Old 02-19-2015, 11:59 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
We prefer the unimproved campgrounds (no electricity, no asphalt, some-no water and/or only pit toilets) but with the AS (as opposed to our tents), we have taken on the term used frequently on this forum of "glamping". We have stayed in a "civilized" for pay KOA CG three times in the last four years. The generator allows us to camp/cook/stay comfortable in a turnout or wide spot in any rural roadway around here ... if we want! As you approach medicare age (I'm [past it) the comforts provided by the AS become even more valuable when boondocking...averaging just over 60 days per season with a not yet retired DW.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Carbon Based Fuels ARE Boondocking Needs

"Slow Mover: So this is the thread for the hairy-chested. Using fossil fuels isn't roughing it."
Never been hairy chested, myself. My hair is still on my head. My brother with hair over his entire body and none on top... figure that one out.

Now Fossil Fuels is another story. After spending five weeks at RV campgrounds and one week in a gravel lot for $6 a night... one thing I noticed. Carbon based firewood seemed to be a part of the urban camper gone boondocking requirement. Bundles of firewood are available everywhere at stores for those wanting to be within a RV Park or camping area to "rough it and sit around the campfire".

Bury, compress this and other organic matter for, lets say, several hundred million years or longer, and presto... Fossil Fuels used in our Airstream propane tanks. Same sources of "stuff", just more environmentally safe. Imagine a wood burning stove in a 16 foot Bambi or a 34 foot International... it would provide plenty of heat, maybe more than anyone could ask. Maybe burning "cow chips" is more organic and roughing it. Eskimos obviously have found a way to survive their Winters, and you will be surprised that they live in structures heated with... organic fuels.

As Ganado explained so well, we all have our image of "roughing it". Some individuals go through a painful effort to show how miserable one can survive in the boondocks. This is for those making television appear to be actual life or death situations, sans helicopters, staff, GPS locating equipment, etc..

Oh... I can give a Roughing It test for anyone willing to find a definition that fits their vision of "nowhere". We and our two Blue Heelers are at comfort knowing that we are prepared when we break the bonds of civilization's conveniences of grocery stores and gasoline stations. Some people I know go through extreme efforts to show their "roughing it" abilities, that we would never find fun or entertaining. There is risk to consider. Many in this category have satellite communication... just in case for a flight rescue to ease one's mind.

An Airstreamer from a large urban environment will have a more conservative "roughing it" vision. We who live in the "boondocks" already, need a more aggressive vision of roughing it. To each their own.

We follow rock outcrops and geology where it takes us. There are no rest stops to find comfort. There may be no established camp sites, other than hunter's camps that can be found following the double rutted tracks beyond a grove of trees or rock protection from the wind and elements and not in a flash flood area, etc. It is experience and from this experience, sound judgement. This mitigates "roughing it" to living within the frontier that remains today with minimal traffic. I say minimal traffic, as no matter where you haul your trailer, there will be others with the same access. You will never be alone, but may feel alone not seeing or hearing others in the vicinity.

Do push your limits of comfort. Learn from it. Discover that you ARE capable and can depend on yourself and company. Children fear only what their parents fear. Develop a sound judgement of your surroundings and make mental plans to evacuate if necessary, what to do if you become lost or disorientated in the rough back country, if your trailer has a mechanical problem, tow vehicle breaking down... etc.. You will live through it keeping a clear mind and avoid panic.

This is not for everyone. Probably less than 5% of the Airstream crowd. The Airstream CAN handle it. It is the strength of the person that makes that next step. The other 95% will chide the thought as juvenile behavior even to consider to take their aluminum can onto gravel, dirt or double rut roads. As one person had said... times have changed and you just do not do that to your trailer.

I said, "no, that is not true that times have changed. PEOPLE HAVE CHANGED."

I leave the rest up to you. I do check in to follow comments made by interested trailer owners, of any brand, and welcome you to test YOUR ability away from the status quo of RV Parks and hook ups. Life is too short for some, and for others, much too long.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #59
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
So this is the thread for the hairy-chested.

