Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Boondocking 101 and 102

Boondocking is NOT being set up at an RV Park with full hookups, restrooms with showers, swimming pool and nail salon.

Boondocking to Westerners, is... well camping with accommodations supplied by what you brought with you. If you need something left at home… well… tough. Next time make a list of what to bring.

We can debate Boondocking and the numerous opinions, but Boondocking 101 and 102 can be used by all of those with a differing opinion than a Western Boondocker. Western = Rocky Mountain Boondocking. Not West Coast pay and stay camping. Those camped at Tin Cup, Colorado only wish that the chipmunks would entertain themselves... outside the trailer and possibly some well water and a candy bar without an expired date code is available for 99 cents. Bartering with other campers with hard candy for an apple is common place.

Boondocking 101: At elevation, yes way above Sea Level. When you discover an excellent open area to camp in the Rocky Mountains, experienced campers 6,000 feet and above... have a secret that Greenhorn Boondockers, do not.

You orientate your Trailer, RV or Bus with one side of your trailer facing SUNRISE and the other side is automatically facing... SUNSET.

Why? When the daytime temperatures vary in the mid 60's to low 80's, 5% humidity during the day on a HOT day, your Airstream will absorb heat from sunrise to sunset. When the temperatures dip into the upper 40's to 50's at night... you will be very comfortable with the 'free heating of the trailer's exterior'. This is maybe late June to early August when the snow drifts have finally melted... in the shade at higher elevations. We have awakened to frost on the outside of the trailer often. It immediately retreats at Sunrise. By the time we have breakfast… it is 1% humidity and 50 degrees seems to be a sauna.

The REVERSE is true when it is HOT. You point one end towards Sunrise. Less surface area being heated. Yep… you got it. The other end has the least amount of surface area facing, Sunset. It works. If you already practice these simple techniques, you are on your way to Boondocking 102.

I hope others will add to the Boondocking count. I have BD101 and BD102 Covered. What are YOUR lessons learned the hard way, like ours. Stupid camping is not eternal. It is a learning exercise that is not taught at school or at home. It is trial and error. For each error made, a lesson has been learned. Rather simple, I say.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Simple concepts, although they had never dawned on me. Perhaps because I have yet to camp where I had any options as to how to face the trailer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Simple concepts, although they had never dawned on me. Perhaps because I have yet to camp where I had any options as to how to face the trailer.
Al
Al... We all need to Save Face... the Trailer. My own with Adventures of my own making. Once you can accept things as they are... you go on and finally can take advice from those others wandering the deserts and mountains.

It works, it is easy, nobody else will even notice... until 1AM when the pillow is wet and the family is sweating profusely onto the mattress and fake leatherette couches.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Boondocking 102 + or -

Boondocking 102. A more contentious and personal relationship with mind over matter.

The Matter is… Toilet Tissue, aka Toilet Paper, aka in the military BW, or for this discussion… Scott Tissue Single Ply Walmart.

It is so fragile and thin, that you can see through it. Much like a modern newspaper, but without the ink.

This is great stuff for those of you who dump TT, TP, BW or STS into your Black Tank. It breaks down in your hand and in the Black Tank immediately after the 3 ounce water flush. No more complaining on the Forum… as I just cannot understand why many campers think you need to “Squeeze the Charmin”. It is durable and you will eventually clog up the works and then post on the Forum some miserable experience looking up into the Black Tank dump hose… and WHAM BAM it comes loose.

We do not dump anything manufactured by a tree harvester or recycler of magazines, cardboard boxes, cereal cartons, newsprint, birthday cards, etc. Use a convenient disposal method near the ‘facility’ and drop it off at each gas station, that is already sticking it to you for fuel.

A big secret to those who are wise and are not concerned about those who slept in at the campsite and now decide YOU are at the Dump Site… much too long and want you gone, sooner than later. (A Thread currently running to the Toilet, at present.) Prior to or at the Dumpsite, I have explained to those who do use their Airstream barely functioning toilet with minimal water to mix and dilute solids… what to do.

You take a water hose with adjustable nozzle into your restroom and HOSE THE MOUND OF SOLIDS into the Black Tank Mix. Sure it may seem unpleasant the first time, but there are worse things that can occur if you are so fragile and icky things bother you. I read about it on the Forum. It is not from my experience as we do practice Smart Boondocking.

So much for BD102. This knocks out two at the same time. Maybe three to five if you are currently posting on a Toilet and Black Water Thread. May the Curse of the Stool follow you everywhere… is my sense of justice. Do stupid, Be stupid… suffer the consequences.

Imagine yourself suffering from Motion Sickness and kneeling in front of your Airstream Stool for... comfort. Hell has no options for the sick nor lazy.

Yes. We leave Tuesday AM. The Airstream Refrigerator is cooling on ‘house power’ and the propane is being purged of any AIR from the system. The refrigerator will be running the next two days to get down to temperature, not on Propane until we are leaving. Nancy loads the Ice Box and the Refrigerator the day before with ice cubes, as well. We will be gone, I will shut up and finally be happy we are out on the current Adventure. No Plan in Advance. Just a carton full of maps and, of course Scott Tissue Single Play Walmart best of the best...

I see Unifreck is following this Thread. A Western Howdy to a couple of people who can survive ALL of the Adventures and never complained. Ed and Jan you are Number One on our list of... Californians. My first.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Ray—-Thanks to you and Nancy, Jan and I have become comfortable with Boondocking and enjoy it immensely as long as I include a stop on our trips for a motel and shower and someone else’s cooking every few days when we are between locations.
Wish we had more group trips with our wonderful teacher/leaders
AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
Ray—-Thanks to you and Nancy, Jan and I have become comfortable with Boondocking and enjoy it immensely as long as I include a stop on our trips for a motel and shower and someone else’s cooking every few days when we are between locations.
Wish we had more group trips with our wonderful teacher/leaders
AEW
Ed spent a week's allowance on a First Aid Kit for the 2016 Wyoming Adventure. I have enough supplies to last me for a couple lifetimes of Adventures. We did not need to dispense anything on these western trips.

How is Sir Guinness the Jumping and Running Dog and Jan coming along? If needed, we can get together and I can further the Ray the Dog Tamer techniques.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Thanks Ray! Your past posts have made me consider things I hadn’t thought of for Boondocking. We aren’t yet serious, up backroads truly into the wilds boondockers (yet) but we occasionally venture into reasonably accessible Boondocking locations. As we get more experience we will venture further and further.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
Thanks Ray! Your past posts have made me consider things I hadn’t thought of for Boondocking. We aren’t yet serious, up backroads truly into the wilds boondockers (yet) but we occasionally venture into reasonably accessible Boondocking locations. As we get more experience we will venture further and further.

Walt. You are 80% there to Off the Grid Boondocking. Most Forest Service roads into the mountains have been used and improved for 100 years.

The first time you just go... towards the unknown... it the hardest. I recommend that you detach the trailer in town and drive a gravel road into an area. If it is meets your comfort level and you find one or more campsites possibilities... try it. Just the sense of success is building your experience level.

Lilly&Me do not comment on my threads, but she was able to find her way in and out of remote Boondocking locations. The confusion are the routes to take and making those snap decisions if I should, or should not take a particular not as well used road. Maggie is tough, but needed to take that next step and then she would be leading an Airstream Caravan on her own.

If you are a Tent Camper... you understand. Someone living in an Urban environment think of what nasty things happen to people who run out of fuel in the Mohave Desert, no water and then go wandering around looking for a pay telephone, mentality.

Those who attended the 2016 Wyoming Adventure, in August, caught, wind, rain, sleet, hail and snow within ten days. Some could handle it. Some could not. OTG Boondocking is an experience, not a picnic to sip wine and put candles outside for atmosphere.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Ray, Thank you for the great Boondocking 101 and 102 tips. Keep them coming for us Boondocking Wantabees!

