Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2015, 10:35 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
While in the Army I witnessed two cases of water intoxication in two very healthy and physically fit individuals - an MD that worked for me, and my XO (a triathlete). It took a couple of days to get their electrolytes back to normal.

The easy field guide is drink enough to keep your urine clear to straw colored, and eat at least two actual meals a day.

And please, no Gatoraide or other sports drinks unless you have trained with them for a long time in all climates.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:39 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
"Keep Hydrated with H20, not wine or beer "

That's why I moved from 5120' MSL to about 60' MSL.
I want to be able to hydrate with beer or wine.
Not to mention that I can also see the actual sea level anytime I want, so I don't have to worry about MSL

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:52 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Wait I just figured something out. I thought you were talking about attitude sickness, which I am guilty of. Now I see its altitude sickness. Seriously, great info that all us low landers need to know when traveling out west. Thanks
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:59 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Ray - thanks for the thread. Very informative & timely as I just got back from Denver this week & had altitude sickness. I didn't drink my normal 64 oz of water just because I had a long time on the plane to Denver, then I got in late & thought the headache & leg cramps were just due to a long travel day. A little trouble breathing also. The next day I mentioned my headache & was told I had altitude sickness & to start drinking more water. I finally got back to normal by end of day 2 & had a good night's sleep. After reading this thread I can't believe how much I didn't know. Any suggestions on what I should to help acclimate myself before I fly out to Denver again? Now I am a little nervous about next year's Grand Teton & Yellowstone trip.

Thanks Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
We just got back from backpacking: 4 days "warm-up" in the Sawtooths 7-9.5K ft elevation to get ready for the Teton Crest Trail, 6 days, with passes at 10.3, 10.5, 10.7 ft elevation. No problem. Must be the shrinking brain, as I celebrated my 60th in the backcountry with a fantastic view of the Grand Teton's west face.

Have Lawn Chair-Will Travel

Susan

Yes we backpack with those lawnchairs. Get lots of envious comments, saves my bad back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Summer 2015, Teton's, Goat Rock 280.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	244968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Summer 2015, Teton's, Goat Rock 274.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	244969  

duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Become familiar with the symptoms of altitude sickness before you travel above 9000' in altitude. I have rescued more athletes because they were suffering from altitude sickness than people who are not in shape and wanted to see what lies above 10,000'.

Altitude sickness is caused by a shift in body pH. The retention of CO2 causes the body to become acidotic. It is the acidotic state that causes fluids to leak into the lungs and into the spaces around the brain and spinal cord. People who are not used to altitudes over 10,000' take many more breaths per minute than those who are fit. What happens is the folks who are out of shape also travel much slower, acclimate over a longer period of time and their frequent and rapid respiration creates a state called respiratory alkalosis. People who are fit breathe less frequently and expel less CO2 and often experience a state of respiratory acidosis.

This not a pass to avoid exercise. Everyone has a different tolerance for altitudes over 10,000'. Whether you are fit or not, learn what your tolerance is and create a plan for managing the condition and symptoms. You do not want to be at 12,000', take pain killers for your headache and go to sleep. Similarly, if your respirations are more than 18-20 per minute after sitting for 20 minutes do not crawl into your tent and go to sleep. Take the symptoms seriously and get to a much lower altitude where you can rest and reassess.

If you know you are susceptible to altitude sickness take Diamox, travel slowly, hydrate and camp at 6000', 8000' and 10,000" in the 3-5 days before you reach the 11,000' level. If you are feeling OK keep climbing. If you have symptoms, do not hesitate to ask for help. Left untreated, altitude sickness can be fatal. If your symptoms become severe or do not abate, get down to 4000' or lower immediately.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Fossil Creek, Arizona: Public Indifference to National Forests

Eagle & Bear has the word to the wise. Be one of those.

Find the article Controlled Chaos written by Ron Dungan, The Republic, Valley and State, page 1F & 2F, AZCentral.com or News.Azcentral.com.

"Flowing water made Fossil Creek too popular for its own good. Now rangers are trying to save the swimmers and the stream itself."

When you read this article of the ignorance and indifference of a segment of the American public... you will understand why many Boondockers will never share a beautiful campsite's location. The lack of being prepared in the back country can and does find its victims in this long article of our nation's youth.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:59 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have read several news stories the last month or so about people hiking out into the wilderness and then being found dead.....a couple of these involving children.

Heat, dehydration, altitude sickness, whatever.....it flabbergasts me that adults would set out in heat and altitude without adequate preparation....and adequate WATER.

Also, a story this morning about a hiker in Yellowstone who appeared to have been killed, partially eaten, then cached by a grizzly bear.

But, that's another thread.

Be careful out there.

Maggie
Old 08-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I have read several news stories the last month or so about people hiking out into the wilderness and then being found dead.....a couple of these involving children.

Heat, dehydration, altitude sickness, whatever.....it flabbergasts me that adults would set out in heat and altitude without adequate preparation....and adequate WATER.

Also, a story this morning about a hiker in Yellowstone who appeared to have been killed, partially eaten, then cached by a grizzly bear.

But, that's another thread.

Be careful out there.

Maggie
The other hidden message is "Don't go out alone". That includes anywhere off road and sometimes on road.

The hiker was supposedly very experienced, but being alone can negate all of that knowledge and experience in a number of situations.

In my opinion, going out alone into known bear country even armed is fool hardy. A bear can be on you quicker then Wyatt Earp could draw. He doesn't care how much you have hydrated, you still annoy him, and he's equipped to solve that.

Ken

P.S. for those who are disturbed by gender specific pronouns in nonspecific situations, please substitute he or she for every use of he. (oh yes, and him or her for him,)
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Prescott , Arizona
Forewarned is Forearmed

Considering at least 50% of the population is prone to altitude sickness, how do you know which category you'll fall into?
Either way, this topic is an important reminder to research areas you haven't been to before ( or it's been several years since you were there).

While I wish that I would have found Ray's thread "before" I travelled to Colorado this past two weeks, the information that everyone contributed is consistent with what I learned prior to traveling: Stay hydrated, Acclimate, and Pace yourself.

We played at upper elevations (Wolf Creek Pass, Lizard Head Pass, Red Mountain Pass, Monarch Pass, Mountain Village) and stayed (camped / slept) at 8,000 ft. or less. Fortunately, we had no adverse effects but our bodies reminded us that we were no longer in our normal ( 780 ft. Elevation) environment.

The Latin expression which roughly translates to "Forewarned is Forearmed" is still very applicable, especially when traveling to unfamiliar territory.

Safe Travels Everyone

Cheers
SilverBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Constipated... again? Get on the water wagon!

[QUOTE=nrgtrakr;1665321]While in the Army I witnessed two cases of water intoxication in two very healthy and physically fit individuals - an MD that worked for me, and my XO (a triathlete). It took a couple of days to get their electrolytes back to normal.
When I was in the Army from 1969 to 1970, it was not "water" that seemed to be the most intoxicating among those I witnessed.

Since we are covering the physical signs of dehydration, I have to add this. If you are constipated... come on, drink water. It is not a secret, any longer.

If you are not constipated... avoid eating left over chicken that is a week old.

Either way, an important dehydrated symptom for one, and the other will dehydrate you because of the symptoms of another mistake. The solution to both is to drink H2O and toss out questionable food.