Old 03-16-2016, 08:56 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
We have a community well with excellent tasting water so we fill our tank approximately 30% before leaving home for road use and back-up drinking and take enough one gallon store bought spring water jugs for drinking. We hook up campground water only for dishes, showers, etc because we have yet to find a campground water that is not heavily chlorinated and tastes accordingly. I guess they err on the side of caution and heavily dose their water to avoid any possibility of law suits.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
For those of you who are analytical... here is what you can purchase directly to test your or any water.

Water Testing Strips

I even see strips for testing for Bacteria in the water... but see a caveat as you must be a "qualified buyer". Means... you need to know what you are doing and no doubt licensed.

Again, someone who is in the Soft Water system or Well Water completion systems, do not be bashful... They can do much better than I ever could to explain all of this, but it is easy to find on the internet. Some tests are so basic you cannot hurt yourself. Others, like bacteria tests... are outside all of our capabilities.
In all of my water quality training, I had never heard of bacteria testing strips. You're right Ray. They're out there. You can order them on Amazon. I'm very skeptical though. I don't think I'll be using them. However, there are some alternative bacterial treatment options out there that may be worth looking at. Although, I never trust the word of anyone selling any water treatments without consulting available literature first. Many treatments are little more than "snake oil".

Old 03-17-2016, 03:42 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
You only need a tablespoon (15 ml) of 5.25% bleach to sterilize 40 gallons of water. That dilution gives you 5 ppm, plenty strong enough to flush your water tank and lines. Here are two good references:

Making drinking water safe with bleach:
http://modernsurvivalblog.com/health...e-with-bleach/

Bleach dilution calculator:
https://www.publichealthontario.ca/e...alculator.aspx
Old 03-17-2016, 08:08 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Sanford , North Carolina
I can't sympathize with the stale water problem yet. Need to get mine remodeled first. But we plan on using our Berkey water filter on any trip. It is the leader in portable water filter and we have not regretted buying it from the get go. Now all our kids have one in their houses after tasting our filtered water. It fits the decor and is easy to use.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We do not use our well to fill our as, we use city water , it has chlorine ,which kills any bacteria in it,some campgrounds with well water is treated if not we don't put it in our holding tank....our well water left in a water bucket for a wheel will start growing moss...
Old 03-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Chlorine versus Diarrhea

Water supplies in the USA are very dependable... Detroit, MI is an example.

I worked for a soft drink company for a short period of time. The bottling plant would use "city water" drawn from the Missouri River and processed by the City Water Department, treated and distributed to the thousands of homes.

The soft drink bottling plant ran the treated processed water, under high pressure through a filtering system to use afterwards for bottling soda. After seeing the "gunk and sludge" removed from the "processed city water"... it almost makes you want to be a soda or beer drinker for life.

Ah yes... City and Municipal water.

The Missouri and Mississippi River provide millions of US citizens with a fresh water supply. One city draws out water to "treat" and distribute. The sewage, effluent to be politically correct, is returned to be processed, treated and then dumped back into the Ole Missouri and Mississippi to be drawn into the next city water intake downstream, for fresh water to be... treated.

Having a "chlorine" aftertaste is really a true gift from water processing. Just remember that. The US Army had some tablets you would drop into a water container to do the same treatment, but in smaller doses. There could be worse things to complain about.

I have used a water filter for water going into our fresh water tank and then there is a filter under the sink for the drinking water. Keeps out silt, mud and maybe does filter out minerals... Makes me feel fuzzy and content.

We have been to places that we depended upon well water, often. Never had an issue in the Rocky Mountains. More issues with "bad food" at restaurants, than a water issue.

We use our trailer's fresh water primarily for drinking and food processing. When we are getting low, I have no issue topping off the tank at a western town or Forest Service campsite "upstream" from a BIG city like Buffalo, Wyoming... Some chlorine mix is a benefit, not something to complain about.

There is a "lithium spring water" tap in Manitou Springs, CO along the highway on the south side going through town. Coming out of a small pipe in a wall for drinking. It has been years ago, but this is wonderful water to drink. Another spring is located near Keystone ski area going over the pass where there are people lined up filling water jugs. Obviously something special as well... so the planet is not 100% polluted and killing people from water contamination. (Look it up on the internet.)

Just play it safe. Taste. Swish. Spit it out. Like a wine tester. Taste will cover most of the flavorings... but bacteria and microbes are more of an issue.

Snow... has a "seed" of dust or biological speck to grow upon. So eating that fresh white snow, could be a worse issue than chlorinated water.

There is so much to know and try to make sense. When in doubt... ask questions among those camped. Do not be embarrassed. If you come up with a bad case of diarrhea... you should have asked, first.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:39 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
I agree, some chlorine is good and necessary for safe potable water as in our treated community well, but too much chlorine or any chemical is not pleasant to taste, not complaining, just stating and sharing a personal preference and a way to avoid it.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
The soft drink bottling plant ran the treated processed water, under high pressure through a filtering system to use afterwards for bottling soda. After seeing the "gunk and sludge" removed from the "processed city water"... it almost makes you want to be a soda or beer drinker for life.

I think I would rather drink the sludge than the HFCS laced soda's.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you are from Flint MI, maybe you should think twice about using "city" water.

Otherwise, I use city water from the fresh water tank for anything except cooking and drinking. I bring along a 2.5 gallon plastic bottle of home water with a hand pump for cooking and drinking.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
If you are from Flint MI, maybe you should think twice about using "city" water.

Otherwise, I use city water from the fresh water tank for anything except cooking and drinking. I bring along a 2.5 gallon plastic bottle of home water with a hand pump for cooking and drinking.
There was actually nothing wrong with the water in Flint. The problem was that when they switched sources, they stopped adding corrosion inhibitors to the water. This caused lead from the pipes in the old houses to leach into the water.

So unless you've got old lead pipes in your Airstream, I wouldn't worry about that either.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
"Thalweg... So unless you've got old lead pipes in your Airstream, I wouldn't worry about that either."

I am more concerned about MY old pipes. Just what I need... "corrosion inhibitors". I thought that is what a good IPA Beer was for. My system is becoming more delicate every day. Now I have to read the warning labels on my drinking water. What's next? Having to wash our fresh non GMO vegetables from the market because of contamination....?