Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Yellowstone Yogi's

Some very good comments and advice as to bear control has already been offered. A pepper spray can, attached to your belt, will give you confidence in the event you encounter a bear that is not afraid of humans. A helpful hint: Read the instructions on how to point... and operate the pepper spray can! When your knees are shaking from your first bear experience, finding your car keys is an something to be filmed for America's Funniest Videos.

Want to attract bears... cook salmon on the outside grill and let the wind send out the message. In Yellowstone Park, the rangers are well aware of where the trouble bears are and they trap and remove them when trouble arises. Of course, some bears keep coming back and the park patrol will put them down. Again, a former people problem causing a bear problem... as said earlier.

Yellowstone RV parks are the safest place you can stay. Rockdocking in the deep woods is a bit more sophisticated and a camper understands the risks and knows how to be safe. Camping in the National Forests have their risks, but being prepared to prevent problems are more important for your safety. Many camp hosts will alert new arrivals to any bear problems. From dusk to dawn, they tend to be more active in the wild. These bear tend to keep their distance. You can tell the difference between Black/Brown bears and Grizzley by their scat. Black bear have many seeds and crushed acorns in their scat. Grizz' have the brass bells in their scat, that hikers wear into the forest... A joke, guys. This is the western camper's bear joke, not to be taken seriously.

Do not see any of those movies that have the bear attacking hikers and helicopters before you go to Yellowstone Park... My dad worked for the Montana Forest Service in the 1950's and it was not unusual for a bear to be pulling on the cabin's cellar doors trying to get a meal. Just stay calm, do not run away... but slowly back up. Climbing a tree does no good, as bear are good climbers as well. Always be aware of any footprints on the trail, overturned boulders (bear looking for large grubs and crickets, etc.) and bear scat on the trail. They MARK their territory.

I know this is a bit windy of a comment, but after living and camping in the deep forests of the West much of my life, the children survived, we survived, the dogs survived and we have seen plenty of bear. The closest calling of a bear was at home in Roxborough, Colorado where an adult bear was trying to get into the house in the middle of the night. Our Blue Heeler came out faster than I could in my underwear to investigate the racket and the bear disappeared into the scrub oak and into the woods. I must add... after we were grilling salmon a friend gave us from his Canadian fishing trip!
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'm sure Flagstaff residents have seen bears. People in cities and towns surrounded by forests have more and more bear encounters since they, or their neighbors, are not careful. You might be safer camping in Yellowstone because you are more aware of the proper things to do and the NP rangers keep the areas relatively safe.

We've hiked all over Colorado, tent camped many, many times (including at Yellowstone) and never seen a bear. Many years ago I was pretty careless about bears when camping, but had no mishaps. But, we've seen many bears driving around the west and in Canada. I suppose from our experience, you could assume it's more dangerous to drive.

As there are fewer and fewer hunters, there is more and more wildlife. Although local TV "news" makes is sound like disaster is around every corner, don't pay attention to those stories. They are just to scare people and pump up ratings. Take reasonable precautions and enjoy the backcountry.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Dillon , Montana
Go to Yellowstone

I live in bear country about 4 hours from Yellowstone. My advice: GO! The Park Service wants you to have a positive experience. Read and heed what they give you.

Lots of reading available on bear behavior. Remember that park bears and back country bears are two different things. I don't agree that climbing a tree does little good. Black bears climb well-grizzlies don't. I live in a grizzly corridor and I'd feel real good about being up a tree--except when I had to come down. Black bears climb well, but I've never heard a story about one of them coming up a tree after someone. I'm sure it's possible, but I don't think it is likely.

Anyway, pay attention to the Park Service suggestions and have a great time.
seeleylaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Where would you rather be—up a tree or on the ground facing a bear?

Of course, I'm like a grizzly when it comes to climbing trees.

