Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1996 28' Excella
Mobile , Mississippi
Biodegradable soap

I'll be doing a fair amount of boondocking on my own land.

I plan on an outdoor shower and toilet, but plan on composting as much as possible. I need to build up organic material...

I want to take care of my land, and would be interested in finding out what ecologically friendly substitutes you use for various things.

Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Your local health food store or REI would be a good source of organic/biodegradeable soaps and cleaning products. Things like vinegar and water instead of Windex, a tea made from thyme leaves as a disinfectant for cleaning counter tops, and baking soda as a deodorizer and scouring powder (though it may scratch surfaces) are some simple substitutes. You can also use baking soda as an anti-perspirant! It's a bit abrasive, so mix it with a little bath powder, and just apply a pinch or two. But it really works. Plain lanolin (a natural product from wool) works in tiny amounts as a hand-cream and leave-in hair conditioner.

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Hydrogen Peroxide is a great surface disinfectant. It disapates harmlessly in short order. Just dillute to proper streangth and wipe off your surfaces. For that matter of all things, clorine is a great disinfectant too. Mix in water (can look online for right part to water ratio) and it too disapates into the air, even faster in direct sunlight.
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote