Old 12-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The soft generation

Yep it's true - put the average 20 year old in a car with a standard transmission and windows that have to be cranked up... and let the whining begin.

And yet, hundreds of those in their teens and twenties are coming back from Afghanistan minus a limb or two, or with head and spinal cord injuries that would have killed a WWII soldier. And it's almost beneath our notice - especially, how many of those gun toting warriors are females.

How soft do they have it? Even the lucky ones who don't get wounded? Reality check... there is still some granite under the flab.

----------------------

At Answer Center - our business, we hire a LOT of younger "entry level" employees. And in some ways they are dumber than a bag of hair. Yet, given a few well timed moments from me in "Drill Instructor" mode... It's just amazing how many of them suddenly realize that the have entered adulthood and that there are new skills that need to be learned - and they are eager and fast learners. (Plus I need them to show me how to use the features on my new cell phone.)

A lot of them really do adapt and grow up... almost over night. Far too many have parents who abdicated and let electronic babysitters (TV, video games, internet) rear their children. A lot of those twenty something children do a great job of responding to someone who cares enough to explain to them "how grownups function in the real world". There are good hearts out there, even if most are semi-comatose.

Of course some are damaged, twisted or just plain too spoiled, lazy or stupid to ever get it. The number of those does seem to be going up... and the number of spineless parents who let their 30 year old "children" live at home rent free? Oh my dear.

Not too long ago I talked to an applicant who had lived with his boyfriend for 14 years before they broke up. Did do odd jobs around the marina. 14 years of being a trophy wife? The poor schlep wanted $14 per hour too. He's looking for work, but still has a long way to fall before he finds a job that he's qualified for. I pity him when he gives in and accepts that the job will always revolve around these words, "Would you like any fries with that?"

Sidebar: I don't DO homophobic. I was about 11 and was playing with a neighbor boy up in the horse barn, and suddenly "horseplay" was something really different, and boys were no longer "icky". I never CHOSE heterosexuality. I'm fine being a breeder, but I am not someone who made a virtuous choice. Sometimes I just might have been less virtuous because .... (Oh, just go Read Mark Twain's "Letters from the Earth.")

I honestly pity beauty queens who marry at 20 - Women or men. Doesn't matter. Many beauties quickly go from beautiful to - whoa! before they're 30. Sophia Loren being a notable exception. Yul Brynner made me take cold showers until he died. But honestly, about half of the heart throbs from the 80's either need a little bit of plastic surgery urgently, or should have stopped having it 3 procedures ago! Am I right?

My face, I don't mind it, because I'm behind it.
It's the folks in the front that I jar.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
That's it for me. We were discussing "Roughing It". In the back country and taking risks. No matter what age.
How did we get on to spoiled kids and veterans? And we can't go without blaming the parents.
What does this have to do with camping?

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums

Old 12-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
lots going on in this thread but my initial thought about "airstream and roughing it" was a classic oxymoron

annie
Old 12-19-2014, 12:18 AM   #32
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Ray, I appreciate hearing about your life experience. We try to be non-judgemental about decent people's different choices in life.... A big citified resort-style RV park isn't for us, but for people who want that, "Different Strokes for Different Folks."

For the record, we both worked pretty hard for our money, and learned to live frugally when we had to. How else could we have afforded an Airstream?

We tent-camped for many years before deciding that we wanted a hard-sided trailer. Because we prefer to boondock on public lands when we camp, in places without hookups, we've learned all kinds of ways to spare the batteries, fresh water, waste water, and propane. Living in one of the "petite" Airstreams, sometimes for up to 6 weeks, we've also learned to economize on Stuff.

How great that some of us old-timers can now enjoy the fruits of our labours.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Arctic Fox, Now that is roughing it for sure. Even pulling the sled by hand without any dog power.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
ArcticFox... after looking over your two photographs, I noticed you were not wearing the "free" Airstream jacket that use to come with a trailer purchase. My Airstream jacket, you could see the light between the threads. Which dealer did your Airstream jacket come from? Mine has no Arctic Fox collar... only Blue Heeler shed hair. Or did you give up the Airstream Floor Mat to get the upgrade?
Oh sorry Ray - Those were winter images, that why you did not see the airstream Jackets. We only bring them out when its nice and warm.... Here is a couple summer images just so you know what its like when we want to go swimming in the local pond... Or if we want to try a little surf boarding behind the neighbours boat....