Gene
Old 04-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I remember hearing once upon a time about how you tell a black bear from a grizzly---a black bear climbs up the tree after you, a grizzly takes hold of the tree and shakes it until you fall down.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Bear are the least of your worries...

I am sure you might have some reduced sensitivity about Bear Country now, but when you visit Yellowstone Park, be sure to ask some questions about Yellowstone itself.

It is still a very active geothermal hot spot and has the potential of blowing every bear in a hundred mile radius into the upper atmosphere. Ask the Park Ranger why the south end of Yellowstone Lake is becoming shallower... Ask them about the last time when Yellowstone sent a plume of ash that actually buried and suffocated rhinoceros in Eastern Nebraska in the not so distant geological past. Ask about what made the sediments to the east of Yellowstone Park in the high Wind River Mountains. Ask how close the magma is to the surface of Yellowstone. Yellowstone has the potential of burying thousands of square miles to the east and southeast of this active caldera sometime in the future and it is "when" that nobody can answer. I am in no hurry to see it, so I can be patient, living southeast of what will be some bad weather that year, for sure.

Now, after you receive answers for these questions, you will not be spending a moment worrying about bear! Maybe several good shovels could be more helpful.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Flyguy is probably headed to Florida by now to escape the volcano.

Gene
Old 04-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #28
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The debris should help offset global warming (if there is any). One should bear in mind that the earth is dynamic and well over 99% of the species that we know about that have ever lived have gone extinct. If the Yellowstone system goes up, one might just as well have front row seats.......

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I stay on the Yellowstone River just north of the Park for 4 or more months each year, normally from the beginning of June to early October, and am traipsing around the mountains there all summer long, as well as fishing in some of the hike-into places in the Park.

The ratio of Grizzly attacks on people compared to the number of people who visit the area each year is low -- I only know of 3 such attacks in our area in the fall of 2007 -- I haven't yet heard the statistics from this past year.

All of the information previously provided is good. However, I've found that the best way to insure your safety when visiting in our area is to always go with one or more people that you can outrun. I'm living proof of its effectiveness.

Oh, and afterwards send to these persons' relatives.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Ruther Glen , Virginia
I agree with Gene, try to go in the fall that is when we went and it was very nice and little crowds. I hear from my other friends that they wished they waited untill fall to go, due to the growds.
we did not camp so i can not help you there, but would love to go back and camp someday...it truly was a awsome place that everyone should see just once.
pictures dont do it justice
Dave
Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Wink " Oh the huge manatee of it al"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
----One should bear in mind .......
I almost missed that one Rodney
Dennis

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:15 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And if you get a chance, visit the Tetons and take a wildlife tour with the Teton Science School. They are doing wolf and bear adventures in Yellowstone I believe this year. Master's level wildlife folks, extremely knowledgeable about where the animals are, their habits, have safari-type vehicles and can tell you all about everything in the parks. We saw moose, elk, lots of bison, a black bear and a BLACK WOLF!! An amazing experience for we mid-westerners! Have a wonderful trip.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #33
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by denellen View Post
I almost missed that one Rodney
Dennis

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #34
TGK
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Bear Country

My wife and I visited Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons in the fall of '07, spending a week in each park. It was fantastic trip and we saw lots of wildlife including wolves, bears, mountain goats, bison, coyote, elk, fox, moose. We camped in a variety of Campground while there and never had any encounters in the campgrounds because the park staff has done a good job of policing them for proper etiquette. The animals are no longer associating the campgrounds as a place to find food like they did years ago. Having said that, we always slept with our doors and windows closed at night. This was not a problem as it did not get hot during the last two weeks of September.

We saw all the sites and took several day hikes. We went out at dawn and dusk in our truck to cruise some of the roads in Yellowstone and saw a great deal of wildlife. We saw grizzlies 5 times, black bears 3 times and watched wolves on 5 different occassions. The wolves were actually the easiest to find as we focused on the Lamar Valley road and would pull over when we was the wolf groupies and biologists stopped on the road side. They were happy to point them out immediately. You will need good binoculars and, better yet, a spotting scope to see them as they are not close up. There is usually a group of "watchers" pulled over who are easy to spot. One evening, we saw a group of 7 wolves lounging in the field with a two pups. To the right, we saw a heard of bison and then watched a grizzly emerge from the woods out into the valley. The sun set so headed back to camp. We went back to the same spot on the road the next morning only to find everyone watching Coyotes and ravens feeding on the remains of a dead grizzly. The wolves had already taken their turn and left. At that point, no one knew how the bear died. While a group of bison have the potential to injure or kill a grizzly, it was most likely taken down by another bear. Quite a dynamic place.

We enjoyed camping the most in some of the 2nd tier, more primitive campgrounds up near the Lamar Valley. They are small and have no hookups and generators are not allowed. If you can deal with that, you should have no problem. Since it got quite cool at night (near freezing), we brought a portable catalytic propane heater to avoid running the trailer battery down with the furnace. We turned it off at night. We spent one night at Fishing Bridge campground on the north end of Yellowstone Lake. It is the only campground in the park with hookups. We did not care for it at all, as we were shoehorned into very tight spots. Only good if you plan on spending all your time in your Airstream. You can use generators at the other larger campgrounds within the park during posted hours. The park is very large and, if you camp outside the park, you will spend more time driving.

Grand Teton National Park, just south of Yellowstone had more spectacular mountain scenery and that is where we saw the moose and fox as well as a lot of elk.

Have a great trip.
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Flyguy, If you are confronted by a bear DO NOT run, climb a tree of try to fight the bear he can do all these things faster and better than you can.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:47 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
TGK,

Thanks for all that wonderful information. We made a rather whirlwind run through that area last year, intend to return in 2010 for a more leisurely exploration. Sounds like you can see a lot of wildlife without the $$, we will give that a try. Super-greenhorns in many areas, here----still lots to learn.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:52 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Meals on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I have to add here that I saw a story on the Today show last year about a little boy aggressively attacked by a black bear on a hike in the Smoky Mtns with his parents. He had been afraid to hike, for fear of bears, his parents made him go, he got attacked by a bear. I'm sure his parents will never hear the end of that. A true story. I refuse to hike in the woods----maybe I'm a scaredy cat, but we stick to bike riding on hard surfaces.
Bears do not like to be surprised by bicycles. And yes, you are a scaredy cat. That said, I would pick shark attack over big mean stinky grizzly. Mountain Lions are acquiring a taste for Mt. bikers as of late.

I Must buy a faster bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bikes 001.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	80125  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
We go to the Tetons each summer. And drive up into yellowstone. We like the campsites in the north Tentons better, trees and big. they also have bears but it 3 strikes and there out (dead) there. kind of sad. I would get yourself a can of bear pepper spray, I'm sure someone has mentioned it, and it works on people too. Good luck.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
"
Bears do not like to be surprised by bicycles. And yes, you are a scaredy cat. That said, I would pick shark attack over big mean stinky grizzly. Mountain Lions are acquiring a taste for Mt. bikers as of late.

I Must buy a faster bike. "

Funny. Grizzly bears, black bears, mountain lions----not interested in encountering any of those large-toothed critters, other than from the safe inside of a vehicle. 3 Grizzly attacks in one fall seems like a lot to me. Scaredy cat, okay, it is just self-preservation in my opinion. Could have something to do with the coumadin I take. We don't bike mountain trails (we're 60), we like paved campgrounds, quiet roads, etc. We'll leave the deep woods stuff to younger, braver bikers and hikers.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
A few years ago, while trying to enjoy Glacier NP in Montana a group of nutty people got it into their heads that they needed to make a lot of noise all the time in the campground to let the bears know where were there. They used bells and rang them constantly while walking around.
I don't know if it worked on the bears, but after a few hours of that, I was out of there and searching for quiet and solitude myself.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote