Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
How I level:

I have a small T level mounted on my trailer tongue. When I pull into a spot I check it. Then I estimate where and how many blocks are needed I put them under a wheel and pull forward- done- most times. I had trouble once when there was a ditch where the wheels were so my estimate was quite different when pulled forward.

Quote:
Man, there is a product idea in here.
Yes, LevelGuide, infrared leveler with height report app. "your trailer needs one inch raise on left side! How's that?
Old 06-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Here's one. Looks like most people say it's garbage though!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0019KBVU8?vs=1
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Google is an amazing resource of information.
Not remote but has high reviews an several sites.

RV EZ Level - Camco 25505 - Levels - Camping World

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
NOT SURE ABOUT THIS.

Good Sam RV Club Member

*Offline*
Posted: 04/03/12 08:39pmLink**|**Print**|**Notify Moderatorthere's an app for that! really, it's true. i have a bubble level app for my iphone. if you have the same app on another iphone they can be set up to use one as the level and the other as the remote readout. works great! probably available for android devices too.*
Old 06-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Just wondering how it would work better then a regular leveler especially since you have to go in and out of the AS to dertermine if the AS is level..
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #46

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I use the Lynx Levelers and carry a couple sets of them. This allows me to create a fairly large landing pad to support the wheels. Some have noted that it is difficult with tandems but usually once I get the rear wheel of the tandem up on a block, there is sufficient room between the two wheels to add an additional block(s). One of the things I learned at a tire safety seminar was to totally support the foot print of the tread. If you don't, you can damage the tire.

To prevent rolling I also bought a couple of giant Lynx chock blocks that can either sit on bare ground or interlock on top of a Lynx Leveler block. These really work good.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #47

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I have this on our Airstream, and can see it out my rear-view, it's pretty hard to miss.

I have a very similar leveler on my Classic mounted just below the front window. Our dealer mounts these on all new trailers. It is interesting that each mark is equivalent to one Lynx Leveler block. That way I know exactly how many blocks to go up on. I found that if we are half a mark off, I only block one of the two wheels. So if I am 1 1/2 marks off, the front tandem tire gets two blocks and the back axle tandem gets one.

I originally checked the dealers calibration of the level by putting a round bubble level on the floor of the freezer. Technically you are leveling for the refrigerator anyway. I found that it was dead center when the outside level bubble was at the level mark.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #48
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I carry a selection of 10" pressure treat cut to five foot lengths. Not the thing for ease of use, but sturdy. My experience with plastic pads is that they don't last. Are worthless on soft ground. Will be forced away from jacks by flood water. Etc. Gave away the last set. Might be okay on a small trailer, but not for the ones I've had. I also use the wood to get both vehicles underway when traction gets compromised.

Check across door jamb and across tongue with a two foot level. I've had a number of the tongue mount types and they eventually break or cloud over. I don't know how long the type shown above lasts, but I'd want to be able to affix it or replace it without drilling on trailer body.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Troutdale , Oregon
I never thought to try this, but couldn't you place a bubble level in a place that was visible in the rear-view camera? With the Andersons, that should allow perfect leveling in one shot, with no help!
Spamcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:42 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Moderatorthere's an app for that! really, it's true. i have a bubble level app for my iphone. if you have the same app on another iphone they can be set up to use one as the level and the other as the remote readout. works great! probably available for android devices too.*
Geez, there really is an app for everything- almost

Quote:
I have a very similar leveler on my Classic mounted just below the front window. Our dealer mounts these on all new trailers. It is interesting that each mark is equivalent to one Lynx Leveler block. That way I know exactly how many blocks to go up on. I found that if we are half a mark off, I only block one of the two wheels. So if I am 1 1/2 marks off, the front tandem tire gets two blocks and the back axle tandem gets one.
SEE! That is what I mean. I learn something on here every time I look! As far as who uses what etc. that is good to hear as well. The product knowledge, justification and application provide excellent insight.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
All places I read on this subject say that doing one axel when you have two is a bad idea -

If you make that assumption the Lynx levelers become useless when leveling beyond a certain amount

If I did not make this assumption I probably would not have bought the Anderson's and

But with wife always with me inside when leveling and telling me when we are good - it will be a very easy

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
But with wife always with me inside when leveling and telling me when we are good - it will be a very easy
Cool! where does she stand in the trailer when leveling?

Yes I probably should throw a few more blocks and run the other wheel up too. I haven't had to do much leveling- about half the time. Other times it is a concrete pad at a fancy swanky resort campground!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:58 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
For those who are having trouble with the Lynx blocks sinking in soft ground, place them with the solid side down and the grid side up. That's what I do and it works great.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:10 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
There is a new camping app for the iPhone named Harry's Heavy Duty Camper Edition. It has a leveling feature which has a voice that tells you how much out of level you are, with updates as you change the degree of level. You place the phone on the floor or a table facing the front of the trailer.

Perhaps one could connect a Bluetooth headphone or speaker to the iPhone and listen to the app as they move on to their leveling device (wood, Lynx, Anderson, etc.). This solution only requires one phone.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Sounds like a solid option. No android version though.....
Old 06-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #56
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamcan View Post
I never thought to try this, but couldn't you place a bubble level in a place that was visible in the rear-view camera? With the Andersons, that should allow perfect leveling in one shot, with no help!
Exactly what I have and I can see how level I am laterally thru the rear view mirror. More often than not, I've been able to park in such a way that I haven't needed to use blocks or wood to raise one side or another. Front to back is easy with the Power lift. Camping world sells these bubble levels for about $30, they mount right under the front window.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
A lesson I just learned in my first use of Anderson's

With those using these levelers who also have a propride or Hensley hitch - once you level out and chock up - release brake into neutral and allow things to settle a bit then reapply the brake and unhitch

If you do not - you can risk a funny tension on the system making un- hitching a bit funky

I used the levelers for the first time last week and besides that snafu - loved the process!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Here is the situation I am having difficulty with:

In our new home, the place the trailer needs to be parked has about six inches of elevation difference with the road side high. This is less than desirable because emptying the holding tank completely seems to be impossible. If the curb side was high, I would just live with it.

I am using the lynx levelers, but can only achieve about 2/12 inches lift because of the distance between the two tires. I have decided that building some sort of drive-up ramp using 2x12s is probably going the be the only viable solution but would like to hear any other ideas. I would also like to see any more examples of home made ramps, along with tips about how to best construct them.

Thanks,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:03 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Any chance of pouring a 24" wide ramp for the low side with a level flat plateau for when the trailer is in the correct position (width would allow for randomness of precise placement of the tires....)?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
A lesson I just learned in my first use of Anderson's

With those using these levelers who also have a propride or Hensley hitch - once you level out and chock up - release brake into neutral and allow things to settle a bit then reapply the brake and unhitch

If you do not - you can risk a funny tension on the system making un- hitching a bit funky

I used the levelers for the first time last week and besides that snafu - loved the process!

This is true of any hitching system. I once had my SOB roll a bit and pop off the ball as I was raising the jack. Scared me more than anything, but i learned the "equilibrium" of parking and leveling on that day.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote