Old 11-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Just get you a ceramic water filter. I have one for backpacking and long day hikes. You can drink water filtered from a stream. You can also boil water for 5 minutes right from a stream. If there are no sources of water then you have a problem. Showers are optional. Dogs can drink from a stream. They snack from the cat box, fifi will be fine. You can live a long time on water, mac and cheese, and raman noodles.

Perry

Old 11-26-2014, 01:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Many trips as a Boy Scout and as a scout leader. Drank water from safe sources in the wild. Downstream from a town would not be a good idea.

Best water was from a natural spring supplying a WPA built snow shelter cabin in the center of the Golden Trout Wilderness. Cold, sweet and clean. No signs of civilization beyond contrails. Gods country for sure. Joy.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
When we did our three weeks or so in 2013, roaming the Rocky Mountains, those more experienced with the rushing rivers we camped near said they were likely fine to drink from.....given the elevation.

We didn't, but did fill jugs for the dog and our solar showers, which were perfect for outdoor shampoos. Really helps stretch a tank of water.

Maggie
Old 11-26-2014, 07:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
As long as you are above where humans live and crap in the water then you are most likely safe.

Perry
Old 11-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Beaver also crap in the water. They spread giardia an intestinal disorder that you don't want to meet with. Pristine water notwithstanding, the journals of Lewis and Clark recount many cases of dysentery. Bad food or bad water, who's to say/ I'm betting bad water.
On a Boy Scout canoe trip in Algonquin Park we used a ceramic filter. The water was so crystal clear that you could still see bottom in 20 feet of water. After 2 days the filter was clogged and required a field strip and clean. I called the other leader and the boys over to see the 1/4" layer of green crud that had accumulated on the element. We were all amazed and glad the we didn't drink that pristine water without first filtering it.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
As a hydrologist spacializing in surface water and water quality, I would urge caution in consuming untreated surface water. Giardia has been found in almost every surface water in North America, pretty much anywhere there are mammals. As I recall, beavers and muscrats are major carriers. So if you're in an area where there might be beavers or muscrat, I'd be cautious. Giardia isn't likely to kill you, but it'll make you miserable for a while.

As Perry said, a ceramic water filter will save your bacon. I have little experince with the portable UV treatments. Of coarse, in an emergency, I'd drink whatever I could find, and deal with the consequences later.

Here's a link that'll tell you more than you'll ever want to know about giardia:
http://water.epa.gov/action/advisori..._giardiaha.pdf
Old 11-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You can also get iodine pills to treat water in an emergency. It is not something I would use all the time but I carry them on long hikes just in case I need water. The ceramic filter is not very big either. Giardia is hard to kill. It produces eggs that will come back if it is not treated with antibiotics ASAP. If you are in tropical areas, you also need to worry about viruses. The only way to kill them is to treat with iodine or bleach. There are filters out there that use iodine to kill the bugs then a carbon filter to filter out the iodine. Then there is the reverse osmosis filter. If you have fuel, boiling the water will kill the bad bugs.

The Sierra Club has backpacking classes that will teach you much of this.

Perry
Old 11-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I just purchased several ''SAYER Minis'' from amazon this month. They're around 20.00 a piece compared to 30.00 at Bass Pro. It can filter 100k gallons of water and filter out 99.9999 of bacteria including giardia. If your around a source of water your good. A great stocking stuffer that should last 25 yrs. at a gallon a day.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Great thread. I have been an avid back packer for 30 plus yaers and have been lucky, I have not contracted the dreaded (Beaver Fever/Giardia) yet. In the back country Good drinking water water is the one of the most important things you can not be without. I have boiled, used iodine tablets-YUK, chlorine tablets and most of the pumps on the market like Katadine, PUR, MSR and even the SteriPEN (UV Light) I have setteled on a company called "Sawyer" because of there unique filter technology and gravity water systems. We that use our trailers to get off the beaten path to base camp or just enjoy the solitude, have an issue with most of these methods to resupply our fresh water holding tanks. How do you get the treated water into the tank? Funnel pan after pan of boiled or treated water? Very problematic at best. That is why I love the Sawyer gravity system filters. I can fill a bag from any creak, stream, river, lake or puddle, elevate it above the filler on my trailer and put the output hose right into the filler for my fresh water tank. If you are going to be there a while you can rig a bucket or barrel as a reservoir and elevate it higher than your filler opening and use the filter and output hose from the new large capacity reservoir. This method also lets you do other things while your water filters it self. Win, win. My .02
Old 11-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
I just purchased several ''SAYER Minis'' from amazon this month. They're around 20.00 a piece compared to 30.00 at Bass Pro. It can filter 100k gallons of water and filter out 99.9999 of bacteria including giardia. If your around a source of water your good. A great stocking stuffer that should last 25 yrs. at a gallon a day.
MY bad math. Its 273 yrs at a gallon a day, or 27.3 yrs. at 10 gallons a day.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:07 PM   #25
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
This is a very opulent solution to the water issue....
I bought a food grade, 55 gallon poly tank as a water reserve. Whenever it is difficult to move to a fill source, I can have a 55 gallon reserve along with the 100 gallon tank on my 34"s. Well be boondocking in the desert this winter, I can take the drum to a fill station much easier than hitching and hauling the AS through a rugged or crowded place. I spent $25 on the plastic drum, half a cent on bleach for the first fill, and a few dollars on fittings and plumbing. I have also devised an old Aqua Jet pump to pressurize the AS directly from the tank, or to transfer water should gravity not be on my side.
Another 55 gallons is a heck of a luxury, but at the cost of some space and weight