You see it's not only about how cold it gets in winter....
We do lots of the same things you southern people do in the summer.... It's just the water is a little harder....

Just getting ready to POP a few waves.....
If you look really close you will see the airstream logo. The issue is it's in white and as a result its sort of like finding a Polar Bear in a snowstorm....

As you can see roughing it is a "Relative Thing"..... lol
Old 01-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Airstreams and "Roughing It". Confuses the High Tea crowd.

Airstreams and "Roughing It". Confuses the High Tea crowd.

I camped many years with two hemispherical tents where I collected rock, mineral and fossil specimens. These were similar or the same tents use in climbing base camp expeditions at Mount Everest. They were two layers, the second covering the main tent and served as an air pocket. These tents survived wind, snow and rain. I replaced these two tents with an Airstream. Not because it was easier... it was because... I am not nuts.

Some individuals think of roughing it requires your being... stupid and ignorant of options and living in inconvenience. I go to the same places today with the Airstream in tow. Rather than using the two indestructible back country tents, I could afford the comforts and flexibility in the back country a "home on wheels" provides. An Airstream.

Having my Airstream parked next to some tent campers in the back country, or even at a Forest Service campground, does not mean one, either or both of these campers are ignorant of the convenience of ANY trailer versus a tent and not roughing it. It usually involves... cost and... purpose.

Trekkers in the backcountry are dropped off, lets say Double Cabin north of DuBois, Wyoming. They pack for 5 to 10 day treks, depending on the time available to them. Following the trail map, they can find themselves at Yellowstone National Park and their transportation waiting at the designated GPS location. Do not confuse Trekking with Roughing it. You can trek into the wilderness and return to base camp, the Airstream. No difference.

Many critics of taking an Airstream or their mother's trailer... off the blacktop think everyone does what they do and see it form their point of view. I find them all of the time in an RV Park wanting to "rough it" but need a helping hand or someone to provide confidence that they can tag along for the experience. What most of these individuals are lacking is... PURPOSE.

I have a Purpose when I travel into the back country. My camping spot is never predetermined by choice, but by the geology I am seeking. I do not care if there are no places to shop for souvenirs or a new hat. Restaurants, bars or to socialize with others with cocktails at a crowded RV Park. My intent is to get as far away from these people as possible. When I find myself at a RV Park I look no different, nor socialize any different from others I am camped. No one would suspect that this environment is not the purpose of my trailer. My trailer is to extend my camp in the back country from most of a week to weeks or a month, if need be.

Roughing It CAN be in a RV Park. A Forest Service camp site. A Cretaceous rock exposure on a remote dirt road that ends... suddenly. It is the individual who writes the definition of Roughing It, not me or somebody who would not know a skunk from a cat.

Whenever you have an individual being critical of how you interpret your concept of roughing it... they are crass and find no purpose while towing their trailer. They call ahead to make sure they have a place to park. They are in contact with friends, relatives and neighbors how remote this camping area is in the city limits of Santa Fe, New Mexico. These same critics would not last a week with us. They are fearful of firearms, wild animals and themselves being hurt and left to their own insecurities. They would be lost in the Forest or the Breaks in rough country. You read about these people in the newspapers frequently. They are dangerous to bring along as you become their tour guide, host and repairman.

On this Forum ARE individuals that understand what I am saying. They speak of their experiences that are learned by being in the field, not from a book or a camping guide. Listen to them on the AirForums. They are a very small percentage of trailer campers and even a smaller percentage of Airstream owners.

It is not what a tent costs, your tow vehicle or your trailer... if you have something negative to say about Roughing It, it had best be from experience. Not from a person who owns flip flops and nice sun glasses.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
"Roughing it" is more often used as humorous anodyne. Especially by those fathers and grandfathers long past. And in use today as one would with a light touch.

An A/S is pretty much the last TT to run down unpaved roads. Some of those, okay, but not in comparison to those brilliant Australian rigs to be seen and read about online.

"Purpose" is loose. I'd have used it also, but it feels to me like predetermined ends. I have the impression that one is to be open when away from it all. And that it is an acquisition, not a determinant. More so grace than through acquired works.

Not being argumentative here. It's more a matter of elucidating some state of being, wouldn't you say?
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Interesting......

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I used to walk into the woods with a Bowie knife, and come out three days later. Tent? What tent? Me and my teenage buddies would get sticks and make a frame, pack leaves between the sticks, and then sleep on the ground with roots cricking our backs, and freezing our tails off because we didn't bring a blanket and it was 70 during the day but 30 at night.

$@$@ that!

Now, I have my 36' long Silver Tube (It's an Avion tri-axle....they are 35'-11" long) with a King Sized Simmons Beauty Rest in the back, a 32" flat screen with a 300 watt surround sound complete with 100w sub woofer. If that's glamping and not camping, then so be it.

I'll let the teenagers built the stick/leaf fort. Those days are done for me. I like my condo on wheels with a/c, TV, and all the rest.

Cheers,
Old 01-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
JimGolden... I am with you!

Home and Roughing It are where you find it. My relatives in New York City find Castle Rock a quaint cowboy town with too many wild animals. We are 9.2 miles from Castle Rock... a robust county seat with some TWO story buildings to impress visitors from afar.

ArcticFox understands Roughing It, even with an ICE Breaker in tow for the "minimal comforts" of an apartment in Paris. It is not the circumstance where you find yourself as roughing it, but having a positive attitude and sense of humor to make the best of it while there.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Slowmover: "Roughing it" is more often used as humorous anodyne. Especially by those fathers and grandfathers long past. And in use today as one would with a light touch.

WE ARE those fathers and grandfathers of long past. Generations who follow will speak the same of us, as we do our own fathers and grandfathers.

Again, I come back to purpose.

I can not accept comparing how the Plains Indians lived as Roughing It, or Mark Twain's Roughing It in California gold rush country or an Airstream parked in the Teton National Forest east of the Grand Tetons, Roughing It. It is denying to the French Royalty during the late 18th century that their Aluminum flatware was not more valuable than Gold... but it was at THAT time. They lived as comfortably as their time provided. Had they a choice of improvement, they would have taken it.

My relatives visited the USA twenty years ago from the Netherlands. They were absolutely terrified of the open country and lack of... people and scattered towns. We accept these conditions as common every day experiences. The younger European generation find the west exciting and I have met some who have spent months into years camped in a vehicle and tent between the USA in the colder months and Canada during the warm months.

I do not need to pay a guide to hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, Peru to be Roughing It. That is someone else's "purpose", not mine. Taking the train and staying in a comfortable hotel to tour the ruins is no different from using our Airstream to explore the Red Desert of Wyoming versus a horse and mule.

Roughing It through the pages of a paper back novel is written by someone in a hotel, interviewing those who have. Ask Mark Twain... if you could. This is where I would start. Even Mark Twin knew that he had not experienced what the fathers and grandfathers could tell him of their experiences. Mark Twain was living it with all of the conveniences of his time. Today... he would have a pickup truck towing a 32 foot Airstream. He preferred to help General Grant with his memoirs, so passed on the Airstream.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:04 AM   #41
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Ray, I respect your superior experience and knowledge, but truly "roughing" it for me isn't something I can do from an Airstream. By definition, an Airstream is "glamping." If you can haul an Airstream into it, it's civilized to some extent.

"Roughing it" is about getting into roadless areas. These are generally places with no cell phone service. Where if your GPS conks out (which we don't own, anyway,) you have to find your way out using topo maps or your own navigational sense. Where if you can't carry it on your person (or maybe on a pack animal) you can't take it. Where your knowledge substitutes for all the things you can't carry.

Roughing it occurs in places where you see more moose or elk tracks than human footprints, let alone tire treads. Places without litter. Places where you might not see another person who isn't traveling with you.

But are we "afraid" of firearms? You bet. Those things are liable to shoot somebody.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:22 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Roughing it and glamping are not mutually exclusive. Both have their charms. When the family comes with me, an Airstream sure beats my previous Honda Element pop top custom camper, or a tent, for all around family fun. Everyone's warm and comfy at night, all the amenities are handy, and getting up to visit the bathroom isn't a chore and we're still close to nature most times. Wouldn't go back to the car camp or tent.

But sometimes you need an adventure, a place the AS can't go, with enough potential for danger to make it worth retelling and remind you of the important stuff. When I get those urges, I saddle up the ADV motorcycle with tent, sleeping bag, freeze dried food and mini stove, and head into the mountains for a few days, and all is right with the world.

Best of both worlds.