Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Arizona: Kartchner Caverns, AZ & Rock Hound State Park, NM

I am a geologist and defended the Rock Hound State Park from being turned into a botanical garden last year... without been there. This year we spent a day at this park, just east of Deming, New Mexico. I can sum it up quickly. FEW rocks for rock hounds and it SUCKS. Just avoid this place at all costs. The restrooms were filthy and after talking to a few people and doing some superficial scouting the area for agate... it still SUCKS. But, if you must. Find out for yourself that it SUCKS. I think the site charge, with electricity was $7, but I wanted to forget this place.

Now. Kartchner Cavern which is south of I-10 and east of Tucson. The camp sites were nice, clean and some are drive throughs. Plenty of AS's were also sighted here. Take one tour of the large cavern and you have seen what the caverns have to offer. They are far superior to Mammoth Caverns in Kentucky which are formed differently than these caverns... They are only a 5% of what Carlsbad Caverns have to offer, if you really, really want to experience a CAVERN and bats (when in season) by the thousands. But, this is another thread in the making if time permits. Carlsbad Caverns are out of the way... but spend TWO to THREE days exploring this fabulous hole in the ground, going first down in the elevator at the entrance offices and then the next day through the "natural entrance". Then fit in the time for... a morning to see the bats ARRIVE... and the evening to see the bats LEAVE... in season of course. White City at Carlsbad has a RV Park, but they are run down and a big disappointment... but you have the AS for shower and restrooms... We stayed there to avoid the long drive and wanted to catch the BATS!!!

Now back to Kartchner. Kartchener shows 62 campsites. It might have been $20 an evening, but I cannot find the paperwork. You can call 520-586-4100 for that information and reserve a site at the same time.

One day for a good tour. Two days for all you want to see of these caverns. They are billed as one of the top ten in the world, but if you have been to Carlsbad Caverns... it is like comparing a mud puddle to a lake. But... go here first and then to Carlsbad. Then you will get the idea. At Carlsbad you can take one of numerous "side tours" which you pay extra for, but are worth it if you have some kids along. They will enjoy the bats coming and goings. The morning return of the bats at either cavern is tough as it is still dark, but check when the bats are back from Mexico... both caverns.

So. Rock Hound State Park, NM... save yourself some grief. Or find out on your own and post your comments. Can I say it SUCKS, one more time?

Kartchner Caverns... make the stop. The park tour ranger was EXCELLENT and the wife and I enjoyed the banter. Dress like you just stepped out of a show stall... with minimum clothing. It is HOT and 100% humidity once you enter the closed chambered cavern. If you did not have curly hair... you will when you finish this tour!

Carlsbad to the east... do it or DIE wishing you had stopped! Dress for a cooler cavern climate. And since you are adventurous, hit the shops in Roswell, NM to see the Aliens running the shops downtown.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Wow, your review of Rockhound sure does conflict with the reviews of it on campgroundreviews.com. Maybe you should post your comments there:

RV Park Reviews :: Deming, New Mexico ( NM ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Lynn
Old 02-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Interesting. Maybe they're looking for the gold in the dacite. (Dacite presence is always very interesting to an exploration geologist.) And there's reference to hydrothermal fluids. Sounds like a pretty exciting place to look around

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just stayed at Rockhound State Park a few weeks ago. In contrast, we enjoyed our stay there. However, we did not use the bathrooms or showers. Campground hosts did an excellent job of prepping our site, and the fire pit and picnic table area with shade canopy was clean and raked to remove all debris and even footprints.

The hiking trail gives a beautiful view of the valley, and we really enjoyed the desert sunsets.

We have searched for geodes in the park without success, but there are lots of specimens for sale by the pound at the rock shop near the park entrance, or in town.

Sorry you had such a bad experience, but many do not share your opinion of the park.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Rock Hound State Park optiond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Just stayed at Rockhound State Park a few weeks ago. In contrast, we enjoyed our stay there. However, we did not use the bathrooms or showers. Campground hosts did an excellent job of prepping our site, and the fire pit and picnic table area with shade canopy was clean and raked to remove all debris and even footprints.

The hiking trail gives a beautiful view of the valley, and we really enjoyed the desert sunsets.

We have searched for geodes in the park without success, but there are lots of specimens for sale by the pound at the rock shop near the park entrance, or in town.

Sorry you had such a bad experience, but many do not share your opinion of the park.
We had to have been there about the same time, Phoenix! We had left the Tucson Rock Show and were heading east to buy some geology books.

"Rock Hound" State Park... Sure, there are rocks. Lots. But the draw are the geodes and agates... of which nobody seem to be finding. There was a pile of rock just off the road to the park which said FREE, but we did not stop. This land was given to the State Park system and meant to remain open to rock collecting. The park officials want it to become a botanical park... which I suggested in my letter to the system that they find an area NOT already worked over by rock collectors with undisturbed plants. Of course the infrastructure is already there, so I understand the reasoning.

The displays of rocks to be found, before entering the trail system, needed repair/restoration. Barely readable. The park office was closed as it was 5PM when we arrived and we did not "tour" what information may have been in that building the next day, after our rock excursion.

The RV sites were raked. There was water and electricity. There were picnic tables. The camp host was out immediately to offer options to park the AS. There was a view... which I could have pulled off the highway to have seen. My comments concern the purpose of the stop. Rock Hound State Park.

There were other RV's there, and some appeared to have been there for some time. I inquired about agates to some of these folks, with a blank stare as a response... Those RV's that came in when I did, left the next day as I did. We walked the trails to the SE of the camp sites and after decades of following agate float in a productive area, found it lacking here at the park. Maybe I should have hiked the entire trail "package", but there are times when you have to determine why we went to the park... to at least see geodes in situ. At least in Oregon and Washington you go to an area that contains agates/thunder eggs/geodes you cannot help but trip over parts and pieces with no experience on how to find agate(s).

Maybe I am being a bit too critical. Maybe when I go to an Air Show, you do expect to see some airplane traffic. Maybe not. But, after hunting rock exposures for most of my life... skip this one. If you want to hike around the volcanics... great. The better looking exposures are to the south of the park, but the locals said no agates were to be found. Maybe they wanted to lead me away from their "stuff". Better yet. Get the gem hunters guide for New Mexico and I bet that the area to the east of Truth or Consequences will offer more finds.

New Mexico has lots of volcanics with agate and opal scattered by the ton on the surface exposures. We go every year to locations that are NOT in a gem hunter's book... So if you study your volcanics, calderas are very good to explore, you will find white opal and chalcedony. Even colored agates. But... Not at RHSP. But, go if you must. Even General George Armstrong Custer could find Indians. Lots of them. But we left with empty pockets.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Maybe it's getting to be like Petrified Forest in Arizona: There's practically nothing left, only a pale reminder of what it once was as a place to see petrified wood.

Lynn
Old 02-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I went to Lost Dutchman State Park in the Superstitions and guess what. There's no gold there.

I take all of the park names and trail names with a grain of salt (and a margarita). And explore the designated campgrounds without expectation. That way, I am often pleasantly surprised.

Rockhound SP is a decent remote stop when crossing southern NM. My wife managed to find some agates that were not great but for her, it's more about the hunt.

A lot of full timing retirees circulate among the parks in S. NM, Oliver Lee, City of Rocks, Rockhound, Pancho Villa, etc., which keeps them rather full in the winter months. But I would have to say that Rockhound does not suck. It just may not be the Gem you were looking for after being overwhelmed by the Tucson Gem Show.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote