Old 03-18-2015, 10:58 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member
2004 25' International CCD
morgan hill , California
OK. I have to ask.. How do you winterize an Airstream for cold weather hunting? I had a Featherlite SURV (total length was 31' with gooseneck) that was ideal. Heating pads attached to grey and black tanks, 100G fresh water inside the trailer so less likely to freeze. I installed a propane generator in the front compartment after I used a power inverter for 4 trips to run the 110 freezer that was in the back for meat. It would carry everything inside for hunting. I survived one hunting season where it was down below zero at night and just above during the day with heavy snowfall and gusty winds in SD. But now use a lighter and smaller Airstream for "warm weather" camping. So much easier to pull and park....But no 6500lbs of carry capacity anymore either.

1greengarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
So... What trailer do you have? Are you hunting Elk or moose and need the freezer space? If you tow with a pickup maybe a Yeti type ice chest and dry ice would keep the meat cold enough. A good gen set and plenty of propane to run the heater to keep the tanks liquid. My 23 has the heater pads for the tanks.

Either way you'll be burning fuel to keep it all going.

How long are you out for? Boondocking or hooked up somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master
If it is cold enough to freeze the tanks, I am in Mexico.
I used to hunt in November but switched to archery where the season is in September and the weather is moderate, most of the time.
We have nighttime temps in the teens occasionally but it warms up to well above freezing in the day--not enough to freeze the tanks.
We have two big, wheeled coolers, enough for a boned out Shiras moose. The coolers are five day and we add a bag of ice every other day. Be sure to keep the meat out of the water.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I pheasant hunt in South Dakota, but that's as cold as I get. It's usually below freezing at night but warms during the day. Running the furnace at night is an easy solution, as long as you have access to propane. I have two Honda 2000 generators that I carry in my truck bed for juice if I don't have hookups.

I think next year we should plan a trip to moosehunt together in the snow...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Hibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master
We hunt moose with a bow in September. The hardest things about a moose hunt is getting a tag and getting the moose in the coolers. Start accumulating points, it takes three to get in the draw in Colorado.

handn is offline   Reply With Quote