Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Balsam Mountain Campground GSM NP

Has anyone stayed at Balsam Mountain Campground (Great Smoky Mountains National Park)? If so, please share your experience.

Specifically, how difficult is the drive from Cherokee, NC to the campground? Also, was your experience pleasant?

I'm planning to spend Father's Day week at Balsam ... we are pursuing cooler weather and a quiet boondock. Balsam's elevation is @ 5310 feet. I'm not finding much information or feedback searching the web ... I guess that reaffirms that the place will be quiet. However, I'd love to hear more about Balsam if any of you have been. The picture below is represented as being from the campground. Thank you in advance for any info.

BTW, yes, I searched the forum for information on Balsam ... I apologize in advance if I've missed information in another thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	great-smoky-mountains.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	131755  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BalsamMountain2.pdf (59.8 KB, 75 views)
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Not sure if we have stayed there or not... can't remember. We have traveled to around Maggie Valley (NC), and have camped at Elkmont, which is a gorgeous campground in the Smokies near Gatlinburg. I'm sure you will be fine, although some of the roads can be a bit steep and a little windy. Great area, nice and cool. Catch the synchronized fire flies!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
These two shots were taken at Elkmont...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8373.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	131805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8384.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	131806  

2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
My kids would be on cloud nine if they saw a bear climbing a tree and two on the ground like the ones in your picture!

We've stayed in Cades Cove multiple times (with the billion majestic fireflies) but my wife and I are really wanting some cool air and quiet. I was thinking Balsam Mountain because it is the highest elevation and is generator free.

BTW, your picture of that stream in Elkmont looks like something the kids would love.

It looks like we drive through the Cherokee Indian Reservation and then off onto a smaller and less travelled road to get to Balsam. Hopefully the road isn't too treacherous.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #5

1967 24' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Lakeland , Florida
Im sorry, this is probly to late. But for what its worth I have spent a lot of time in that area during the summer camping with my grandparents. Now as adults my wife and me try to take the kids there as much as we can.

As far as the campgrounds go we found Balsam nice and secluded but there is not much for the kids and its warmer there than Smoke Mount. Elk Mount ia very semaler to Balsam as far as we are concern, nice but harder to keep the kids happy.

Are favorite's are Smoke mount and Cads Cove. In that order. Cads Cove has the Loop,nice genarle store, horse back ride, plenty of wild life and has a lot of camp sites.

Smoke Mount dose not see as much wild life, has fewer number of camp site, no store, but it has the river that runs thru it and most of the time its high enough to tube down, specially after a ran. I have spent many of hour tubing in that river and have watched my children do the same. There is a lot to do around the Smoke Mount area, ten minuets from Cherokee, the parkway, great fishing area, trails, swimming holes, and don't blow off the welcoming center between Cherokee and Smoke Mount, that is the only place we have seen the Elk crossing and feeding out in the pasture and there is a great swimming area down the trail behind the old pig pen.

There is a road called Balsam Mtn Rd. You take it out of the Balsam camp and it one way down the mountain where you will come out behind the fish hatchery between Smoke mount and Cherokee. Its not just for any vehicle, but worth the trip. Take a lunch and swimming gear, there are a lot of places to play in the water or hike from.
mallet2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Thanks Mallet.. We are in route now. We took the scenic rout through Tellico Plains and stopped off near Indian Boundary to break the trip. What's drawing us to Balsam is 5300' elevation, 20 degree temp difference from Alabama and quiet (it's a no hookup, no generator campground). Based on both of your recommendation above, we'll definitely try to get over to see what Smokemont is like and check it out. BTW, we frequent Cades Cove and love it ... but we are in pursuit of the lowest temps possible this week.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
For anyone who might care to know, our intended destination, Balsam Mountain Campground in the GSM National Park, pales in comparison to the Cherokee owned Mile High Campground 7 miles down the road ... it's on the Cherokee Indian Reservation, $20 per night, 5400' elevation, and views like nowhere else in the Smokies. Here's a pic out our window ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-91222822.png
Views:	228
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	133005  
Old 06-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
For anyone who might care to know, our intended destination, Balsam Mountain Campground in the GSM National Park, pales in comparison to the Cherokee owned Mile High Campground 7 miles down the road ... it's on the Cherokee Indian Reservation, $20 per night, 5400' elevation, and views like nowhere else in the Smokies. Here's a pic out our window ...
Nice. Thanks for sharing.

-Chris
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Love it! Never heard of it, but will definitely check out next time!

Old 06-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #10

1967 24' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Lakeland , Florida
That's a great find. thanks for the heads up! Did you get to see any elk? We are not going to get to go this year and I'm am so depressed about it. I found there web sit but couldn't tell if the offer any hook ups?
mallet2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallet2442
That's a great find. thanks for the heads up! Did you get to see any elk? We are not going to get to go this year and I'm am so depressed about it. I found there web sit but couldn't tell if the offer any hook ups?
No hookups. They have hot showers if you need to conserve water. Trust me... when you get to this place, you won't care about hookups. Cool/cold air and amazing sunrises and sunsets ... made the s'mores taste better. Yes, lots of Elk and Turkeys.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
No hookups. They have hot showers if you need to conserve water. Trust me... when you get to this place, you won't care about hookups. Cool/cold air and amazing sunrises and sunsets ... made the s'mores taste better. Yes, lots of Elk and Turkeys.
Wondering how your rig made it through the roads to this camp. Any information you could share would be great! I've spent many summers camping along the Blue Ridge Parkway, but would really love to find some place even more remote. Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw

Wondering how your rig made it through the roads to this camp. Any information you could share would be great! I've spent many summers camping along the Blue Ridge Parkway, but would really love to find some place even more remote. Thanks, Derek
Mile High Campground is on your left about seven miles before the entrance to Balsam Mountain Campground in GSM NP. If you can drive the Blue Ridge, you can get to Mile High. You can always call the hosts, they were nice people and answered my questions in advance of visiting. Here's the link to their site: http://www.campmilehigh.com/Milehigh.com/Index.html
Old 08-19-2011, 05:19 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
That looks like a wonderful getaway...we have land in NC and hope to spend more time there when we retire in a few years. This is now on our list of places to check out thanks to you and the forum. What a resource we all have here!
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Mile High Campground is on your left about seven miles before the entrance to Balsam Mountain Campground in GSM NP. If you can drive the Blue Ridge, you can get to Mile High. You can always call the hosts, they were nice people and answered my questions in advance of visiting. Here's the link to their site: Index
To be honest, all of my camping on the BRP was in a small pop-up camper, 20 years ago. I've read through the Max RV length for Balsam, and the Airstream motorhome I plan on purchasing will be too long for Balsam. As this rig will ultimately be my 'mobile retirement villa' it's too late to be looking for something smaller, lol. Maybe I'll get to Balsam and see what's available. Thanks
Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw

To be honest, all of my camping on the BRP was in a small pop-up camper, 20 years ago. I've read through the Max RV length for Balsam, and the Airstream motorhome I plan on purchasing will be too long for Balsam. As this rig will ultimately be my 'mobile retirement villa' it's too late to be looking for something smaller, lol. Maybe I'll get to Balsam and see what's available. Thanks
I do not recommend Balsam (the GSM NP campground) because there are no views and the sites are not private. At Mile High (7 miles before Balsam), you could fit a Provost on Site 18A (where we stayed last). If you call the hosts, I expect they'll answer any questions or concerns you might have about sites that accommodate your Airstream.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
One of my favorites in this area has been Mount Pisgah Campground on the BR Parkway. Been there twice this season. In July it was in the upper 70's for afternoon highs and low 60's in the morning.
I'm going to be up that way again next week looking for some 70's, so I think I will try Mile High. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks for both recommendations. I fell in love with BRP years ago, will try both next summer for sure.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:16 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn
One of my favorites in this area has been Mount Pisgah Campground on the BR Parkway. Been there twice this season. In July it was in the upper 70's for afternoon highs and low 60's in the morning.
I'm going to be up that way again next week looking for some 70's, so I think I will try Mile High. Thanks for the tip!
Likewise, thank you for the info on Mount Pisgah ... we haven't been there. Keep in mind that Mile High is all about pleasant temperatures and amazing views ... no hookups, playgrounds, or fancy amenities. It's a simple place, but we loved it.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
simple is what I'm all about. When I camped BRP, I was in a very small pop-up camper. 2-burner stove, and icebox, that's all the 'amenities' it had. We made do with it as well, even with a 48 degree night in July, which I believe was in the Mount Pisgah campground if memory serves. Can't wait to get back to BRP in the Airstream. This will definitely be a different camping experience from the pop-up, but also about 24 years later, so I think I'll be ready for a little bit more pampering....