Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2018, 07:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
1977 31' Excella 500
Toronto , Ontario
Airstream on a Barge or Pontoons.

I'm seriously considering putting my 31 foot on a bardge or pontoons. Hollyhock boondocking and gives additional flexability.

Anyone done that here?
PilotTyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amphicamper-Ready-To-Go.jpg
Views:	1596
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	302761   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-boat-13.jpg
Views:	1831
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	302762  

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Well, perhaps a nice fantasy. In California, the Department of Water Resources, Coast Guard, County Sheriff, State Board of Equalization would be all over you for compliance fines and taxes.
Not sure how you would make it suitable for navigation to satisfy the CG. Waste tanks are pumped, not gravity drained, and the vacuum would most likely collapse your black and grey tanks. External electrical generators would be too noisy in a marine environment.
But I like the entertainment value of watching boaters at the launch ramp. Go for it.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
But that's just California, where nothing is allowed, and everything is regulated. Everywhere else it would probably fly.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Airstream On A River Barge

Here is a great video from Europe where they put the trailer on a pontoon boat that has it's own helm, but you live in your Airstream.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
In a perfect world it would be your trailer to do with as you please. But being kalifornia I see many obstacles ahead for you and your common sense project. Rip out the head and holding tanks and use a composting toilet. Be sure to post photos.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
1977 31' Excella 500
Toronto , Ontario
I'm not talking modifications but rather a massive platform that I would drive it onto and off of. And chain it down like a flatbed as I would if moving the unit on land. I find it hard to believe California doesn't licence a bardge. What people put on it is there business? And not sure I would do it in California. Zero plans to run a Gen set as I will go solar and propane.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
1977 31' Excella 500
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Here is a great video from Europe where they put the trailer on a pontoon boat that has it's own helm, but you live in your Airstream.

Exactly what I'm thinking but longer in order to have a deck out front. Love it!
Old 01-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
ranchometal

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Mare Island , California
AS on barge

I have been pondering this idea for years. It's a fantastic idea. You could build a dump tank into the barge, and pump out from there just like a regular boat with the vacuum dump. Also, you can have an extra water tank on the barge. No mods would be done to the AS. There are so many navigable lakes and rivers around the world. Why rent a boat or houseboat? (Which by the way, houseboats are common in California.) Use your existing lovely AS and put it on the water for a water trip. Why not?
ranchometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
If you took the wheels off but left the axels on, it would sit high and be top heavy. Take the axels off, and drop it down right on the deck, maybe better. On a barge, it might work. On Pontoons, probably not.

Calculate the displacement of the pontoons or barge, subtract the weight of the boat and the loaded trailer, and people. If positive then maybe. if negative then keep thinking.

If only to be tied to a dock, then maybe. If in navigable waters, you will have to content with waves, wind and maneuverability.

Seems like you will spend a lot of effort and money and wind up with...well...something only you will want.

Just buy a used houseboat.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
There used to be an organization that ran a barge-camping service, out of New Orleans, I think? Dunno if they're still around, but they provided a barge as a campground, with designated spots, and you drove your RV onto it and then they toured it up and down the river. I always wanted to do that and never did.

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Rent holding tanks from a rental company then schedule them when to suck them out. Construction site offices do it all the time. Search the Rental websites.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Alumtube is correct there WAS a barge company in New Orleans that had RV's drive onto the barge and it traveled up and down the river. My understanding is that the Coast Guard closed this down as they do not allow people to stay in vehicles while the RV is transported over water. This is the same regulation applied to ferry boats. Anyone who has used the Cape May Ferry must exit the vehicle and sit on the deck or inside cabin areas.

Some of the old timers might remember their was once a train in Mexico that took several Airstream Caravans through the country. It allowed people to remain in their RV's but its also been discontinued.

I am sure there are some here who have traveled the ferry system from Seattle to Alaska that might offer insight with their experience.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
This is something I had thought of years ago, as well. 1st time was after spending a small fortune renting a Houseboat on Lake Powell. As the Video about Freecamper from Europe shows, it's obviously doable. At least in calmish waters. Why not here in the states?
Old 01-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #15
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Great thread and ideas. I also thought of puting my 34' on a rail car flatbed. If you wanted all three you will need only a TV, barge, pontoons and a RR flat bed. I even new a RV'er who made a motor home out of a semi-tractor with a long chassis and an Avion. He liked having enough fuel to traverse the U.S. non-stop.
Even though he owned a trucking company, his goal was to never pay for a RV spot. Last I knew he was still at it. As far as regulatory restrictions go, most are written for commercial, not private purposes and may not apply to RV's. There is always the system of requesting from the governing authority a waiver for your particular use. BTW, I have had my tanks pumped out numerous times with no damage to the tanks. A composting toilet is another solution. How about a water purifier for that need? There are options to look at.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Assuming your vents are clear, having your tanks vacuumed should not be an issue. As for the barge idea, a non-powered, privately owned vessel will require minimal Coast Guard mandated equipment and no inspections that I am aware of.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Not to start a horsepower controversy, but how on earth do those European Freecamper pontoons manage to get around with a 30hp Mercury outboard?
Even with a bow thruster is sounds marginal.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
-- snip -- a 30hp Mercury outboard? -- snip --.
Does not take much HP to go slow. Does take some thrust to offset excessive windage, but it does not appear that is an issue. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:23 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
I like it. It might be done even in California. License the pontoon boat maybe as a freight vessel. You would have to check the rules. I have seen less sea worthy vessels in some S. Cal local harbors. Wouldn’t be brave enough to take it off shore though. Coastal cruising might be fun. SF bay delta? Lake cruising wouldn’t work in CA.

Did you notice how slick the AS just rolled onto the vessel? Bet it would be a trick to find a launch ramp that exactly mated with the height of the boat deck anywhere close.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:15 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
1977 31' Excella 500
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
If you took the wheels off but left the axels on, it would sit high and be top heavy. Take the axels off, and drop it down right on the deck, maybe better. On a barge, it might work. On Pontoons, probably not.

Calculate the displacement of the pontoons or barge, subtract the weight of the boat and the loaded trailer, and people. If positive then maybe. if negative then keep thinking.

If only to be tied to a dock, then maybe. If in navigable waters, you will have to content with waves, wind and maneuverability.

Seems like you will spend a lot of effort and money and wind up with...well...something only you will want.

Just buy a used houseboat.
Already have 3 homes avoiding yet another set of bedding etc. Displacement is not an issue if calculated correctly. Top heavy? Not sure if an air stream is top heavy to begin with...