Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
BLM Yuma & Quartzsite

Hello fellow travelers

I've done the forum searches and found articles on both areas to be a little thin

The winds are blowing me in that direction, and I'm looking for some peace and solitude to break out the canvases and paint.

So, what do we know about BLM camping in Yuma, and or Quartzside or any other interesting areas

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

BLM Yuma area

You might want to check out Rich Luhr's blog. Tour of America He made a visit there a short while back to gather material for a future issue of the magazine.
argy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quartzside is a dive. Yuma has potential. k.
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thanks argy,

I've checked out Rich L's blog. I really enjoy his writing.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Michael...hope you are recovering from the ordeal in Las Cruses...hey since you've gone this far, you might as well keep going, right? Sorry you had to miss the Deadhorse Rally...

I can't tell you much about Yuma area because we have not camped there (yet) but it is a big winter visitor destination so I'm sure there are some interesting places... And I am personally not so thrilled with Quartzsite...but Buckskin Mt. and Cattail Cove State Parks north of Quartzsite above Parker AZ are right on the lower Colorado and are interesting.... Buckskin Mountain State Park and Cattail Cove State Park

And your route to get to either Yuma or Quartzsite will bring you along I-10 and I can recommend some state parks on that route...first would be Roper Lake State Park north of I-10 on 191 just south of Safford, AZ Roper Lake State Park We have been there many times and always enjoy it.

Then there is Kartchner Caverns State park just 9 miles south of I-10 on Highway 90...we have not been there but are tring to get down there this next week sometime, and "do" that area of Arizona... Kartchner Caverns State Park There are also several private RV parks in Willcox and Benson if you need to over night in that area.

In the Tucson area, I would recommend Gilbert Ray Camp Ground on the west side of the Tucson Mts...it's run by Pima County... NRPR - Gilbert Ray Campground It is beautiful with great desert views and not far from Tucson (where there is an Airstream dealer...Oasis RV)... I'd stay there rather than any of the commemrcial parks along the way...so much nicer.

Even closer into the northwest side of Tucson is Catalina State Park... Catalina State Park

Then 45 miles north of Tucson on I-10 is Picacho Peak State Park...one of our favorite places, and great for a night-over becuase it is right on I-10...and before you hit the I-8 interchange toward Yuma and San Diego. Picacho Peak State Park

You can see pics and read about all these places except Kartchner Caverns on our travel log site (link below).

If you do decide to go to Quartzsite before Yuma and want to by-pass the Phoenix metro area, take I-8 west from I-10 to Gila Bend and pick up Highway 85 to go north to I-10 west of Phoenix...then west on I-10 toward Quartzsite (and Buckskin Mt. & Cattail Cove).

If solitude is what you want, there is also Alamo Lake State Park which is north of I-10 very much off the beaten path and miles from nowhere. This time of year is should be very quiet. If you go there and are on the road north, just keep driving and jsut when you thought you took a wrong turn, you'll get there...it's a long, lonely drive. Alamo Lake State Park

Hope this helps...there are lots of places to boondock in the Quartzssite area, and I believe there are some in the Yuma area as well...but I can't give you any details...

Good luck!
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
great reply to the post!

however; i thought the question was:

" So, what do we know about BLM camping in Yuma, and or Quartzside."

i took that to mean "free", whilst doing art activities.

Quartzside is a complete dive. if you like trash, and lot's of free campers and all things trash, it's your kinda place. however you may be into "trash art". so perhaps you should go there and see for yourself.

Yuma, i've always enjoyed. i can only imagine, that art is enhanced in Yuma or the surrounding area. but then again, art could suck in Yuma as well...

k.
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Just left Quartzite last week. Generators runing all night, naked wmen and lots of whiskey. I am returning ASAP.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
great reply to the post!

however; i thought the question was:

" So, what do we know about BLM camping in Yuma, and or Quartzside."

i took that to mean "free", whilst doing art activities.

..snip...

k.
I understand, but one has to get to Yuma and/or Quartzsite from Las Cruses, NM (where ArtStream is currently)...just offering some options along the way and perhaps beyond...can't hurt.

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We have been staying at Quartzsite(Q) for six weeks, boondocking at long term visitation areas(LTVAs), Primarily at Tyson Wash. There are 3 areas for LTVA, and they are located south of the town off of 95...they are all, collectively, called La Posa. The first one is about 1/2 mile from the 95 overpass over IH 10 and on your left...called La Posa North. La Posa West is directly across on your right, and while not designated an LTVA, is used as one, and the strict enforcement of areas has not been a problem. If you head further south a couple or so miles there will be two more entrances on either side of the road that will be La Posa-Tyson Wash(on the right) and La Posa South on the left. La Posa South has the dump station(with a rinse hose) x 2, and the potable water stations(at least 8).South of Tyson is an area designated 14 day(don't know about enforcement) called Road Runner.
To the west and south of Q is a 14 day area(don't know about enforcement) called Dome Rock Road.
To the north of Q are two areas that are designated 14 day limit areas, but once again, the enforcement just isn't there. At mm112 is Hi Jolly, on the east side...it is the smallest camping area, and I don't know about the enforcement there. a few miles further north, also on the east side. is Plomosa Road. We camped there for about a week with Jimmini, and we enjoyed it, but went back to Tyson Wash, as we preferred it. I believe the enforcement there was also lacking, although we did see a ranger pull a motorcycle over for some traffic infraction. There also was the factor of people we met who could watch over our MH while we had to drive out of town, and Jim had to leave the other site. One of them has an AS MH, which is how we met, to begin with. There is another AS TT within shouting distance, and another about 1/4 mile up from there. If you are going to be down there, give us a pm, and I will send you our email and cell #, and we would be more than happy to meet you and show you the area. Any of the camp entrances has a ranger station to provide local BLM camp maps.
As for Yuma, we haven't been there, yet, but I know they have a large area called Imperial Dam. What I have heard is that when the wind comes in, the dust can be horrific, and several folks said they would not go back because of that.
We are currently at Dead Horse, and will stay after the rally until we can get a couple of tires put on the MH and get an alignment.
Glad to hear you are back on the road.
mike
BTW, a 14 day permit, the least you can purchase, is $40. The long term permit, good for 7 or 8 months, is $180. OK, now for a bit of confusing info, the areas that are 14 day limitation areas are free, unless you want to stay in a LTVA, then the $40 is required, but there are no facilities available, except for what you have. The permit areas allow free use of the dumping and potable water stations. They also have dumpsters, and if you're brave or just don't have olefactory sensitivity, there are pit toilets scattered around.
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I forgot to mention another area EAST of Q and south of the 10 called Scaddon Wash-14 day limit, free, and the first place we stayed in Q 4 years ago...thought it was nice, but if I ever went back, it would be way south in the area, because the noise from the freeway is right there...
mike
Old 02-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
We chose to stay in Dateland 60 miles east of Yuma at the Oasis RV Park rather than stop in the 800 to 1000 site trailer/motorhome parks in Yuma. They looked neatly kept from the road but reminded me too much of the trailer park my aunt lived in 40 years ago. Oasis is a small ~30 site private RV park on the old highway just east and south of Dateland with large sites, little patios, etc.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Another interesting area is south of Wellton, exit 30 and cross the Mohawk Canal. The road is graded and there are numerous camping areas. This road hooks up to the infamous "Devils Highway" which runs thru the Barry Goldwater Air force Range.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Carrara , Gold Coast
No one speaks of the Imperial Dam area?

Is it worth the effort?

BB
busybuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by busybuoy View Post
No one speaks of the Imperial Dam area?

Is it worth the effort?

BB
We like Quartzsite better.Imperial dam area can be a REAL DUST bowl.There is one paved parking lot that they call a camp ground.All the rest can be dusty and windy.They have had rain there so the dust might not be to bad now.We lasted 2 days and moved to Quartzsite 2 year ago and have never gone back.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #15
tracker

1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
Hi artstream, I used to work at a small Calif state recreation area just North of Yuma. On the Colorado river. called Picacho state recreation area. It was/ is surounded by BLM land that is open to dry camping. Very nice looking country with lots of wildlife and oddly enough for the desert very good fishing. Tracker.
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Just for info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Hello fellow travelers

I've done the forum searches and found articles on both areas to be a little thin

The winds are blowing me in that direction, and I'm looking for some peace and solitude to break out the canvases and paint.

So, what do we know about BLM camping in Yuma, and or Quartzside or any other interesting areas

Michael
Michael,
While I can't add any additional info abt the specifics of Yuma or Quartzside..I can offer these links to others sites as you head out that way..

FREE CAMPGROUNDS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Page 1 - FREE Camping along HIGHWAY 395

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/

This site is maintained by an old friend and, his main thing is FREE or low cost camping.
If you surf the links on the left hand side, you'll see pretty nice locations and photos too..Tell the "Dutch" I send you..lol
Good luck and, safe traveling..
53FC
I hope this might be of some help for you..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
What a difference a year makes...!!!
Hello Michael, and Paul...we're at Dead Horse SP in Cottonwood, then Austin for a couple, then back to Q...hopefully, our site will still be open...missed you guys this year.
mike&tracy
Old 02-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
We just returned from the Imperial Dam area today. Jimmini has a good point about the dust, but it was not bad while we were there. If you keep driving on the gravel roads near the north shore area, there are some spots away from the crowds of other RVs there for the winter. If we had more ground clearance, we would have driven all the way to north shore at Senator Wash.
pauly g is offline   Reply With Quote