1967 24' Tradewind
Telluride , Colorado
Sounds like fun

purdiferis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari SE
METAIRIE , Louisiana
Sorry to add a comment so long after the thread started, but just joined the forum yesterday. I entered Baja October 2011, and left June 2012. Spent my time between Loreto and Cabo, did a lot of 4WD back country driving and exploring, and lots of sailing and kayaking. Southern Baja is safer than most U.S. cities. [I will explore Northern Baja this trip.] Friendly people, efficient military, helpful officials. I am packing my recently purchased Safari for travel to Baja for this winter.

The advice to begin to learn the language is worth heeding. It demonstrates respect, and interest. Baja residents are very proud of their country, and their heritage. Watch the DVD "Heart of the Vaqueros". It shows the lifestyle of many of the ranchers in the backcountry. Many of the towns have lectures on history, all the cities do. La Paz, where I spent a lot of time, has natural history and cultural lectures in English, Spanish, and French. Free.

Any other people interested in Baja this winter? I could use advice on crossing points with the AS. I have never towed a trailer to Baja.

DBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Box Elder , South Dakota
Baja ?

Sorry for such a late post on this subject, but if there still is some interest in Baja MX I have experience in Baja Norte, especially Route 5 to San Felipe. Route 5 has been improved and is mostly wide and smooth with only a few narrow spots. There is only one military check point about 50k north of San Felipe and the military is very courteous and professional I have not heard of any thefts due to their inspections.
As of this writing there are 42 rigs at Pete's Camp a large beach front RV camping facility all members of SKP's and they are having a good time. In town about 5km away I know of 20 rigs mostly Canadians and some Americans who spend the winter in San Felipe and they are happy and content at Kiki's RV park. This is my second winter here and I have not heard of any violence against Americans or Canadians the last murder here was many years ago when an American murdered his wife. IMHO the media concentrates on the sensational because it sells. Here in San Felipe folks get along with only minor crimes involving property much safer than large cities in CA, AZ that border MX. As usual YMMV.
Do It Now... There might not be a later
Kayjulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master
We live in San Carlos, Sonora and go from there to Cabo San Lucas in our boat once a year, mooring in remote anchorages. Baja has spectacular scenery, no doubt about it. Get near the Tropic of Cancer (just north of La Paz) and it is warm.
We have taken various r.v.s to all but two of the Mexican states over the years and taken a Hi-Lo from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas and return. The Airstream has been to Mata Ortiz and to Mazatlan several times.
During countless trips on sea and land, we have never had an incident of violence or been robbed or hassled. Crimes to our property have been very minimal, but we are careful.
Some of the suggestions made in this thread have merit. We are very careful about using credit cards as our identity has been stolen. We pay in pesos for gas and watch the attendent carefully as some attendents will try petty fraud. (If the attempt is made on you, stay calm and reasonable, don't give in, insist on your change and ask for the effe). We speak basic Spanish and use it even though many people try to speak English. Driving at night is not a good idea. The road is narrow, rutted and curvy. We are careful with our property and don't leave anything of value out to steal when we leave our rig.
There is a network of campgrounds all the way down Baja. Often you can camp on the beach in a basic campground or boondock. Usually, someone will collect a small charge for camping even if there are no services. We prefer to stay where there are other people camping or moored. How often can you camp right on the beach in the U.S? Bring your kayaks. Often we catch dinner close to shore.
The border crossing is often confusing. Go with someone who has been before or make a dry run in the tow vehicle a day before crossing.
Baja is a good place in Mexico to go. It is desert so there is mimimal drug growing. Most of the smuggling takes place on the mainland. Your biggest risk is the road. It is a handful towing an Airstream. Drive slow and don't plan on more than a couple of hundred miles a day. If you have a spirit of adventure, you won't regret the trip.

handn is offline   Reply With Quote