Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2005, 09:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Where possible I let the grey water drain into the woods. I use a special dump valve cap that has a standard hose fitting built-in, then use a segment of old garden hose to extend the reach into the woods. Some places allow this, some do not. This can greatly extend your stay.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:34 AM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
Where possible I let the grey water drain into the woods. I use a special dump valve cap that has a standard hose fitting built-in, then use a segment of old garden hose to extend the reach into the woods. Some places allow this, some do not. This can greatly extend your stay.
I think a lot of us have this setup. Its always interesting to see the late night folks prowling around near their dump outlet.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
I hope that those 10" plastic wheels on your 32 gal. tote cart will stand up to your trips to the dump station. Let us know how it works out.
Bob, I have pulled this same 32 gallon tote behind my truck for two winter seasons, and the wheels have not suffered. I only tow at walking speed.
Nick.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Bob, I have pulled this same 32 gallon tote behind my truck for two winter seasons, and the wheels have not suffered. I only tow at walking speed.
Nick.
Nick,

That's great! I had a 32 gal tote cart and sold it. I guess it depends on where you Boondock and where the dumpstation is in relation to your camp, as well as the condition of the road between.

In my experiences in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests here in Virginia, the DS is about 1-2 miles away and on gravel or tar & seal forest roads. I doubt the wheels of my cart would have held up on the gravel even at walking speed, but I also didn't want to spend most of my day creeping along with my cart.

As a suggestion, one or two 10 gallon carts the are easily loading into the bed of my truck make for a quick trip to the DS. To each his own.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Bob, you're right, 1 to 2 miles on gravel roads would wreck the tote. 200 yards on a decent surface is about the maximum I would travel with it, and that's been fine in the Florida State Parks, so far.
Nick.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:15 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Problem with the Tote Tank

Well, I have not had any problems with my tote tank UNTIL this last weekend. My campsite was about 3 miles from the dump station, and I had to dump. So, I pulled it behind my truck EXTREMELY slowly, and when I got to the dump station, the wheels were just toasted. SO, now I just don't know what to do. I don't want to replace them with the same thing, and I don't want to replace my whole tank with a smaller one. Does anyone have any good ideas? I was wondering if there might be some other types of wheels that I could easily put on the axle. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, and I am no welder. So, any easy fixes are very much appreciated. We just can't camp at our favorite locations without the tank.

Thank you for your help!!!!
bimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Try the Tractor Store for hard rubber wheels (lawn mower wheels). They may even have small diameter pneumatic tires (the best IMHO) that will fit.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 03-01-2006, 07:04 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

OK, I had the same problem. The dump was about 2 miles from the campsite, and even though I basically crawled, the wheels were just gone. Now, I am having a hard time finding replacement wheels since the tank has a 5/8" bore. Anyone have any good ideas on where to find replacement wheels that are not plastic?
bimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:18 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Bimi,

Try these guys:

http://www.mytscstore.com/default.asp
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 03-02-2006, 04:54 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
We can thank another forum member for showing us this trick. It works and definitely can extend our stay by almost 1/3. Try it sometime.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:40 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
We can thank another forum member for showing us this trick. It works and definitely can extend our stay by almost 1/3. Try it sometime.
"Honey , that darn gray water tank leaked out again!" That is our usual am joke while we are camping.
We are very careful with what we put in the gray tank... no food debris and very little soap.
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:21 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
My first message got dumped before I could finish - but what I was complaining about is that the discharge height on my AS is too low to work well with the 32 gal tote. I have to "milk" the hose to facilitate emptying the AS tank - and it's difficult to thoroughly clean the hose. Other than that, no problem so far with the wheels.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
the discharge height on my AS is too low to work well with the 32 gal tote.
Cracker, I get over this by connecting the outlet hose to the outlet with the slide closer on the tote. After disconnecting from the trailer end of the pipe, I close the valve, and keep the hose attached while en route to the dump station, with the end of the pipe tied up to the top inlet. It works for me. Nick
Old 03-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Cracker, I get over this by connecting the outlet hose to the outlet with the slide closer on the tote. After disconnecting from the trailer end of the pipe, I close the valve, and keep the hose attached while en route to the dump station, with the end of the pipe tied up to the top inlet. It works for me. Nick
Yep - I'm sure that would work Nick! My problem is that, up to now I've been using a "longer" discharge hose and I'd have a difficult time figuring out how to stow the hose while enroute to the dump. Disconnecting from the side fitting - after closing the blade valve - invariably leaves residue in the hose - although I've done it by tilting the tote up on its side. Making up a short hose that would "just reach" where it has too - plus an appropriate rubber tiedown - sounds like a good solution. Thanks for the idea!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:57 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I have made a special 6" short hose to go between my 22 gallon tote and coach. Most of the time, due to topography, the distance from outlet to tote is very small, and this shorty works just about every time.

Perhaps some of us need a tote for the tote! Maybe a metal framed "buggy" with decent tires to pull it long distances. Yep!, just what we need, something else to bring along on a camping trip!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Equalizing Black & Gray Tanks

I don't do really good G.I. showers so every time I'm off the grid for a week I have a full gray tank and 1/8 full black tank.

Last night I had a possible epiphany... or of course it might be a BAD idea... so you tell me.

I use a Sewer Soluton to drain my tanks, which I rinse and run bleach thru after each use. I also have the built in black tank sprayer standard on 2006 models. I've been bailing the dish sink and shower pan into the toilet every time I boondock. Is there any reason that I couldn't just put a standard male connection on the end of the Sewer solution, hook up the other end to the drain, open the GRAY valve and let the water pressure push water into the black tank via the hose hooked up to the BLACK tank sprayer?

Paula
Old 09-04-2008, 11:02 AM   #37
_

. , .
hi paula...

the brain is churning, i like that.

-the built in btf HEAD in the tank has several small holes for water, like a tiny shower head.

-so any debris in the incoming line will plug the head quickly and repair is a PIA.

-food, fats, oil and hair for the wash water will plug that btf head in short order.

-since the 2 tanks are the same level, gravity isn't gonna help move much water, without a pump to assist.

-one COULD just just a garden hose and inline pump BUT the btf head is still an issue.

the low tech solution is empty 5 gallons of wash water into a labeled 6 gal jug or bucket or the smallest blue totes...

and carry it back inside, to flush the toilet.

in fact you could turn off the freshwater TO the toilet and do this...

which would increase available water capacity slightly.

many folks have added hose and small pumps to send wash water TO the black tank,

i've seen several committed boondockers do this but i don't want more holes and hoses to leak and stink.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
No blue boy

This the system I use in my Excurtion with the 3rd row seats removed to haul my wast United States, North America

I also have 100gal fresh water tank that has the same pump as my trailer pump that is hooked into one of the power outlet.The hose is then hooked to my city water on my trailer.
Can now boondock for ever with out moving the trailer.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I think pneumatic tires for the blue tank can be found at Harbor Freight for less than $6 each.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:24 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
How remote is this camp site. You know that they use to dump the grey water right out on the ground.. If it is just water used for washing hands and body and no food in it that is a option.....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote