Old 07-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Originally Posted by Dorothy
Also, I forgot the add about the ferries: I LOVE the reservation system!!!! You pay an extra $15 online to "reserve" a spot. Then you are guarunteed a spot on the sailing you want. I just say this because on some weekends the ferries get REALLY backed up, and you end up with four sailing waits and you are sitting in the terminal for 8 hours out of your day......and who wants to do that while they are on vacation!!!! My dad said one time that you can't put a price on your time, and I think the extra $15.00 is worth not have to wait eight extra hours!!!
I couldn't agree more! I use the ferry at least once every two weeks and depend upon the reservation system. Sadly, since one of the Class C boats crapped out, reservations fill up weeks in advance.

Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #16

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia

Nice pictures - and yes, we are as jealous as your poor dog was. Yes, the parks were in the interior - Boya and Kinaskin are on the Cassiar Highway, and Muncho is on the Alaska Hwy.

We're going to visit your lovely Vancouver, one of these days.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1973 27' Overlander
Gabriola , BC
I love the forestry campgrounds. Even though most of them are unserviced, they are usually much quieter, prettier, and more private than the government or privately owned ones. You can often find spots right beside the water, and you can also take dogs on the beach which a lot of other campgrounds don't allow. My favorites on Vancouver Island are Campbell Lake, Great Central Lake, and Lake Cowichan.
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Well i just bought a new airstream so can't comment much on it but i can comment on BC Forest Service campsites !!
For the past 18 years i have been extensively fishing BC from Merrit through Kamloops,through the Cariboo,and Chilcoltin areas fishing some 100 or so lakes. I have stayed in just about every Forest Service campsite throughout this area, so if anyone has any ?'s about any site (trailer acess,etc) don't hesitate to ask . If i can't answer it one of my BC friends probably can.
flyfishfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #19
Rosie the Riveted
1975 27' Overlander
Balfour , BC
There is an excellent book that has just been published called "Camp Free in BC" by Kathy and Craig Copeland, aailable at most bookstores and at Amazon. It's a great resource for Forest Service sites and others that may charge a fee in peak season but are free otherwise. Very detailed instructions on how to get there, what is available, whether suitable for trailering, whether you need a high clearance vehicle and so on. We have found some fantastic free spots in this book. The same authors have other good guides including hiking in BC and the Moab area. Here is the authors' website:
Craig & Kathy have hiked many of the world's mountains and canyons
Ken & Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #20
1989 29' Excella
Kelowna , British Columbia
3 site's come to mind in the BC interior...

Noisey creek FS Campground
approx 25km of gravel and one steeep hill climb down to the shoreline of mable lake but one of the nicest mid-week camp sites on mable lake you will wake up to unmolested views of wild shoreline as far as your eye can see with some awsome sport fishing, no hookup's and i wouldent drag anything more then 26' long there but have seen 36'+ 5th wheels down there.

Frog Fall's FS Campground
approx 5km south of 3 valley gap hotel turn down the "wap lake FSR" 5km you will see the sign, very private site with little to no use year round backing onto a beautiful creek with a large waterfall approx 20min hike upstream. no trailers over 20' will make it into the campground but lot's of parking at the entrance of the site for larger unit's.

Herald's Park
BC Park's maintained site, load's of info online about it... located approx 30min from Salmonarm on the back side of Shuswap Lake easily accesable by the biggest trailers and i believe they have hookup's on site... Margret Fall's are a nice 20min hike from the campground's and the water there is about the cleanest you will find for swimming on shuswap lake.

I live in Kelowna and know a massive area of the north Shuswap and travel it on a regular basis so if anyone wants info on out of the way spot's drop me a PM

Hotwheels81 is offline   Reply With Quote