking.
It smelled soooooooooooo bad. I educated him. Let they grey water go as you use it. A minute ago it was on your face and it didn't smell. ( even urine isn't toxic untill it grows bacteria ) If grey water sits in a tank it will grow stuff. A waste pump out " technician " was pumping out the same friends black water tank at the same outing. The "technician" had technical problems and ended up dumping about five gallons of raw black waste on to my campsite. I was furious. He then watered down the area with a few gallons of fresh water and the smell went away in 15 minutes. So I didn't shoot him. A horrible practice none the less.
Now my semi scientific reasoning. There was a study on outhouses.
They found that the nasties didn't get more than an inch or two away from the pit before micro organizims " ate " it. Backup arguments: a hundred gazillion cars loosing 1/4 inch of tread each year. Where do the
bits of rubber go. Micro organizims eat it before it gets a few feet from the road. Cover a tree stump with soil. It will be gone in a few years.
On the otherhand, Jamestown, the first " town " that the settlers settled,
was soon contaminated by waste. Disease is one of the reasons that they moved the town to Williamsburg. On yet another otherhand, the farmers on my road still use cow manure to fertilize the growing fields.
Now for the practical practices. Don't use your sink as a a disposall.
Wipe your dishes into a garbage pail. This also prevents your P-trap from smelling and drawing ants. Use enzymes, not perfumed chemicals, in both waste tanks.
Most of all, use your conscientious best judgement, to protect this fine land, and to honor your neighbors health. I realize that I am inviting backlash from other tree huggers everywhere. I am really only talking about fresh grey water. Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #55
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Now that's something I wasn't aware of, does that apply to all newer units?
We have always brought about 12gal of bottled water with us for cook'n and coffee.
With the 63, after the black tank was 3/4 full, we got in the habit of turning the toilet off and dropping into an open hole, something we still do on occasion, although it's harder getting to the shut-off on the Classic. After dumping a triple flush was needed.
This was a few years ago when most of the remote places allowed grey water honey holes, we always strained thru cheesecloth to separate the gunk.
The bathroom sink in my 28" Classic runs into the BLACK water tank. An install of convenience.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
I personally have not tried this method of conservation ,but here goes.Kitty litter! It works for cats indoors and solves the odor problem.I can think of a thousand jokes to fill this post but all joking aside isn't it feasible for humans? Rap it up in a plastic bag and throw it away.Absolutely no black water is used.There is none to cart to the dump.Call me a pig but after being outdoors for a few days I become acclimated to the weather and just don't have the need to wash much.Of course my wife is not there to tell me otherwise,so I'm good.However,a hot shower in the woods is a pure luxury when I use it.Handy wipes,I like them.Use them and into the plastic bag as well.If all that paper and waste is an odor problem,seal it in an air tight container until its time to go.Meow.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I don't mind the kitty litter idea, but I'm gonna balk at the scratch-over that follows...a good field shower can be had with a gallon jug of H2O warmed in the sun...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vero Beach , Florida
Cat Box????? I will walk into the woods and go behind a tree before I use a cat box, besides what would my cat say?
AlumaCave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #59
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie rich View Post
I personally have not tried this method of conservation ,but here goes.Kitty litter! It works for cats indoors and solves the odor problem.I can think of a thousand jokes to fill this post but all joking aside isn't it feasible for humans? Rap it up in a plastic bag and throw it away.Absolutely no black water is used.There is none to cart to the dump.Call me a pig but after being outdoors for a few days I become acclimated to the weather and just don't have the need to wash much.Of course my wife is not there to tell me otherwise,so I'm good.However,a hot shower in the woods is a pure luxury when I use it.Handy wipes,I like them.Use them and into the plastic bag as well.If all that paper and waste is an odor problem,seal it in an air tight container until its time to go.Meow.
Hi Richie rich,

Let me get this straight. You line the crapper with a plastic bag and back fill the toilet with Kitty Litter. Is that how it works?

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
What I then do is use the fresh tank for just drinking, cooking and basic things.

I
I never knew you could drink water all by itself until I joined this forum. We only use fresh water for bathing, cleaning, and to put in our Britta filter pitcher. When we need to drink water, even from the Britta, I find it safer to put antiseptic in the water before drinking. After trying several, I find that Bourbon and Scotch work best. Do anything less, and you are taking a big chance. Remember W.C. Field's quote on drinking water: " I never touch the stuff. Fish !#%* in it."
jmallgood is offline   Reply With Quote