My wife and I are heading out for the Sierra Mountains in four days for our very first real boondocking adventure. We have spent a few days here or there without power in the past with very bad dead-battery experiences. We now have a newly installed 400W solar system with new 6V golf cart batteries and expect a much improved battery experience. In other words, we hope our battery will not be a limitation anymore.

Our next limiting factor will be our fresh water capacity. We've always been water conservative and never hook up to pressure water, even when its available at a campground. We can make our 40 gallon fresh water capacity last over one week. Black and grey water are less of an issue for an Airstream 25' since each tank is equal size to the fresh water capacity. It will be interesting to find out how long we can boondock before we need campground services such as water or a dump station.

I really appreciate the tips on how to orient the Airstream to maximize heating and cooling while boondocking. Another new purchase for boondocking is a Little Buddy Heater. My thoughts are to use the Little Buddy to heat up the Airstream before going to sleep and again when we wake. I don't believe I could sleep with the Little Buddy heating for safety reasons. I plan to use the Airstream propane furnace on a low setting while sleeping now that we will have the battery capacity. Any thoughts along these lines would be helpful.

Again, if you have boondocking tips 103 and beyond, keep them coming. Maybe we will see you this summer while boondocking in the mountains!
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Airmiles... Little Buddie should be Boondocking 103. Thalweg from Buffalo, Wyoming had one on the 2016 Wyoming Adventure... and it is small and powerful. Makes the Airstream's furnace weak in comparison.

After ten days we will have ZERO Black water and ZERO Grey water. Previous long posts on Boondocking are back a page or two. We ALWAYS have to dump fresh water on the way home in our 25 footer.

Our fresh water is as if we are in a Sailboat floating around in the Pacific Ocean waiting to be found. It is 100% used for consumption, food preparation and Dry Camp Washing ourselves. Imagine yourself as a 'tent camper'.

We carry an empty five gallon water jug. We carry a full five gallon water jug for our two Blue Heelers.

When we are not certain if we are going to be exploring for a day or a week in some interesting geological area, we top off our FRESH WATER, just in case. For those of you who are using your Black Water Tank...

Boondocking 104- If you use your Blackwater Tank Toilet and leaving a remote campsite to head into town. Dump three gallons or more fresh water into the tank so on the way into town, the sloshing will dislocate everything sticking to the sides and bottom sludge in the tank.

Boondocking 105- When at a Dump Station, take a flashlight and look into the Black Tank through the toilet. If you see a 'Bat Guano Mound', take your water hose with adjustable nozzle and break this up. Otherwise you will spend years regretting not cleaning out the Black Tank properly. Chemicals are a joke to those who know better. YOU put it in there... YOU can get it out.

Geez... I cannot wait until we are back on the Airstream Boondocking Adventure Tuesday morning. My book business is shut down, the paper is shut down and the neighbors are wondering why we have... not already left.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Boondocking 106-

BEFORE leaving on an extended or short Boondocking Trip, this will help you start with a fresh 100% Battery and a Cold Refrigerator at 37F and Freezing Zero F degree freezer. (Slightly warmer for the 23 footers with smaller Refrigerators with the ice box cooling system.)

Plug your Airstream to House Power 110v (If available, If not, this tip is not going to work for you.). Turn your Refrigerator on to AUTO a day or two in advance of filling it. AUTO will go to electricity first and default to propane when you disconnect. After your Refrigerator is cooled to close to your expectations... THEN fill it with frozen food and refrigerated perishables.

On newer Airstreams, if you stay on Auto, and stop at a service station... it will shut off the Propane supply to the Refrigerator. (Nancy tells me so..., so it must be true!) So your Refrigerator is now OFF while you are using the Restroom and browsing for a funny cap or purchasing items you forgot to load into the trailer.

