Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
My "second act" is as an elected County Commissioner. Outside municipal corporate limits, at least in my part of the country (TX) there is no zoning, hence no prohibition to using private land for such a sporadic use. That's not to say that if one opens up their private land to a number of boondockers at the same time on a continual basis, that county government might not start looking at sanitation issues. I see no comparison of this, to AirBnB.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #22
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
I like the idea of being able to explore a rural area, rather than the traditional packed RV park. Now if only there were some landowners in Utah for me to try this out.
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Just my thoughts after looking at the website. Full-timers are looking to put on their balance sheet they have seen great things and camped for free. I do a lot of research on great places to boondock and a lot of full-timers give great deals on where to go. To pay 30-50 bucks on a farm..which I grew up on a farm and many of us see them along the way..the experience here has to be fun for that kind of spot for me.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
We could also buy small plots of land all across the USSA, equipt them with fences and hook ups & use them as private RV harbors. When not there: nothing to steal.

That's what I'm doing.

Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #25
explorer

Currently Looking...
I like it! Land harbors.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:00 AM   #26
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
I have 80 acres in Montana on top of a mountain. I'm looking for someone to volunteer to travel 3 miles on an unimproved jeep trail (with steep embankments) to TEST the route... . How about Luckier as the volunteer? He can bring the wine....
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #27
explorer

Currently Looking...
That sounds right up my alley! I'll test it, but I'll be leaving the trailer behind. If the road isn't too narrow, I think my van can make it.

I'll give it a good go either way.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kern View Post
Good Sam club can be supportive of RVers interests. RVers, just like truckers, need rest stops much like Walmart serves.
Good Sam club has gotten to the point where if it doesn't benefit Good Sam monetarily, it won't support the idea...

Just sayin'
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:02 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Has anybody mentioned that WBCCI members have been offering courtesy parking to each other for about 50 years? The system has its limitations (like being able to contact the host on a timely basis), but it's free.

http://wbcci.org/courtesy-parking/un...urtesy-parking
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #30
explorer

Currently Looking...
Awesome, I didn't know about that. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2016, 04:02 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Cincinnati , Ohio
There are a lot of different kinds of RVers out there. Air Streamers are their own breed. If you boondock, you have to be ready for anything.
Richard Kern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
WBCCI has listings of members who offer free RV parking on their property. You may not have hook-ups, a swimming pool or hiking trails, but the sites may be close to tourist areas. We're about 20 miles +/- from Cooperstown, NY (Home of Baseball) and have space for an RV or two and I'll most likely offer a site through WBCCI once I clear the trees cut down by our local power provider who were clearing the lines, probably next year the way things are going. Will also have to check out any liability issues just to be safe for all.
JDB
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #33
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Please try to keep it that way. We're way beyond going back. Did you know the county epa is the only agency that can enter your property for inspection, and bring anyone else with them.
You mean county health department (EPA are the feds)? And depending upon who’s in charge and who the “big” landowner is next to a property, they can deem anything a public health hazzard and make you.... uh... change your plans on it’s use. On the bright side, they can remove or make one clean up true health hazards like dump sites, junk yards, rat infested garbage pits, acres of used, broken down wood pallets, etc... Most rural county properties have little regs for use thus affirming landowner rights... that is unless a pipeline wants to traverse it... but that’s a another issue entirely...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
No we have a county epa! One of only a couple in the state. They are coming to everyone, so look out. You gave no idea how it is to live in a really progressive county. Also we have a state epa.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #35
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
You mean county health department (EPA are the feds)? -- snip --
How about "Fish and Game" if you have a suspected spill that is headed for drainage? Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
[QUOTE=BoldAdventure;1764071]Actually the real opposition to AirBNB is the same as the opposition to Uber and Lyft. Crony capitalism. That is, hotels and others complaining and getting their government to regulate them the same in an attempt to stifle competition.

I'm sure the guise is, complaints and safety. But there is always an agenda.

Not that simple; hotels/motels have to be built to a commercial building code standard that includes ADA access requirements, fire detection and suppression systems (sprinkler systems) that have to be maintained and tested, collect sales, improvement district, accommodation taxes to support convention facilities, transportation, etc., and to top it all off, in Colorado, pay commercial property taxes at three times the residential valuation. Hotels may have collective bargaining contracts in place that increases wage & benefit expenses. So the cost of operation is dramatically different.

So the "agenda" is to include all of the variables when comparing accommodation COO on occupancies of less than 30 days. Over 30 days would be monthly a monthly tenancy, such as apartments.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote