Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Banff and Jasper

We are leaving the end of June with the kids for a trip up to Glacier-Waterton, Banff and Jasper National Parks then over to Vancouver and down to Olympic National Park. I was hoping that someone might have some recommendations for campgrounds, scenic beauty is our primary objective.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

FYI-Our vehicle is 5.7L Tundra with 25' Safari.
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Well I have been to all of these areas! I grew up in Spokane Washington... So I call BC my back yard. I am also a National Park Junkie!
You have some choices to make!
As for Glacier, I am in two hobbies (both side businesses) Airstreams, and Parkitecture (the old National Park Lodges 1905 to 1929) Glacier has some of the best lodges and if you go to all of the lodges you have gone to all of the best places by road that you can! My favorite two places in Glacier is the "Highway to the Sun" The park service keeps warning they are going to close it but a must drive! There are no trailers in the peak of the summer time so it will have to be a day trip! The best camp site is the only camp ground close to McDowel Lake Lodge (a must place for lunch or dinner!) So the park is divided in two two sides the east and the west with the "highway to the sun" connecting them from the north and highway 2 connecting them from the south... If your going to waterton then the east side would be your best bet to camp and go west for day trips... As far as the drive, I find the drive from east portal to waterton amazing... (do take all the side trips they are well worth it and most do not take them)... A great way to drive around is the uses of the "red jammers" they are great with the roof off!
More info to come need to go!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Dear Vinstream,
Being from Washington state how does Olympic NP compare to Glacier, Banff and Jasper NP's? We are trying to decide on how to allocate our time between these parks with possible visits to Vancouver and/or Victoria. We have 5-6 weeks total time (driving from Arkansas). Thanks for the help on Glacier!
Greg
Old 06-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
There is some great camping in Kananaskis, just outside of Banff. You can use the camp ground as your home base and then set out for a multitude of day trips. There's great hiking and mountain biking. I spent many weekends here in my old VW Westfalia.

Welcome to Kananaskis Country

Jasper is further north and I've not been there for years. There is some great camping in the Provincial Parks, if I recall.

I'm more familiar with the Vancouver area now, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Enjoy your trip!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Cameron,
Thanks for the suggestion on Kananaskis, I will check into it. How is the drive from Banff to Vancouver? Any issues pulling a trailer?
Thanks again,
Greg
Old 06-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
I spent many weekends here in my old VW Westfalia.
Cameron,
I have spent 30 years camping in my old VW Westfalia...still have it. We honeymooned in it 26 years ago. It is a '67 Westy and is my daily driver from March thru November. GREAT vehicles.
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Our first long trip (6000) miles was up to Banff and Jasper via the Idaho panhandle. Stay in the provincial parks if possible. Great scenery and nice pricing. Jasper will have both full hookups on down. DO MAKE RESERVATIONS! We thought that since we went up early in the season (June) we would be OK just winging it. Wrong.

When in Jasper, make sure you get up to Lake Maligne and Spirit Island. Unbelievable scenery (you will have to take a boat ride. Hiking and day trips are spectacular. Banff is next on the route as our favorite spot but make sure to stop and spend some time at the Athabasca glacier and take the special busses to the head of the glacier.

After Jasper and Banff, Glacier NP and Yellowstone were fabulous, but not as enjoyable as our Alberta time.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Dear Altamont,
Thanks for the ideas we look forward to exploring them.
Greg
Old 06-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Greg---You've already received great advise on Glacier. For pure majestic scenery, the Banff to Jasper park highway can't be touched. A couple of Lakes near Lake Louise are outstanding. Emerald Lake near the town of Field, a few miles Noth of Louise in particular. Be sure to visit the ice fields at Columbia and Athabasca Glacier. The highways are fine in Canada. No issues with trailering. Vancouver Island and Victoria are must sees. Have tea in the grand old hotel down at the harbor in Victoria.