Using fossil fuels isn't roughing it.

Carry it in on my back AND a bottle of fuel I could call roughing it. But the weight penalty is high over more than a few days. Going to the trouble of carrying a stove of any sort might not be roughing it.

But all weather shelter, clean water and bottled fuel is hardly anyone's conception of "roughing it". Refrigeration and available electricity take it completely off the table. Telephones and Intenet access make it a mockery.

Unless we're making fun of giant Class A owners.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
New Technology is "smart" Roughing IT

When I had my driver's license at 16, I took my 1956 VW Bug into the Badlands of western Nebraska. Sioux and Dawes County.

I set up an ex-arm pup tent in 1965. I carried enough water to sustain myself for a week... maybe 3 gallons and cans of Soda. Food... canned, fruit, chips, cookies peanut butter, jelly and the other "wonderful food options" to survive. An ice chest for cooling and for drinking supply. A sterno can to cook over, as there is little firewood in the Badlands/Grasslands, unless one wanted to go into the Pine Ridge areas to the south and harvest dead wood... which I had no time for nor need. My technological hand held device was an AM Radio so I could catch the radio station in Rapid City, South Dakota in the evenings. Other than that... it was the best I could do with the tangible assets I owned and could afford at the time.

Fast forward to 2015. I have a new 2015 Airstream. A virtual home on wheels lacking nothing. All the comforts. All weatherized for anything the Rocky Mountains could throw into the panhandle of Nebraska.

I still can listen to Rapid City, South Dakota radio. I can still haul the same food and practice the same activity today within our Airstream. The pup tent was a comfort in 1965 and the Airstream a comfort in 2015. In my youth I practiced the best technology I could afford to stay in the field and collect fossil specimens on several ranches. Now, wiser and richer, I do not enjoy the comforts of my trailer any more or less than the pup tent of years gone bye. It is all relative.

There are those who have never found themselves too far away from the paved roads and comfort of others with similar thoughts and beliefs. I encourage this, just so those of us who enjoy what ... we do... can keep doing so as long as possible. It is among these people that are critical of activities they really have no experience and never will. It always begins with... "Yes, I did it and it just was not my thing."

Well, this is "my thing". I have collected rock over 14,000 feet and below sea level. This is why "spelunkers / cavers" are very careful WHOM they invite into their tight circle. If you are a spelunker, you know. I know. It is something that I tried, but preferred to leave it to those of you who know what you are doing.

There is nothing taken away from the back country if you carry it on your back, your friend's back or in a wheeled vehicle. Packing it in on your back, in my view, is stupidity, but why be critical. Horse and back country packing loses no "roughing it" with me. Neither with an Airstream parked to greet them as the train of horse pass and we share pleasantries.

Today, make the best of your health and find a friend to introduce you into a new experience with your trailer, or tent. The majority of people living will NEVER figure out why you do it... this is 98%+. I do not know why I persist on encouraging others to do the same as myself. Maybe company loves misery. Just like finding the deep pools for fishing in a Rocky Mountain stream... begin with small steps and then discover... you had the ability all the time. The trailer is the Ruby Slippers and you could be home where ever you decide.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #61
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Er, um, Ray-- some of us aren't "hairy chested."

At least we hope not.

Jeanne
Old 02-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Ray, that is a lovely quote.

"The trailer is the ruby slippers, and you could be home where ever you decide."

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Ray, that is a lovely quote.

"The trailer is the ruby slippers, and you could be home where ever you decide."

Piggy Bank

You picked up that line and its meaning. I could have written it better. Dinner was to be served in five minutes... or else.

Better said:

"Your Airstream are your Ruby Slippers and home is where ever you find yourself... and Toto too."

I tried to correct a typo on an Up and Down thread and was too late as well. Everything flows like an overfilled bathtub while you are answering the door bell.

Jeanne: and "long beautiful hair..." however the rest of the song goes. Not all males are hairy beasts. Maybe... eye lashes. How's that for women?
Old 02-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #64
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Much better, Ray!

Do you mean, "I dream of Jeannie with the light brown hair"?

At my age, I'll settle for not giving anyone nightmares.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
I had to Google this tune from the late 1960's/early 1970's. I am going to post this on Beauty and the Hairy Beast under On The Road threads.

It will say to Jeanne... and the Hairy Beast Len
Old 02-22-2015, 08:52 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Lena dear, I think we dun found our people.

I grew up in Bishop, California in the ‘50s & ‘60s. My father prospected and my grandparents owned the Rainbow Pack Outfit near South Lake. Camping was just part of our lifestyle. In my teens I learned how to use climbing equipment and spent every summer exploring the National Parks and wilderness areas in the western US.
The geography in eastern California and western Nevada are extreme but I was at home at 260’ below sea level to altitudes above 14,000’. A good pair of boots, a small tent, a sleeping bag, stove and sleeping bag were all I needed to explore the world around me.
In the 1980s I discovered the southwest. We camped on the ground wherever we wanted and woke up to stunning sunrises almost every day. In 2004 I bought a used Sportsmobile 4X4 van. I felt a bit embarrassed telling people that I was going camping in the van because it was nothing like the camping I had done in the past.
In 2007 we decided to full time and bought a 29’ 1976 Airstream. It is a bit longer than I wanted but the price was right and the trailer was in good condition. We have spent the past 7 years boondocking and exploring the back roads in the western US. We have put creases down both sides and broken the frame but it keeps on rolling.
The Airstream does allow us to stay in remote areas that 98% of the population will never see. I am 65 and cannot imagine not being mobile and out of earshot of the coyotes nightly chorus.

Thanks for posting this Ray. Anyone want to schedule a get together sometime in the next year or so?

Old 02-22-2015, 09:24 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:31 PM   #68
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ray, we're a bit north of you, but how about a rock-hound gathering? We've never done this, but hey-- we like rocks and getting to the back of beyond.

p.s. Len's not exactly hairy. Let's just say that he has a high forehead.

Jeanne
Old 02-22-2015, 11:39 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Today, make the best of your health and find a friend to introduce you into a new experience with your trailer, or tent. The majority of people living will NEVER figure out why you do it... this is 98%+. I do not know why I persist on encouraging others to do the same as myself. Maybe company loves misery. Just like finding the deep pools for fishing in a Rocky Mountain stream... begin with small steps and then discover... you had the ability all the time. The trailer is the Ruby Slippers and you could be home where ever you decide.
Well said, +97 from a 48 ...
Old 03-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
PLEISTOCENE ICE AGE is upon us... again?

The last two weeks of February 2015 for Boondockers Roughing It north of Florida and east of the West Coast... understand. We spent five weeks on the road in Tucson and Las Vegas in late January and found a "three day window" of sunny and dry weather to make it back to Castle Rock.

I have plowed our driveway four times in two weeks after arriving home. Most of the USA and ALL of the interior of Canada was a NO BOONDOCKING time. There is not enough Propane and 12volt battery to warm the trailer very long. Even on power... you are going to be absolutely miserable.

Usually... February is mostly tee shirt weather with some wet snow here at elevation at 6500 feet. Sunny and warm days...

Well excuse me. This could have been an absolute disaster for even the best of us in terrible conditions. Getting over Raton Pass on the New Mexico and Colorado border was Number ONE on the list and the rest of Colorado was to just make it home. We made it from Truth and Consequences, NM to Castle Rock, CO, nonstop and were taking no chances. Three days later... I was plowing 24 inches of fresh snow. Our neighbors plowed our driveway from the previous snow, so the driveway was dry with a white yard and roof.

I am looking into living through the next Pleistocene Ice Age. We are said to be in the Holocene Epoch with the Pleistocene behind us... in geological terms. I hope so. My hairless ape body cannot take much more of this abuse.