So, after unplugging... select GAS while traveling. Otherwise all of this preparation will be lost and the food could spoil if the trailer is sitting too long. This is for those who understand that having the Refrigerator ON while at a Service Station is not creating an imminent Danger of Explosion from gasoline fumes.

This has been discussed for the last 12 years on the Airforums. Find the Thread(s) and decide for yourselves. Personally, the Trailer is far enough back from fueling not to be an issue. After two years in the field with OSHA in Wyoming... I NEVER EVER heard of an incident. Oxygen tanks and greasy rags... YES. The 'Sky is Falling' for some people and just do what you feel prudent.

I have a 12 inch stick to prop open the vent cover for the Refrigerator Fan for those who do not vent through the roof of the Trailer. It seems to help move hot air out of the trailer and copper tubing with NH4 circulating and doing 'its thing'.

Boondocking 107:

Water away from Home or Service Stations. The Bureau of Land Management and the Forest Service provide FRESH WATER to trailer and RV Owners. Some more remote area offices in the Rocky Mountains have well water that is almost as sweet tasting as an IPA Beer pulled out of an ice bucket. I would dump my Fresh Water Tank for BLM and NFS field office fresh water, any day, so you understand. For your FIRST TIME... the pumps are usually locked to keep locals from taking 2000 gallons at a time. Go to the Office and ASK if you can fill your fresh water tank. They already saw you drive up in your Airstream... US your own water hose. If a water hose is at the pump, it is NOT one you want to use.

I would make a list of those Offices in Wyoming, New Mexico and Utah... but you are on your own. This is no longer a secret and I do not want to ruin a good thing... yet.

Anyone have Boondocking 108? Come on Folks. Step up to the plate and put in a few swings at these curve balls...
Old 05-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Boondocking 108:

If you have the round cutting board for a 'sink cover'... this is for your eyes... only.

Never leave the cutting board resting into the sink cavity designed to... hold it. It will be off as soon as you make a left or right turn. If it gets loose... you will have to explain how things were dented in the process. Making excuses about forgetting this simple BD Tip will not make up for the damage possible.

We take ours and lay it on the bed. Now with a Watermelon, our Solar Panel and add this to the mix.

Boondocking 109:

Always have your WATER PUMP OFF, when not in use. Camped or on the Road. If you are not concerned... you will understand some day soon. Why discover what can wrong, now that you have been warned.

Boondocking 110:

Any cabinet doors or drawers that open while traveling... will open again while traveling. Secure them. Tie them down. Use latches. Do something. When the drawer or door detaches, it will damage your interior or drawer will 'decompose' upon impact(s) as you travel. The hinges on door and the drawer slides are something I would use for a kid's playhouse and not in an expensive trailer. But, as you know... I am a sour puss when it comes to upgrading plastic parts to metal.

Boondocking 111:

Have a plastic 'water bowl' that fits into your kitchen sink. As water collects, open the trailer door and toss water into the grass when Off the Grid. If at a campsite, toss the water into a bush. Why have it go down the drain? It is fresh water and the plants will thank you profusely... I believe.

Do the same for washing your face or hands. Smart camping is learned, not discovered at home where everything goes down the... drain to somewhere unknown to you.

Boondocking 112:

Spread an outdoor mat for wiping your feet. We use three or four so our Blue Heelers can stretch out. I use my Vietnam free duffle bag to put rolled outdoor mats into it. Has my Name and SS number for all to see that I have good reason having attitude can make a quick decision doing simple things that are hard for a few others... to understand.

Boondocking 113: Awnings... I know, this is getting too 'wordy' and 'nerdy' for those with short attention spans... so I will quit so some of the experienced Boondockers can say a few words about what to do, what not to do and why.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
I've traveled the Southwest in AS for 22 years and live in AZ desert oriented our adobe home to north / south. Why I never thought to do so for AS boondocking, I'll never know. So thanks for that tip. Duh!
Addendum to BD102: A) If you have ever traveled into the heart of Mexico and not stayed in a high end hotel, you know that one can rarely put TP in toilet due to crappy (no pun intended) plumbing. If it doesn't gross you out, put used TP into plastic lined bin next to toilet instead. Then you could use the soft and fluffy stuff and doesn't fill your tank so quickly. I have composting toilet. Helps with that, too. Doesn't gross me out at all. B) if you have ice to spare before you pull out of BD site. Toss into black tank to break up solids and scrub sides while traveling down road.
Addendum 103: correct me if I'm wrong, But. I chose NOT to get Big Buddy heater because reviews stated it works poorly at elevations above 7000'. I chose to get the, slightly, more expensive Olympic Wave catalytic heater. Have used with no problem at higher ele. Keep 'em comin', folks.
adobehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:19 PM   #14
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hi Ray,

Thanks for your comments about boondocking. You've brought up some approaches to issues that we had not considered. We certainly enjoyed our trip with you and Nancy a few years ago and proudly salute the 5 rigs that completed the journey! We're still in the 101 class but feel like 102, 103 and beyond are not outside our comfort zone.

I often ponder the idea of wandering west and we've tentatively put it on our calendar to journey to WY again this year. Maybe we'll have an opportunity to join you & Nancy, unifreck, or others. Keep us posted on your travels (stop by a public library now and then to post pictures if you have time).
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Yep, been flooded by Boondocking 109 on our first trip. Honey, what's that smoke trailing out behind the Airstream? Better stop and check. That's not smoke, it water pouring out of the Airstream and vaporizing as it hits the road! Get the towels!

Thanks for all the Boondocking Tips! Gearing up to leave Florida for the summer on Thursday!
Old 05-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Boondocking 114: The best boondocking sites go to those who move mid-week and sit tight on weekends.

Boondocking 115: Have a checklist . . . and use it! Don't get interrupted while connecting the Airstream or let others give you a hand as important steps, like inserting the hitchpin, could be missed. Do you know the WDH on some Airstreams can bind the receiver so tightly that a hitchpin is not needed? Mine does, but I wouldn't suggest doing this! Following a checklist and doing the steps in exactly the same order every time creates muscle memory so steps, like inserting the hitchpin, are not forgotten.

Boondocking 116: Remove the WDH bars before backing into a campsite with difficult entry angles.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Hi Ray and Lucious——Jan and I are returning home after 4 weeks on the road
last weekend in Pismo Beach at the antique trailer show staying at State Park which is only dry camping with RULES AND RESTROOMS. We are ready for the Magic Dog Whisperer to take Guinness to the next step. We’re ready to leave after paying bills and washing clothes. Please let us know if we can meet you all somewhere
AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:51 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

This is an incredible thread with some seriously excellent info. Thanks!!
hannahreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:51 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Woo Hoo.

The snow-pack is melting at altitude, the mama bears have emerged with their cubs and ... and Ray is back! Three threads no less. Don't care who you are, there's at least one hidden Gem (geologist, right?) in there somewhere that you didn't know.

Joining so I don't lose out.

Welcome back; Hi to Nancy.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
Woo Hoo.

The snow-pack is melting at altitude, the mama bears have emerged with their cubs and ... and Ray is back! Three threads no less. Don't care who you are, there's at least one hidden Gem (geologist, right?) in there somewhere that you didn't know.

Joining so I don't lose out.

Welcome back; Hi to Nancy.
Yup, I was in in the Bighorns this afternoon. The snow is melting at the lower elevations. We've got amazing snow high up. It's going to be a great runoff season in northern Wyoming. I saw mama bear and two baby bears last week. Oodles of elk about, deer everywhere you look, a few moose have been around, and the antelope next to the house are being goofy. If we're lucky we'll see a few wild and elusive Eklunds migrate through the area. That would be quite a sight.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote