Old 01-06-2015, 02:47 AM   #43
Ganado

Peoria , Arizona
When I was a kid we use to walk to school, barefoot, in the snow, up hill, both ways!

Potatoe, potato the English language is so imprecise .... Everyone's idea of roughing it is different.

Besides this is an Airstream forum why are we discussing roughing it as anything other than a joke. I

Old 01-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Ganado... what is your idea of roughing it in Arizona? Why is "roughing it" a "joke"?

Why is it important for you to criticize those who do not use their Airstream in a way that does not fit into the "norms" among Airstream owners?

What, if any trailer, do you find that fits your traveling needs? What kind of RV Park would fit your ideal situation and unique needs?

Why are you reading the Boondocking Forum, but find it a joke? Have you better things to do with or without a trailer? Please explain why you feel that you must post to criticize someone else for how they prefer to use their trailer? Start a thread and express your opinions in a manner that can be understood in context to your experiences of snow and being barefoot in Sedona, Arizona... or where ever.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #45
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Pretty sure Ganado was just saying that by definition anything you do in an Airstream can't really be considered roughing it... It is a pretty posh experience, even in my crappy old '74.

-Red, backing out slowly, not making eye contact...
Old 01-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Pretty sure Ganado was just saying that by definition anything you do in an Airstream can't really be considered roughing it... It is a pretty posh experience, even in my crappy old '74.

-Red, backing out slowly, not making eye contact...

"Classic Old '74"

Probably lost in the translation on my part would be the point that Ganado was attempting to get across in the discussion. Roughing It or using the Airstream in the same statement.

I should have said a Sears Tent and Roughing It... but used my Airstream, anyways.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #47
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
My first tent was a cabin Sears tent my parents got me for Christmas in about fifth grade. Me and my cousin camped the stew out of that old heavy canvas thing. Loved it! The dirt has become considerably harder lately... Not sure what is happening to the planet to make this so, but it is true!

-Red, pretty sure about the dirt thing...
Old 01-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Whenever you have an individual being critical of how you interpret your concept of roughing it... they are crass and find no purpose while towing their trailer. They call ahead to make sure they have a place to park. They are in contact with friends, relatives and neighbors how remote this camping area is in the city limits of Santa Fe, New Mexico. These same critics would not last a week with us. They are fearful of firearms, wild animals and themselves being hurt and left to their own insecurities. They would be lost in the Forest or the Breaks in rough country. You read about these people in the newspapers frequently. They are dangerous to bring along as you become their tour guide, host and repairman.

On this Forum ARE individuals that understand what I am saying. They speak of their experiences that are learned by being in the field, not from a book or a camping guide. Listen to them on the AirForums. They are a very small percentage of trailer campers and even a smaller percentage of Airstream owners.

It is not what a tent costs, your tow vehicle or your trailer... if you have something negative to say about Roughing It, it had best be from experience. Not from a person who owns flip flops and nice sun glasses.

Great post Ray , there are those of us that feel exactly the same when it comes to places to set up camp , and the trail getting there.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:18 AM   #49
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
So this is the thread for the hairy-chested.

Using fossil fuels isn't roughing it.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Yes to many AS owners roughing it is staying at a campground and not an RV resort! I'm somewhere in the middle. Always respected those who really get off the grid, even with a trailer. Once tent camped on the Ohio river on my wedding anniversity on May first. In the twentys, water bottles froze, only ones in the whole campground including the ranger who went home at dark. Always remembered that but never had the opportunity to duplicate it. Too much if a woosie to do that without a trailer. Go for it guys. Peace, jim
Old 01-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Ganado has a bit of truth in her comment. I should have defined "Roughing It" or as I inquired, that Ganado define Roughing It.

"Rough"... not smooth, uneven, coarse, not perfected, make rough, treat harshly.

Both of my adult daughters were... results of camping in the back country while "roughing it". June seemed to be a good month in that respect. As I look back at a large canvas tent overlooking rough Badlands... mice coming in during the dark hours for shelter or loose tid bits of food... that at the time was living in comfort.

Had I been so lucky to have had an Airstream in those days... I could not afford the luxury as the additional family members would have stripped our incomes to... really "roughing it".

I stand that it is not HOW you are camped that determines if you are roughing it or not... it is how many children you produce while camped. The more children... the rougher it gets.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #52
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I like that definition. If it is rough then set about procuring extra hands.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:08 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Maitland , Florida
I wonder if giving up the internet connection could be termed 'roughing it'?! Hm...
Old 01-25-2015, 10:26 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Maitland , Florida
[QUOTE=Ganado;1563901]When I was a kid we use to walk to school, barefoot, in the snow, up hill, both ways!

I know what you mean Ganado. I only had alligators and moccasins to help make my way to school... after all, nothing is much worth seeing or roughing it for east of the 105th meridian... Wish we were as resourceful or independent as those out west. I better google roughing it...
Old 01-26-2015, 01:22 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Ray, for some, the corollary to "roughing it" would be adventure...

“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me adventure is when everything goes wrong. That’s when the adventure starts.”

- Yvon Chouinard, Founder of Patagonia Clothing
Old 01-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #56
Ganado

Peoria , Arizona
My apologies, laughing with you not at you +)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Ganado... what is your idea of roughing it in Arizona? Why is "roughing it" a "joke"?

Why is it important for you to criticize those who do not use their Airstream in a way that does not fit into the "norms" among Airstream owners?

What, if any trailer, do you find that fits your traveling needs? What kind of RV Park would fit your ideal situation and unique needs?

Why are you reading the Boondocking Forum, but find it a joke? Have you better things to do with or without a trailer? Please explain why you feel that you must post to criticize someone else for how they prefer to use their trailer? Start a thread and express your opinions in a manner that can be understood in context to your experiences of snow and being barefoot in Sedona, Arizona... or where ever.
Im not being critical Ray and I so apologize if it seemed that way. I find your posts to be highly thoughtful and insightful. THe remark was based on a childhood set of mental programming. I had an Uncle who no matter what we said, he always had it rougher. It got so ridiculous that we made up,, 'when i was a kid.... uphill both ways barefoot...' as an exaggeration to cope with his stories with some humor.

I was watching everyone's different definitions of 'roughing it' and it struck a funny bone for me and reminded me of that Uncle. We all have a different definition of roughing it =) and it doesn't matter what other people think. Our personal version is the right version for us.

I hope I have made it clear I was not making fun of anyone. And I apologize for not explaining the tongue and cheek comment more thoroughly. I wont let that happen again. I was merely funny to me that we all have such vastly different view points. It is part of what I love about human beings... we are so vastly different.

I read this boon docking blog because I don't know anything about off grid or roughing it. I'm getting an education.

Sorry this took so long to get back to you. Life sometimes overwhelms my internet participation =)

G