Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Bighorn Mountains

Any suggestions for campsites in the Bighorn Mountains (west of Sheridan or Buffalo, WY)? We're looking for some dry camping with fairly easy access... hopefully with some stream fishing nearby. This will be our first time to the area, so we are not familiar with the roads/campgrounds at all.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Medicine Lodge State Archaeological Site

You will be surprised with this. Many years ago I worked trail crew in this area. Our camp was at Teepee Pole Flat. Clean water streams and lakes full of Grayling trout. Below Cloud Peak. Look it up and check comments. It snowed on our camp in August so be prepared.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Medicine Lodge looks very interesting... just the kind of place we like. Any thoughts about about campgrounds on the the east side of the Bighorns?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Big Horn Mountains!!! Check your brakes...

There are some pull outs when traveling east-west or west-east across from Sheridan, Wyoming to Buffalo, Wyoming. Just be looking ahead to find the gravel road to exit. The next biggest problem is to find a FLAT spot where you can set up the AS on the west approach (look for the pullout on your north side of the road just on top). At least it is cooler in the Big Horns than in the valley below. I recall on the east side there is a pullout just off the highway, on the south side, where a large grassy area surrounded by aspen and pine trees and rocks to climb around after setting camp. Hunters use the area in the Fall so if you have a dog, do not be surprised if they haul a leg or odd bones out of the brush. It is the better camping spot, flat and easy in and out, beautiful starlight at night.

The climb UP is an experience not to be forgotten and the braking/low gear down the Big Horns are one big, nasty experience if you are riding heavy and have an AS longer than 23 feet. Been there, done it twice and not interested to do it a third time. This is a black top paved road across the Big Horns, so you will have traction... to say something positive. But, if you are uncomfortable, or your passengers uncomfortable on a roller coaster ride... this is it.

I would love to hear how you faired on the cross over. I might be exaggerating some, but for the price of the climb the pullouts are limited for a comfortable trailer rockdocking site.

Added Fishing: Better west to Cody and Yellowstone for the colder water and more of it. DuBois has plenty of fishing for 5 inch to 15 inch trout, fly fishing. On top of the Big Horns I think any ponds would freeze to the bottom... and I doubt any stream would have room for a fish over 5 inches for lack of food.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Thanks, Ray. Decisions, decisions.... But it is guaranteed to be an adventure!
Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We've taken all three of those roads from east to west and back; not for the timid, especially alt. 14. Make sure the brakes and cooling system are in tip top shape. Beautifull country!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Gillette , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Medicine Lodge State Archaeological Site

You will be surprised with this. Many years ago I worked trail crew in this area. Our camp was at Teepee Pole Flat. Clean water streams and lakes full of Grayling trout. Below Cloud Peak. Look it up and check comments. It snowed on our camp in August so be prepared.
I've camped at Medicine Lodge for several years in a tent. The access roads into this wonderful lake area can be brutal! Talk to locals that have been there within the last few weeks and get the low down on the best route if you decide to go. I'm just not sure yet I would take my new AS in there. Just my 2 cents worth!
GAS_Wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1979 25' Tradewind
thermopolis , Wyoming
Medicine Lodge Creek

Medicine Lodge Creek is very nice and is accessed by a paved or very good gravel road. There is no lake however.

I think the previous message refers to Paint Rock lake which is pretty rough and I would not take an AS up there without scouting the road first. It can be rough.

John In Thermopolis, WY

PS If you need a place to camp here, I have hook ups. You would be welcome to tie up.
amoretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1979 25' Tradewind
thermopolis , Wyoming
The Big Horn River flows in fornt of the property and has very good trout fishing!!
amoretti is offline   Reply With Quote