Old 08-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
Mile High Campground is on your left about seven miles before the entrance to Balsam Mountain Campground in GSM NP. If you can drive the Blue Ridge, you can get to Mile High. You can always call the hosts, they were nice people and answered my questions in advance of visiting. Here's the link to their site: Index
To be honest, all of my camping on the BRP was in a small pop-up camper, 20 years ago. I've read through the Max RV length for Balsam, and the Airstream motorhome I plan on purchasing will be too long for Balsam. As this rig will ultimately be my 'mobile retirement villa' it's too late to be looking for something smaller, lol. Maybe I'll get to Balsam and see what's available. Thanks

Old 08-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw

To be honest, all of my camping on the BRP was in a small pop-up camper, 20 years ago. I've read through the Max RV length for Balsam, and the Airstream motorhome I plan on purchasing will be too long for Balsam. As this rig will ultimately be my 'mobile retirement villa' it's too late to be looking for something smaller, lol. Maybe I'll get to Balsam and see what's available. Thanks
I do not recommend Balsam (the GSM NP campground) because there are no views and the sites are not private. At Mile High (7 miles before Balsam), you could fit a Provost on Site 18A (where we stayed last). If you call the hosts, I expect they'll answer any questions or concerns you might have about sites that accommodate your Airstream.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
One of my favorites in this area has been Mount Pisgah Campground on the BR Parkway. Been there twice this season. In July it was in the upper 70's for afternoon highs and low 60's in the morning.
I'm going to be up that way again next week looking for some 70's, so I think I will try Mile High. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks for both recommendations. I fell in love with BRP years ago, will try both next summer for sure.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn
One of my favorites in this area has been Mount Pisgah Campground on the BR Parkway. Been there twice this season. In July it was in the upper 70's for afternoon highs and low 60's in the morning.
I'm going to be up that way again next week looking for some 70's, so I think I will try Mile High. Thanks for the tip!
Likewise, thank you for the info on Mount Pisgah ... we haven't been there. Keep in mind that Mile High is all about pleasant temperatures and amazing views ... no hookups, playgrounds, or fancy amenities. It's a simple place, but we loved it.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
simple is what I'm all about. When I camped BRP, I was in a very small pop-up camper. 2-burner stove, and icebox, that's all the 'amenities' it had. We made do with it as well, even with a 48 degree night in July, which I believe was in the Mount Pisgah campground if memory serves. Can't wait to get back to BRP in the Airstream. This will definitely be a different camping experience from the pop-up, but also about 24 years later, so I think I'll be ready for a little bit more pampering....