Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
The Silver Slipper

2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
Airstream Outdoorsmen Unite and Share

Hello fellow outdoorsmen starting in January 2014 I will be Touring the United States -Boondocking, Hunting, Fishing and writing stories in our Airstream Excella with the lovely Miss Kay & our 3 English Cocker birddogs - The Amazing Crazy Mazie, Sir Mr. Nutty Buddy & their daughter the Mighty Minnie Me
I have in the past Guided & Hunted from Alaska to Newfoundland and fished from Northern Quebec to Jamaica mostly without the luxuries of and Airstream LOL... Now I will be looking for all those places in-between, finding and sharing and giving back to the sports that have given me so much!
If you believe in the old time traditions and camaraderie only a true outdoorsman holds in his heart then please follow my posts - I will share what I find with those that will share with me. Yes we will take a little fish & foul for the table here and there, but most of all it’s about sharing the experiences and extraordinary places that touch a true outdoorsmen's soul. So come along for the ride. We have sold our hunting preserve and the business, BUT I still retain exclusive rights to over 300 acres and will continue to offer free courtesy parking for those passing through our neck of the woods. And if our paths happen to cross then by all means jump in for a stroll with a few of the best birddogs on the planet! It’s all about making more memories at this stage of life! Jan, Feb, March & April will be in the Florida Keys chasing Permit, Bone Fish & Tarpon - Then we may trickle into the Smoky Mts. to find a trout and then start our search for more and new remote coverts of the "king of game birds" the Ruff Grouse! Oh! The bird hunting of the western states is surly on my bucket list
For further info please feel free to PM me.
All the Best Friends
J.J. Valone
BigPineJandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
Will you be posting on this site or on your own blog?

We, too, have hunted, flyfished, and floated week long whitewater trips on Northwest rivers for years and now have an Airstream. Our Airstream has certainly made our hunting and fishing easier at our age, but we haven't figured out how to take it on a float trip.

We are not bird hunters but have seen ruff grouse on our forest trips. We just recvently saw sage grouse this August while hunting antelope in the SE Oregon desert.
cptfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
The Silver Slipper

2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
Hey CPTFISH great to hear from you I was beginning to wonder if there were in fact any sportsmen on this forum lol... I will keep posting on this thread and forum if in fact there is a faction of others that are in tune with what I do... And that # 1 is share info on great places not only to hunt and fish, but also just to relax and enjoy nature with their Airstream (something nostalgic about it that lights me up). That and the adventurist in me!!! I like (dream) about finding places like Fireman's Grouse Camp. Fireman's Grouse Camp: Hunting the Tug Hill Plateau | OutdoorHub

Kind of funny getting a response from you as for the last few weeks I have been researching Idaho - Oregon's Close Neighbor - I passed through and spent some time in Salam back in the 70's (I had hitchhiked there and well remember is aw inspiring beauty of the Bend Mts.) I even remember the address LOL 992 Park Ave N (I believe) Fell in with some guys rom Maine and had a grand time. Came back home cause my dad had a heart attack and never found my way back...
We leave on the road fulltime this January and will spend most of Jan in Georgia, dropping down to the Ocala, Orlando area for a week before we slip down to Big Pine Key for Feb, March and maybe April (Tarpon & Permit)...(Thinking of hooking Kay up with a Handgun Hog Hunt near Orlando, (Glock 21 45acp) little something for the BBQ in the Keys) We have been wintering in Georgia and The Florida Keys for quite a few years now and know the route fairly well...But with new found freedoms I Hope Health lets me see a lot more! Please Keep in touch and if you ever head east or south we have courtesy parking (but if I were you I wouldn't waste my time LOL you live in a paradise of your own)...
JV -- pheasantsontheflats@gmail.com
BigPineJandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

There are quite a few sportsman's threads on the Airstream Forums about the adventures of the young and the young at heart.
My wife and I bow hunt and use our Airstream as a hunting lodge. It does fine on forest service roads but is a little chilly in Colorado in the fall. It does beat a tent by a considerable distance.
This year my wife used her accumulated points and drew a trophy elk tag in district 10 (near Dinosaur National Monument). We scouted there in July and saw some scary big elk tracks and live ordinary elk, but elk hunting with a bow is never easy and we will post with photos if she scores. We also saw abundant sage grouse living in chest high sage brush. I will take my 20 gage for their short season.
We are primarily meat hunters and can usually fill our freezers with deer (They are less wary, but still a challenge).
Sometimes we go to Wyoming for antelope. There are lots of them and non resident doe, fawn tags are cheap. Camping is always available on the BLM range. I can't brag about how I stalk through the prairie close enough to stick an arrow into one of those little speedsters. It is hard enough to get within rifle range.
We live in Mexico in the winter and used to live in the Airstream and previous rv's and surf fish. Now we have a boat. Fishing is better on the boat, but I still foundly remember our days camping on shore.
Hunting season is coming up and I look forward to reading about everyone's adventures.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Did someone say birddogs and Airstreams in the same sentence? Ok you got my attention.

That is my buddy "Trip" in the picture.
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
Ben will tote the refreshments, but then he will want fish for dinner. I look forward to following your adventures.
Paradise Valley, Arizona
kmaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Love your post. My wife and I with our German shorthair pointer Gunther are spending the year flyfishing the great USA. We are currently in OR and heading to Deshutes tomorrow to try our luck at the steelhead run. After at, off to MT for late hopper season and some bird hunting. We are having the time of our lives and wish you the best with your travels. Please send updates as it will be fun to follow
Astw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Have fun on the Deschutes! I haven't been following the run, but it's a beautiful place to fish.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi everyone!

I enjoyed reading this thread and wondered if anyone ever has a fishing rally? I'm thinking fly fishing or whatever -- and if so, do you teach newbies at fly fishing?

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Hi everyone!

I enjoyed reading this thread and wondered if anyone ever has a fishing rally? I'm thinking fly fishing or whatever -- and if so, do you teach newbies at fly fishing?

Deb
Deb, don't be intimidated by the "elitist" element in fly fishing. Pick up a video on casting, a copy of the "Curtis Creek Manifesto", visit a good shop for a decent starters outfit, and go... BTW, a piece of yarn tied to the leader is a good way to learn casting. Flies tend to snap off when learning.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

salem , Oregon
BigPineJandK,

Thanks for your comments. I am eager to hear of your permit, tarpon, and bonefishing in the Keys. Living in Oregon we have trailered down to Arizona and mostly Palm Desert recently in late winter. Nice, but no great opportunities for fly fishing (although we did trout fish around Lee's Ferry on the Colorado, once). We are thinking of a longer, more adventurous trip to the Keys in 2015.

I have fished the famous streams such as Henry's Fork, Madison, Yellowstone, etc., and the Deschutes (my home stream) but I love to go to less fished out of the way streams. A few streams to check out in your Airstream in Idaho or Oregon:
(1) East Fork of the Big Lost River (Idaho): Remote, high (8,000 foot sagebrush valley with peaks to close to 11,000 feet. We camp wild on the river and fly fish for rainbow. Approach for a trailer is from Mackay, ID, -- the pass from Sun Valley is not recommended for trailers.
(2) St. Joe River (Idaho) above Avery. We like Tin Can Flat (Forest Service CG) and fishing for Westslope Cutthroat.
(3) Camping on N. Fork of Clearwater (Idaho) and fishing N. Fork and Kelly Creek for Westslope Cuts. We approach river from Pierce, ID.

We also like fishing remote streams in the Great Basin Desert of Oregon where there are sort of a "subspecies" or variant of the rainbow, the Great Basin Redband Trout. Redbands generally have larger, more rounded spots, parr marks that tend to remain into adulthood, are more orange-red around the lateral line, and have very distinct white tips on the anal, dorsal, and pectoral fins. They are definitely more threatened.
(1) Page Springs Campground on the Donner & Blitzen River at the base of the Steens Mountain. A nice, shady, BLM CG.
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ODFW/Nat...edband2007.pdf
(2) Chewaucan River south of Paisley, OR. Marsters Springs CG. This 37 mile trout stream flows out into the desert. Fish and Game is reducing road access, improving culverts for migration, and improving instream habitat to enhance to fish populations.

cptfish
Old 08-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptfish View Post
BigPineJandK,

Thanks for your comments. ... Stuff clipped...

We also like fishing remote streams in the Great Basin Desert of Oregon where there are sort of a "subspecies" or variant of the rainbow, the Great Basin Redband Trout. Redbands generally have larger, more rounded spots, parr marks that tend to remain into adulthood, are more orange-red around the lateral line, and have very distinct white tips on the anal, dorsal, and pectoral fins. They are definitely more threatened.
(1) Page Springs Campground on the Donner & Blitzen River at the base of the Steens Mountain. A nice, shady, BLM CG.
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ODFW/Nat...edband2007.pdf
(2) Chewaucan River south of Paisley, OR. Marsters Springs CG. This 37 mile trout stream flows out into the desert. Fish and Game is reducing road access, improving culverts for migration, and improving instream habitat to enhance to fish populations.

cptfish
Holy Catfish, cptfish... You're letting the secret out of the bag. Perhaps we should mention the mosquitoes at Paisley, and the rattlesnakes at Page Springs.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
Holy Catfish, cptfish... You're letting the secret out of the bag. Perhaps we should mention the mosquitoes at Paisley, and the rattlesnakes at Page Springs.
Yes, I forgot to mention the annual Paisley Mosquito Festival and the large rattlesnakes in the Page Springs campground that like to nest under your Airstream.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Let the hunting begin!
We are headed to Traverse City for a bit of warranty work and the Ruffed grouse society banquet. From there we are off to the Keewanaw peninsula for some grouse hunting. Well, my husband takes the bird dog hunting and I will be staying at the trailer with the other dog. From there we will probably head down to Grayling for some more grouse hunting and some woodcock hunting.
I am having trouble packing. It is really hot here today, but I know it will be cool camping right near Lake Superior.Everything from t-shirts to winter jackets!
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote