Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
An alternative to boondocking and rv parks

I came across this website the other day. It's an awesome idea. Landowners rent out part of their land to RVers. It's a lot like airbnb, but for us!

RVwithMe.com

I dig it cuz it gives us so many more place to camp, in places we never had access to before. Instead of land being bought up and privatized, now it's unlocked for us to use.

I hope it catches on and lots of landowners decide to list their land so we can stay there. It looks like RV parks can post there as well, but what really excites me is the ability to camp on someone's private property.
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Local governments are developing regulations prohibiting Airbnb rentals. It would seem the local governments might also prohibit this kind of rental on personal real estate. Local RV campsite owners might also want to lessen competition by influencing the local governments.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
explorer

Currently Looking...
Interesting, that would make sense. I hope they're able to find a way around that. I love the idea of staying on someone's private ranch vs a crowded RV park. Here in the west it's not a huge deal cuz we have so much boondocking land, but back east it would really open up a lot of spaces.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
The main reason for opposition to AirB&B is because of neighbors' complaints of increased congestion and noise in an already tightly packed urban area. Hopefully that wouldn't be the case in a rural environment, so maybe this service won't face the same concerns. I think this would also be a good idea in the West, around popular attractions such as the Grand Canyon, Zion and Yosemite, where it is sometimes difficult to find any accommodations, on-road or off-road.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
The main reason for opposition to AirB&B is because of neighbors' complaints of increased congestion and noise in an already tightly packed urban area. Hopefully that wouldn't be the case in a rural environment, so maybe this service won't face the same concerns. I think this would also be a good idea in the West, around popular attractions such as the Grand Canyon, Zion and Yosemite, where it is sometimes difficult to find any accommodations, on-road or off-road.
Actually the real opposition to AirBNB is the same as the opposition to Uber and Lyft. Crony capitalism. That is, hotels and others complaining and getting their government to regulate them the same in an attempt to stifle competition.

I'm sure the guise is, complaints and safety. But there is always an agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Local governments are developing regulations prohibiting Airbnb rentals. It would seem the local governments might also prohibit this kind of rental on personal real estate. Local RV campsite owners might also want to lessen competition by influencing the local governments.
Already happening, a lot of the you can't park in this Walmart is being done by cities and not Walmart and many elsewhere have talked about how this was lobbied into pratice in areas with a lot of parks and RVs that come through.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
explorer

Currently Looking...
I'd much rather stay at someone's ranch or spare acreage in Montana than a Walmart or even RV park.

It may be good for packed events too, where spots are limited. (Sedona, Moab Easter Jeep, Boston Marathon, National Parkes, downtown San Francisco for a stealth van etc).

I'd like to try working out a bartering/workcamping trade. Maybe they let you stay there a week for free in exchange for your web design skills.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Weird. All the sites listed in the east were urban driveways.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Here is something else as an alternative

https://harvesthosts.com/

Kelvin
Old 03-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
Ladylongwinger

1999 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
I have been thinking of doing that on my property in SW Montana, but for horse campers. I have a small corral and pasture with water and household electric,(not 30 amp), for a flat spot with nothing around you but open space, about an hour from Yellowstone and less to a great trout river . But insurance is a concern, as is smoking (wildfire concerns) and there would only be room for one at a time anyway. I am still exploring it, but I may just keep it on a referral-only basis for now.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #10
explorer

Currently Looking...
That's just the type of property I'd love to stay at. I don't see why you couldn't set your own terms (no smoking, etc).
Old 03-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

There's always exceptions BUT…….

I would think that the owners of really nice properties, don't need the extra little bit of money, or the risks and hassles of having someone camp on their property.

Some land owners might lose Agricultural tax breaks for other than farming incomes. There also could be insurance issues.

But it does sound good on paper.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
AirBNB in New Orleans around the French Quarter has made the monthly, yearly leases unaffordable. Owners make more money with AirBNB.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Thumbs up Cool

I hope these options get some traction. Airbnb displaces people who need permanent housing. Parking in someone's driveway or winery probably doesn't. If it starts to interfere with other core functions of a community, then I'd be among the first who'd want to know, but otherwise, sounds like a great idea!
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Cincinnati , Ohio
Good Sam club can be supportive of RVers interests. RVers, just like truckers, need rest stops much like Walmart serves.
Richard Kern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Lewisville , North Carolina
Great idea! Thanks. My wife recently discovered something similar that WINERIES are doing. We have not tried it yet but it looks awesome. There are over 500 wineries that participate!
Check it out at www.harvesthosts.com
And.......it's free!!
Just a very modest annual fee!
SteveTam9310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sounds like a good idea. Down here in Fl the local epa and conservation groups are putting more and more restrictions on what people can do with their property even if you are out in the country. They don't believe in personal property rights.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #17
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Local governments are developing regulations prohibiting Airbnb rentals.
Perhaps where you live but here where we live, just as long as you pay your taxes, they’re happy & the city even runs ads for AirB&B on events posters. Our AirB&B stays booked and being in a coastal resort town, the city is happy to oblige.

Now that’s not to say the big hotel chains aren’t trying to buy up as many politicians, local & state, as they can to, uh.... influence regulations...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Please try to keep it that way. We're way beyond going back. Did you know the county epa is the only agency that can enter your property for inspection, and bring anyone else with them.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Florida , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Actually the real opposition to AirBNB is the same as the opposition to Uber and Lyft. Crony capitalism. That is, hotels and others complaining and getting their government to regulate them the same in an attempt to stifle competition.

I'm sure the guise is, complaints and safety. But there is always an agenda.

Already happening, a lot of the you can't park in this Walmart is being done by cities and not Walmart and many elsewhere have talked about how this was lobbied into pratice in areas with a lot of parks and RVs that come through.
Totally Agree!! Its disgusting Taxi Drivers Rioting (in france)? This is how industry evolves, something better comes along and replaces something else. it been happening that way forever.

And dont people realize less regulation is one of reasons these companies are so successful.

Just hope they(gov) don't regulate these companies out of business.
SpitFireRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I think this is a great idea and something to keep in the wings when looking for a place to stay... I've often wondered when traveling in more rural areas if one were to stop at a farm house and politely ask to pay for a few nights of dry camping on their property if some might allow it. (I've never worked up the nerve to do it though! ) We've see some great places we'd love to stop for a few days if we could. It's sort of like the Courtesy Parking options that WBCCI has (and perhaps other RV clubs), where you can offer for driveway (or other situation) for a few nights of camping as a courtesy.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote