Old 12-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmm68 View Post
We found your comments very interesting and helpful. We are thinking of driving from SanDiego to Cabo after Christmas, in our Durango, without our Airstream. We are concerned about crime and tourist safety and plan to travel beyond the first 100 miles south of the border, the first day. We are having difficulty getting factual info on crime and tourist safety, south of Santo Tomas.

Do you have a recommendation for our first night destination?

Can you shed any light on daytime travel security issues for the area Ensenada and south to Cabo?
The "Old Mill" in San Queitan(sp?) about 120 miles south of Tecate is a very good first night stop. Adios , John

Old 12-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
When Lynn and I traveled south of the border down the Baja, we never stopped until we are in San Quintin. Next stop would be Gurrero Negro. Next overnight would be Santa Rosalia or Mulege (Santaspak Beach or El Cayote Beach) with a quick stop in San Ignacio for a picnic lunch in the square and a look at the mission. Traveled the length of Baja several times in our dune buggy, but never towing.

If you don't like the landscape where you are in Baja, just wait a few miles, it will certainly change. We did lots of back "roads" (on the AAA map, the lines sometimes mean that someone went that way once.)

Enjoy your trip, and remember that "Manana" does not always mean tomorrow, but rather, sometime in the future.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
When Lynn and I traveled south of the border down the Baja, we never stopped until we are in San Quintin. Next stop would be Gurrero Negro. Next overnight would be Santa Rosalia or Mulege (Santaspak Beach or El Cayote Beach) with a quick stop in San Ignacio for a picnic lunch in the square and a look at the mission. Traveled the length of Baja several times in our dune buggy, but never towing.

If you don't like the landscape where you are in Baja, just wait a few miles, it will certainly change. We did lots of back "roads" (on the AAA map, the lines sometimes mean that someone went that way once.)

Enjoy your trip, and remember that "Manana" does not always mean tomorrow, but rather, sometime in the future.
Jim,

I was told that "manana" meant not today. I agree about your observation of the roads on the AAA map.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Virginia City , Nevada
I typed a long response to your first questions that some how I accidentally lost when my finger went astray. If you did not receive it, let me now and I'll answer it again. With regards to travel security issues, I have been driving up and down the Baja for eleven years and have never had any kind of problem, BUT I follow a few simple rules and everyone I know who does things has never had a problem. The most important one is: 'Don't drive after dark'. That has been true even before the current problems at the border. Mexican truck drivers and farmers and even car owners are notorious for not having functioning tail lights and it is very dangerous to come over the top of a hill at high speed and not see the 10 ton truck in front of you. Likewise, the cows and horses like the warmth of the sun warmed pavement at night and you never know when you will come across one of them spread out on the road. The other problem between Tijuana and San Quintin is that it is pretty heavily populated and there is a lot of pedestrian traffic on or near the road as well as a lot of vehicular traffic. You have to drive very defensively in these areas and that is much easier to do in the daylight. Now, with the drug problems, I have been told that some travelers have been 'hijacked' on the highway between Ensenada and Tijuana, even on the toll road. All of the incidents that I have heard about have occured at night. I always time my border crossing so that I am across the border before noon and then I have plenty of time to get at least to the San Quintin or El Rosario area. I have NEVER had even the inkling of a problem and I don't know any one else in Loreto who has either. A little common sense goes a long way. Would you drive through East LA after midnight? Once you are south of San Quintin, the traffic is much lighter and less stressful. From there on, I think it will find it rather relaxing. Be sure to know what your driving range is. There is little gas between El Rosario and Guerrero Negro. Be sure to have a full tank when you leave El Rosario. As I mentioned in my first response, www.bajanomad.com is the best source for up to the minute information on road conditons, places to stay and places to eat on the way down the Baja. Let me know if I can answer any other questions you might have. Paul
Old 12-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Virginia City , Nevada
It appears my first response has been lost some where in internet space, so a quick shortened version follows: Personally, I don't care for the Old Mill motel, the last time I was there (about five years ago), it was not very nice and it was more expensive than other newer hotels on the highway. They are on the bay and it is popular with fishermen. The restaurant is nice, but a bit over priced in my opinion (I don't like places that only quote prices in dollars when in Mexico). They do have an adequate RV park if you are pulling your Airstream. My personal choice at the present time for a motel is the 'Baja Cactus Motel' in El Rosario. El Rosario is not much of a town, but it is about 10 miles away from the ocean and as such, does not get the cold damp morning fog. Likewise, it has several newly remodeled rooms (see: BajaNomad Forums - "Peace, Love & Fish Tacos" ) and at $350 pesos a night (about $26.00 US at the current exchange rate), it is one of the best bargains on the Baja. It is located between the Pemex gas station and Mama Espinosa's Restaruant, so once there, you can walk to everything you might need in El Rosario. The 'La Pinta' hotel in Catavina (The name has changed, but I can't remember it right now), is a nice hotel, but too expensive in my opinion, I stay there occasionally only because I get a 40% discount as a resident of the Baja. I would not pay full price. The restaurant is pretty good and a good place to stop for breakfast if you have stayed overnight in El Rosario. If you want the 'Old Mexico' experience, just outside of Catavina on the east side of the road is a road that goes about half a kilometer to an old farm house where they serve breakfast outside on some tables. This place is only for the adventuresome (expect flies, chickens, dogs, etc.), but I enjoy sitting outside when the weather permits and waxing nostalgic about the Mexico of my youth 40 years ago. Paul
Old 09-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
youngstown , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba66 View Post
I am hopeing to get away before too long and do some sightseeing and diving down there. Will be my first trip to that part of Mexico. Would be nice if a caravan was in the works.
I have the travel guide by Mike Church ordered but I have yet to receive it. What is the price range for RV spots? My tenative plan is to head down Mex 5 then 1 to Cabo Pulmo.
If no caravan planned, anyone heading down around March or April?
Hi we just did that trip last year and also used the Churchs book i hope u got the updated one the other one isnt much good almost all of the campgrounds are closed..Cabo pulmo is nice but it is very windy on that side..Cabos is expensive we paid $565 a month for a sit ebut it was awesome.There is one cheaper spot at 375/month but it is a dirt campground very dusty..But overall the weather tops it all beautiful everyday......
The drive is intresting be sure your vechile is all good....
Old 09-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
youngstown , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
The "Old Mill" in San Queitan(sp?) about 120 miles south of Tecate is a very good first night stop. Adios , John
if u go to the old mill be sure and order the plate of lobster claws they are wonderful...
Old 09-20-2009, 12:34 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
We would love to go for 2weeks. howvever is it safe?
April 1 is a good time if others are interested. the Caravan in the blue beret seems to be very pricey for Mexico.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Lots of good information here.
I live on the mainland side at San Carlos. almost directly across the Sea of Cortez from Santa Rosalia and Mulege and have logged many miles in Mexico in my Airstream and other R.V.'s
I have only a couple of footnotes to add.
The comercial caravans stop in March. If you are planning a trip in April or May, you are on your own.
If you live in the east or midwest, a travel alternative is as follows: cross the border at Nogales and take the ferry from Guymas to Santa Rosalia or from Topolobampo (Los Mochis) to La Paz. There is also a ferry from Mazatlan to La Paz. The ferries are pricey but compare to the costs and time with driving all the way to Tecate or Tijuana and down the Baja. Plus you get a sea cruise and a little adventure out of the deal.
Google Baja Ferries for more information.
The West Coast of Mexico is worthy in its own right. There are two good RV parks in San Carlos and one in Guymas. There are numerous r.v. parks in Mazatlan. Highway 15 down to Mazatlan is one of the best in Mexico, 4 lane all the way.
Glad to hear real information rather than B.S. about safety. I am tired of Mexico threads being hijacked by people who have never been there spreading tall tales.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Glad to see so much good info here. We've been going to Mexico for almost 40 years now. As far as safety, in all that time the only crime we encountered was somebody broke into our sailboat and stole the marine radio. This was in San Carlos and could easily have been a gringo. The border towns have always been questionable but once in the interior the people are friendly and accommodating.