Olympic Nat'l park is worth a couple of days less than you should spend in the Canadian Parks. Hurricane ridge on the North side gives spectacular views into the interior of the park. Drop down the west side and go into the rain forest near the town of Quinault. Great Camping on the lake. Another variation on natural beauty is the Oregon coast at the Columbia River and then south. Many state parks for camping. If you are allocating a week on the west coast, I'd split it between Olympic Nat'l Park and the Oregon coast. The Washington coast is not readily accessible like it is south of the Columbia River. Then head towards home when you run out of time. The redwoods on the Oregon/Calif border are spectacular. This would put you near I 80 which takes you thru Lake Tahoe/Reno/Salt Lake City and then home.

You'll have a great trip, no matter where your camp for the night. Then you can report back on some of your favorites.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Bob,
Thanks for all the great advice. If I understand you would spend more time in the Glacier, Banff and Jasper and less time in Olympic/Oregon coast. If you had 21 days (not including travel time) to allocate to these 4 areas do you have any thoughts on how many days you would give to each? I am traveling with my wife and 2 daughters they are excited about tea time in Victoria.
Thanks again,
Greg

I have attached a few shot from out trip out west last year

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m55/greghaag/CA1.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m55/greghaag/CA2.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...ghaag/CA6a.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...ghaag/CA5a.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...ghaag/CA3a.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m55/greghaag/CA3.jpg
Old 06-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Sorry, I forgot I had deleted a few of the images already.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m55/greghaag/CA1.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m55/greghaag/CA2.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m55/greghaag/CA3.jpg
Old 06-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag
Cameron,
Thanks for the suggestion on Kananaskis, I will check into it. How is the drive from Banff to Vancouver? Any issues pulling a trailer?
Thanks again,
Greg
The drive from Banff to Vancouver is easy. There are a few passes you'll have to climb and descend but the trip is quite enjoyable with plenty of opportunity to stop at points of interest. From Vancouver you can hop a ferry and head over to Vancouver Island, which is a great place to visit with your trailer. From there, you can catch a ferry to Washington and head South.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne
Cameron,
I have spent 30 years camping in my old VW Westfalia...still have it. We honeymooned in it 26 years ago. It is a '67 Westy and is my daily driver from March thru November. GREAT vehicles.
Tom
Mine was a 1978 and I really enjoyed it, especially the 2 litre engine through the Rocky Mountains! I sold it it because it became too much of a pain to drive in city traffic and my dog could never relax riding in it. Too noisy and smelly for him, I guess.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Greg---I'm getting excited about your trip, and rethinking our own trip plans from the Bozeman Rally and then Glacier Park across to our summer home on the Oregon Coast.

Time allocation comes down to personal preferences. The Canadian Rockies are at the top of my list of Natures Beauty Spots. Looking at your pictures, it looks like you have already sampled some California coast? Maybe the central coast near San Luis Obispo?

After the Ferry ride from Victoria to Washington state, reservations are recommended, Hurricane Ridge is a rest point on the drive around to the rain forest. Camp on Lake Quinault for a night or two, then overnight around Cannon Beach just south of Astoria, Oregon. Take in Fort Clatsop, an excellent living history National Momument at the end of the Lewis & Clark trail at the mouth of the Columbia River. Then a day drive down the coast. Washington/Oregon could be 4 nights of the 21. Something like that.

Our summer home is on the ocean about 100 miles south of the Columbia River. If you are looking for a place to camp overnight, send me a PM. Have a great vacation---Bob
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
GHaag, I noticed something the locals didn't note for ya: It gets COLD up there. In June.
Saw my first grizzly bear while tenting at a campground in Jasper, it was dumpster diving. Then it knocked over another tent.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Cold in June? That's not cold! Come up here in February...now that's cold!
Old 06-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Thanks

Bob/Cameron/NevadoGeo,
Thanks for the great information and the reminder to be prepared for a wide range of temperatures. We are excited about getting on the road and having the time together, wherever we go, there are so many amazing things to see.
Thanks again for all of the great ideas!
Greg
Old 06-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #18
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Waterton Lakes

Good news is that you don't have to wait until you get to Victoria to get tea served.

The Prince of Wales should fill the bill.

As to time allocation, I wouldn't know how to decide. Kananaskis, Banff-Jasper (Lake Louise, Icefields Parkway, dot-dot-dot). Can you go to Vancouver next year?

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0012.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	61607  
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote