Old 12-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
A vote for mt bikes

I've been an active bike rider for around 35 years, and currently own a road bike, touring bike, a fixed suspension 29er mountain bike and a couple of mid 80's Rockhopper mountain bikes. I've brought bikes along on camping trips for nearly as long as I've been camping. I almost always take mountain bikes; one specific trip illustrates why.

My wife and I took our Airstream to Texas a couple of years ago, and brought our road bikes so we could do a week long supported tour of the Texas Hill Country with Adventure Cycling. We transported the bikes in the cap of our truck. We have a factory rack on the back of the Airstream, Yakima bars on our cap, and a rack that can go on the front hitch of our truck, but we prefer to put the bikes in the cap for long trips with variable weather.

After the Texas tour, we continued towing the Airstream to the east coast, camping at various state parks and campgrounds along the way. The road bikes were fine on paved roads, but were poor choices on gravel or dirt roads and trails.

I've owned and ridden a lot of bikes, and my favorite "bring along" camping bike is a mountain bike. Road bikes are great on the road, hybrid bikes are good on the road, and decent on gravel/dirt. Mountain bikes work fine for most of our camping related road riding, and excel at any dirt exploring we want to do. My current mountain bike (Surly Ogre) is cro moly, with a fixed fork and rear. It is quite comfortable on or off the road, and equally happy with a rack for groceries.

If you couldn't guess, I like bikes, and could go on an on. A good read for those of us who might shy away from lycra shorts (riders that Grant Pederson affectionately calls "Unracers") is "Just Ride" by Grant Pedersen. For me, I prefer standard shorts or loose pants, but will wear lycra when it is the best choice for a specific ride. I agree with the previous post: "Just get out there and ride."

ps- Someone recently commented about one of Ray Eklund's posts being too long. My 2 cts: There are times when I prefer to read short, concise ("Just the facts ma'am") posts. At those times I simply pass on the ones that are longer. However, other times I am in the mood for an in-depth, more reflective post. On those occasions, I enjoy reading Ray's posts and his insight. Please keep them coming...

Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
Biking with A Bambi

When we got our AS last year we decided our focus would be biking as many "rails to trails", or similar routes as possible - and it has been great. So far we have not left the Pacific NW but look forward to seeing, riding and camping elsewhere. These posts have spurred me on even more! 2016 - N Idaho, Montana, British Columbia, Utah...
We have touring/hybrid/commuting style bikes and carry them on the AS installed Fiamma rack. It is a nice & secure method though it does make it a bit challenging to access the rear storage locker but that is a small price to pay for our fun.

LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1994 28' Excella
Burkburnett , Texas
I have done a lot of bike tours in Colorado. mostly on pavement. One year we did one called the Dirt Ride. Almost all of the passes we went over were dirt. The worst was the pass from Leadville to the Diamond J at Meredith. You can call this one Rock Bike Docking. And the pass was Hagerman pass.

Also never ride a bike down into the Grand Canyon unless you want to go to jail.
paulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:42 PM   #18
Kensington , Maryland
New to the forum and reading alot in anticipation of purchasing an AS 19' for Bikedocking No kidding, I'm planning on a number of destination trips. I'll drive to State Park Campgrounds, setup shop and use that for multi-day out and back riding. Looking forward to this. Tent camping after a long day of riding is not always my first choice!
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Well, we are no lycra wearing, advertising shirt wearing, bicycle aficionados, but have been taking a couple of 25 year old, (250 dollar when new) mountain bikes, with us on every RV trip that we have made over the years, and despite our advancing years, continue to enjoy them very much.

Had virtually no problem with them in all these years and the great thing about such old bikes is that I stick 'em out front of the truck and don't care how mucky or rusty they get on the trip - just clean them up with WD-40 when we arrive!

If they get stolen ..... "Meh!"

We've sure had our money's worth out of them, sometimes just to ride up to the campground washroom or office, or to tour around the RVpark and look at other folks RV's.

Other times to ride trails, or even in smaller towns for ease of parking wherever we fancy to stop to look in an antiques mall or other point of interest.

Probably we never do more than maybe 50 - 60 km on a day's ride at most.

As long as we have enough strength and coordination to be moderately safe on them, we'll be taking them - in fact I'd better get them out of the garden shed before they get snowed in so as to be ready to take them to Florida next month!

They sure have a lot of miles on them now - albeit mostly on the front of the truck!

I do recall once - at Pennwood Airstream park in Pa. as I recall - meeting a couple of guys at happy hour who invitedme to come on a Rail Trail ride with them next morning.

I probably had had too many gin and tonics to ask enough questions and gladly agreed to meet up with them.

When I did meet bright and early with my old clunker ready to roll, and me wearing sneakers, cut-off jeans and a tee shirt - there they were with all their full kit on with bikes that probably weighed about as much as one of my handgrips.

That was a challenging ride - but I managed to keep up better than I (and I would like to think they) expected. Next time I'll ask more questions though at a happy hour meet up!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Wrightstown , Wisconsin
New to the forum and Airstreaming as well... We have a 30' Classic on order and intend to be "Cyclists with an Airstream" as opposed to be "Airstreamers with bikes"! We are hoping to take both our fat bikes and our cyclocross bikes along, but are concerned with the space required for the fatties. As an alternate plan, we have 2 sets of wheels for our cross bikes- both road tires and knobbies, so we will have some options for gravel, road, and double track.
JVfromGrnBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
I don't bike without lycra shorts. I'm not out there to look good for anyone. Lycra shorts have good pads, and don't get caught on stuff (trees, saddles, etc).

Anyhows, I'm building out a 33' Streamline and an interior mod that I have already contemplated is: How to carry many bikes inside. Handlebar width is a concern.....door is narrow, and MTB bars keep getting wider.
1972 33' Streamline Emperor Crown Imperial
1949 30' Spartan Royal Mansion
2012 Nissan Armada
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:30 AM   #22
Kensington , Maryland
Well done Brian. Everythng is a out people
JV. Same here. Wife and I are Lifelong USCF and ultariders now reformed
JV If you are "in deep" as am I you might consider all wheels off and loosen bars for travel. The mechanics are dog simple once you practice a few times. My gig is one bike for everything short of technical mtn. Trails.

Our choice to get a 19 ultimately may change now that I am seeing the advantages of small toy haulers. The back storage area of these toy haulers can serve as a muck room and secure bike and gear placement.

The AS option in ,small units, are so much nicer quality I'm torn!
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
Godfrey , Illinois
I'm new to Airstreaming, with only one 2 week trip last year. Most of the time I kept thinking I wish I had my bike. The solution I came up with is I ordered 2 "Bike Friday's" . One for me and one for my wife. In their folded position, they should easily fit in the back of our Suburban.
Can't wait for next spring!
Relaytest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
I bike with and without lycra. I bike with and without jeans. I bike with and without shorts. I bike with and without river pants. I bike with and without whatever I wish to wear or not wear. I just bike. And I look damn good doing it. Even at 55. Years, not mph.
Dysfunctional Veteran- does not always play well with others. 22 a day is 22 TOO MANY. (this number recently revised to 23 a day )
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Originally Posted by Amsterdamer View Post
If you were at the Ice Man mountain bike race near Traverse City MI in November, you might have noticed my Airstream parked near the finish line.

Biking and aluminum abodes just go together.

Amsterdamer - Sorry we missed you in TC! If you ride next year we'll park with you at the finish. Maybe start a little informal rally...

"Don't let perfect be the enemy of better."
TCwheels is offline   Reply With Quote