Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Airstream Comfort Extreme Limits 40F to 90F?

Chrisy is one brave soul with a Post under Boondocking- Midwest Real Winter with a 2016 27' Eddie Bauer Airstream. This is the Boondocker Attitude we like to see on the Forum.

Even my wife and I were fooled into believing that our 2006 23' Safari was capable of traveling anywhere we could take a trailer and at anytime of the year.

Wrong. The first year and actually the first TRIP to Wyoming April 2006 was the education we needed to be more cautious when seasonal cold or heat force the Snowbirds south in the Winter months and the... well, Snowbirds back north during the Summer months. We caught a Wyoming Prairie rain, freezing rain turning overnight to sleet and snow sticking to the trailer. Sixty pounds of mud on our Safari's rock guards froze on the way out of the Dinosaur Graveyard near Medicine Bow, Wyoming.

After six weeks in the Mohave Desert with our 2014 International, as a test of endurance on our part, the desert was the only winner still standing upright. Daytime temperatures from 105F to 121F were the range. Nighttime temperatures were 85F to 90F in general. These are "outside" temperatures. Those temperatures within the Airstream were higher and for a longer period of time with both ceiling vents running and windows opened. Dry camping, $5 per day at Lake Mead Recreation Area or $28 a day for the weekly rate at a RV Park with full hookups were used and became better options than dry camping in a canyon waiting for AM and PM shade.

We did get use to the temperature range of 105F and 85F for lows. This is after the 121F day at Lake Mead with no wind and no relief at all. But you can survive if you remain hydrated... probably by filling up a five gallon bucket of fresh water with a long straw. This is a "dry heat". That means you will sweat, profusely... while everywhere you look is... dry. Your body does not understand "dry" to keep your body temperature below 100F. So, do not confuse Dry Heat as YOU being dry. You will be very wet. Try it if you are not believing.

This experience pegs 90F as the maximum daily high I would want to comfortably park my Airstream Off the Grid with no hookups or power for Air Conditioning. With Air Conditioning... you will not leave your trailer until sunset. But PAY whatever it costs at a RV Park in 90F+ conditions that are consistent.

Winter Seasonal camping below 40F overnight and warming up during the day... great experience. Once you are below 32F at night... there is not enough propane or battery power to keep warm within the trailer. If you have Solar... your Propane will run out. Either way, it is unsafe to camp with standing snow and below freezing temperatures for more than... one day.

Many tent campers believe a trailer is heaven sent comfort. It is not. The tent and your sleeping bags are more comfortable. Trust me. I know now. We still have one of our "igloo domed tents with top cover" just in case at home. You still need to vent the tent like a trailer to keep the inside humidity down. A coating of snow on a tent insulates better than on your aluminum trailer... which becomes an ice box.

To make this as short as possible... 40F to 90F is the Airstream Comfort Range ACR for us. Lower or Higher evening or day temperatures we are heading UP elevation to cool, or DOWN elevation to warmer comfort zones. This is Off the Grid with what ever Jackson Center blessed your model of Airstream.

This is just part of the flood of information learned from experimentation on our part. The Mohave Desert versus a Wisconsin Winter... give me the desert anytime. What is your experience?

Heat, Cold, Humidity. ALL must be considered when you plan a trip. How do you manage it?
Old 10-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
It wasn't an AS, but I full timed 3 years in the Mojave (from Newberry Springs to Cajon Pass) and loved it. But I had recently returned from extended tours in SW Asia. After that I returned home to the Colorado mountains and spent the winter full timing, coldest week -20F nights and 0F days.
So it is possible. Would I do it again, or in an AS, probably not.
It is humidity that gets me. Hot, you sweat with no relief. Cold, impossible to stay warm without a fire.
The copilot/navigator is amazed by arid climate - hot but not hot, cold but not cold.
So we've agreed to stay arid as much as possible, and do humid only in the spring or at worst in the fall.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
You have the right idea. 40 to 90 degrees boondocking. 10 to 15 degrees either way with hookups. Anything more than that, and you need to change your latitude.

Bruce
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I would tend to add 5 degrees on either end of your ranges, Ray, but 40-90 is a good range for planning purposes, since that extra 5 degrees is likely to happen from time to time anyway, and it's probably better to leave the extra 5 degrees as a buffer.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
My range for no air conditioner camping in an Airstream is more in line with about 32 to 80 degrees.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
J Morgan, I would add that relative humidity can alter that figure quite a bit, especially as the humidity is higher.

Would you be able to sleep at night with windows open at 80 degrees in St. Louis or places further East or South? (Meaning daytime highs in the mid 90s, overnight low of 80?)

But those same daytime high/lows in an arid climate would be comfortable with open windows and a fan.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Airstream Comfort Extreme Limits 40F to 90F?

Yea humidity matters a lot...

In any case my above answer was incomplete, I would NEED it to drop into the low 70s to be comfortable at night.

I was thinking of 80 as a daytime high temp. I am spoiled, I don't sleep well in the heat. fwiw,I always carry a generator in case things get uncomfortable...

My trailer is comfortable even in temps well below freezing, but the hassle of keeping the water supply and discharge lines thawed is too much trouble!

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Our first night of dry camping with our brand new FC23FB in 2011 saw an overnight low of 17 degrees in Chaco Culture Natl Monument. We were very comfortable. Since then we have travelled and dry camped in below freezing temperatures many many nights. No special prep, the furnace does it's job and 255 watts of solar recharges the two AGM's quite nicely. Small electric heaters in the rear bath and front bedroom balance heating and conserve propane when we overnight enroute with hookups. We leave Durango, CO every January to head to our sailboat in FL, and if a snowstorm should catch us, an overnight at Best Western serves as Plan B. Tent and sleeping bag Ray? No thanks. Well, our Travasack is actually a big sleeping bag, and there are a couple of mummy bags and a portable propane heater in the under bed storage for emergencies. Heat is the more difficult issue. A day of towing at over 95 degrees ambient leaves the Airstream like an oven that takes an hour to cool down with the aircon. If only we could run the aircon for that last hour of towing like we do the furnace.

I wouldn't choose to live for extended periods in an Airstream in extreme temperatures, but like it fine for travel and overnight camping.

Safe Travels,
Jamu Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Will adding antifreeze to the waste tanks be enough to protect damage to the tanks or waste valves? We are planning a mid winter trip to Colorado, low elevations nothing up in the mountains. 1982 turbo diesel 310 motorhome. All systems are either new or referbished. Furnace is new and tested through this last winter and we have supplimental electric heaters. Reflectics insulation cut to fit all glass. We will have hookups the entire trip except while actually driving when I will use the on board generator if needed for electric heat along with the furnace. My biggest concern is the waste tanks and valves. My plan is to keep a mix of antifreeze in the tanks to prevent freezing. Do you experienced winter campers think that will do the trick or should I be thinking about adding heat tape or pads to the tanks and valves.

I also have an onboard compressor equipped so that I can winterize the rig in about 20 minutes should we need to.

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Will adding antifreeze to the waste tanks be enough to protect damage to the tanks or waste valves?

Mike
Mike, my Featherlite toyhauler trailer has gray & black tanks under the trailer floor with no insulation & no heat. For winter, I keep tanks drained & use blue windshield washer fluid in the tanks. Costs less ! Good to -50 !

If I'm cold weather camping, I will use more A.F. fluid as tanks fill. It does not take much to make tanks safe to +20. Much colder wx overnight, 0?, I would want to dump tanks before sundown & add fresh A.F.

The A.F. will automatically go down the drain line to the slide valve.

If there's 9 gallons in a tank + 1 gallon A.F.; that's 10% A.F. mixture. Likely good to +20 or maybe mid teens.

Also, without doing anvthing.....low fluid levels in holding tanks won't damage anything if frozen. Just could not dump tanks until drain lines thawed. But I would rather the tank contents NOT freeze, so I use the blue A.F.
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Winter Precautions while traveling from A to B...

WINTER TRAVELING

Whenever we are getting into below freezing temperatures going from Point A to Point B, our black and grey tanks are empty. I do like Mike's post #9 as I also pour the Trailer Antifreeze into all of the sink traps, shower trap and some into the empty black & grey tanks.

I avoid in winter travel having water pressured in the system. I will keep the fresh water tank full if I am dealing with temporary 25F+ travel as the volume is sloshing around and never had a problem. The water pump door should be left open. The drains for the hot and cold lines should be open and drained. Water pump ALWAYS OFF while traveling.

The Hot Water Tank should have the plug removed and drained.

When parked running heat inside the trailer, open the water pump door to keep air circulating. Below 20F it will freeze up, otherwise. Test it by flipping the switch to ON. If no sound of pump running... OFF immediately!

The exterior shower should be drained and left OPEN to drain.

No need to freeze your water lines. No need to freeze your drain traps. No need to burn out your water pump with the switch ON while traveling... empty or under pressure. Never travel with your water pump ON... never. Cold weather you want the water lines all empty.

Keep those ideas coming! There can be significant expensive damage to your trailer traveling in the Winter than warm months.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Summer traveling & camping

SUMMER TRAVELING

Without power, or hookups while Off the Grid traveling or camped:

-The refrigerator will be running almost, if not all of the time.
-The refrigerator fan will be running ALL of the time. Normal.
-The Black Tank should have biotic added to keep the friendly bacteria busy.
-Curtains drawn down to prevent sunlight from entering the windows.
-On pavement with our vent covers, have them cracked open to vent while moving.
-Cook outside as much as possible.
-Open windows to catch any wind flow... through the trailer... if possible.
-Open door and let trailer vent with the screen door when you are in it.
-Shady side... open windows, shades up. Reverse for direct sunlight.
-Humidity inside the trailer will be higher than the outside, vent the interior.
-Find a shade tree to set up the trailer. Avoid those with aphids with sticky droppings.
-Buy a bag of the clearest ice possible as it lasts much longer in your glass. Avoid milky or whitish ice in bags as it melts... fast.
-Dogs prefer a soft rug to a thick pillow when hot and humid. Or beneath the trailer.
-You will sweat onto your pillow making it damp, rotate with two pillows if possible.
-Did I say... ICE? I did. Popsicles are not as frozen hard, but wonderful. Better than beer.
-Orientate trailer so end opposite bed is facing sunset. No sense heating the bed end of the trailer in afternoon.
-Awning(s) are your friend. Secure for windy days and down to one notch.
-Drink all of the water you can handle. Leg cramps are not any treat. Avoid headaches.
-If you crave salt... nuts, chips and ice water.
-Hot? Pour water over your head and tee shirt. Cheap Air Conditioning.

- Wonderful posts adding great opinions on this thread. Keep them coming.

We all live in different climate zones. Each section of the USA and Canada have their own specific tips for comfort. Once you are in the Western USA in Summer... elevation is your temperature moderator.

Higher elevations above 5,000 feet have hot/warm dry days with cool evenings.

Above 7,000- hot/warm days with cool/cold evenings.

Above 8,500 feet... HUMIDITY dripping off the sides of your trailer by morning.

Work with windows and ceiling vents for air flow within trailer.

Camped near a creek, river or lake... very humid at night. Camp higher up above the water for drier air and cool breezes. Camped next or near a river is noisy, humid, insects and a risk of flash floods. Look for the high water line with brush and logs trapped in the underbrush. Most ancient Indian Camps are found on higher ground above water sources. Especially in the Midwest and Great Plains. Florida... just where most are living today... catching ocean breezes. (?)

Where are you Boondockers and Off the Grid trailer/tent campers? I am a 2,500 foot to 9,000 foot +/- trailer camper. What about Sea Level camping or KC, Missouri at 750'?
Old 10-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Biggest Mistakes Made in Hot or Cold Conditions:
USA lower 48 States

-Locking the trailer up tight to keep out the Heat or Cold. You need to vent the interior.
-Orientated your trailer with the broadside facing sunrise AND sunset. Bun warmer trailer.
-Venting is more important than interior heat or cooling comfort. Just enough venting, but not too much. You will find a balance with practice.
-Use your awnings wisely.
-Your Dometic AC has vent openings. Use them effectively. Experiment with open and closed vents to get air down to the floor. Direct cool air where you expect to be. It sure works in the Mohave Desert with 30amp power.
-Drink water until you break a sweat in the heat. Drink water in the cold when lips are dry.

So not to overdue this, everyone for their elevation and latitude must have some tricks.

Elevation and Latitude are very important.

If you get stuck in the snow during the Spring...it will melt.
If you get stuck in the snow during the Winter... you are, well, not doing well.

You can find glaciers at lower elevations with higher latitudes. Glacier Park, Montana at 6,000 to 10,000 and while Banff, Canada at 4,800'+ are good examples of extremes. Keep that in mind when traveling long distances. (Not 100% accurate, but you get the idea.)
Old 10-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Preparing for a Western Adventure

We are currently packing to move to a "Winter- south home" and have a "Summer- north home" to return. Our Airstream will move with the seasons with us. With luck, we will be out of the Colorado high plains before getting out and over Raton Pass into New Mexico. Just a couple more weeks to "winterize" our home and onto a new adventure.
The test of our endurance for the Desert Southwest during the hottest months of the year of June, July and August was a success. When 105F is just hot... wearing a Bermuda hat, shorts, teeshirt and sandals... with 80F+ evenings inside the Airstream, we can handle it. Your body does adapt to heat easier than cold. I run an average higher temperature year round than my wife, who is chilled with just the thought of snow in the forecast.

Much of this is to prepare those for camping adventures to areas they are not familiar. The number of Canadians in the Mohave Desert, as well as Europeans in their rental RV's was a surprise. They eagerly sat out under their awnings enjoying the desert heat and dry air. Most going to or from Utah and amazed at the lack of... people. When the rental RV tourists left, the dumpster area was brimming with chairs, BBQ's, water jugs and other items that could be taken home. Each morning one could open up a Flea Market at the end of the month gathering up neat stuff. I kept a five gallon buck with a heavy duty seat that fitted into the opening for permanent camping. Even... tents for those who spotted them early cast aside. (For those of you who are early risers at an RV Park in the Southwest.)

I resist leaving the Rocky Mountains. The climate suits me perfectly. The elevation has winter and summer advantages that only someone living above 5,000' can appreciate. Those who ski the high country taking a break in the sunshine, snow everywhere and need to strip off clothing to keep... COOL. Imagine that, it is true.

The below 3,000' elevation trailer owners need to post their experiences. I find the Spring and Fall months pleasant in the Midwest, but the other 7 months not to my liking.

Colorado is a wonderful compromise in climate of moderate Summer heat and temporary cold spells in Winter months that vary from year to year in length. Mild winters bring the big snows. Cold winters are very low humidity and you can dress warm and remain comfortable because of the climate.

Utah, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico for Full Timing with short moves in elevation can be perfectly adapted by most Airstream owners. For anyone who is retired, enjoys the outdoors, the Rocky Mountains have to be the Number One option. Thin air cools and heats up quickly at sunrise and sunset. Once you have been exposed to this climate, it is difficult to leave. At least from my perspective of experiencing time in other parts of the USA.

When coming to the Rockies, you will have to relearn some of the previous posts techniques to keep comfortable. You have to be prepared with the necessary supplies of propane, food and water. Tools to fix and repair anything possible while Off the Grid. A vehicle capable of getting you into... and more importantly, out of the wide open spaces. They are beautiful. These areas are also dangerous if you are not prepared. This is not a controlled Disneyland Park with hired staff to watch out for your well being. It is assumed that you are prepared and understand the caveats of wide open country and can go to places that a European could never imagine in their world.

Much of the information I have given will become common sense when tested by experience. Rarely do I find an Airstream Off the Grid. They, the Airstream, is the least likely trailer brand to even consider getting some brush marks on the sides and coverings of dust from unpaved roads. It can easily be done by "Base Camping" and that would end up as another Thread. Knowing when to "turn around or back out" of a road that has become impassable can be challenging to a newbie, and experienced backcountry camper like myself.

Planning ahead is necessary in the Western USA. Open country roads with little traffic, mountain roads with only Friday to Sunday campers, few people and towns with no spare tires, parts for repairs or cell phone service once out of town. Be prepared and it does not hurt to go with someone else for safety. You WILL, or decide it is not worth trying, get that independent spirit that is needed to slowly push your limits and into the back country. It is worth every effort and taking one step at a time will insure you will be competent to attempt any challenge with success.

The Western Boondocker is eager to help and assist the CityDockers in this transformation. Not all find peace and solitude... pleasant. Those who do will return like hummingbirds on their seasonal visits. If a hummingbird can do it... you can. Try it sometime. You might even come back for a second trip...
Old 10-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Ray, your posts are so helpful...and very true! I live in Centennial, Colorado and remember much harder winters in years past. One nice thing on Colorado winters, in this area...we get heavy snow, but it does not stay all winter as it did in Montana. We were stationed there in the 70's, USAF. Snows came early...were deep...and stayed till late spring. And the temps could be brutal! Colorado is a treat in comparison...weather wise. I love both states for their natural beauty, but Colorado is home. Thanks for your very helpful information. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Rocky Mountains- A National Treasure for you to visit

ColoradoLady... you know how beautiful the Big Sky Country of northwest Montana is... during the Spring to Fall... but also know that when the snow begins to drop down elevation on the low mountains, Winter has arrived. The Flathead Lake gets the first big taste of Canadian COLD and moisture at the their low elevation, leaving what is left for North Dakota and the Midwest to endure next.

Our favorite part of Montana is the Southwestern "high country" that borders Yellowstone Park. The trees are tall and with thickly populated forests. Fresh air, multitudes of fishing creeks and rivers flowing out of the area, like the Yellowstone River. A Colorado and Wyoming environment.

The Northwestern part of Montana has much lower elevations. More precipitation, more brush, more bear, more creeks and rivers and green summers. You can dig a hole in a valley and probably find water with not much effort. Finding a "Boondocking" site Off the Grid is very difficult. Finding a RV Park that has a view is difficult, unless you are at a Montana State Park who have several wonderful sites along the Flathead Lake.

Valley elevations below 3,000 feet. Lots of moisture. Lots of humidity. Tall trees that the Swedes in the 20th century could not pass up with the lumbering businesses, like Anaconda, that seemed to have no end in sight. But, for anyone with a trailer... the brush can be so thick, so dense... your Off the Grid camping might be on a mine tailing. Maybe someone camping in western Montana might help out some interested, but the low ground is private property and the National Forests are exactly that. Dense forest. Dense Brush. Dark among tall pine. You can actually hear your voice echo in the forest. Try it. No kidding.

The Summers in SW Montana are wonderful and hunter camps everywhere and cleared of any excess trees decades ago. Bring "Bear Spray". If you think Yellowstone Park gets Bear... well, SW Montana might claim that the overflow go to Yellowstone. Same with the Grizzly Bear in the forests of NW Montana. A whole different kind of Off the Grid camping with the understanding that YOU are NOT the top of the Food Chain, but part of it.

We had tent camped along the Yellowstone River and nobody seemed to care. There were also no cabins or homes, so it may have been National Forest. Trailers would fit nicely with sand and gravel beaches and crystal clear river water. Cold... water. Fish jumping, but what kind of fly, it is for you to figure that out.

The Missouri River originates in Montana and in the Three Forks and Helena areas you can climb a tall hill and see large fish, trout most likely, swimming along the shallow water. We go there to pan Sapphires in the gravels. The Summer can get into the low 100's and no wind.

So on I go. Daylight hours are getting short and I took a break from packing and will be off the internet grid for a time. The snow is being patient and all we need are ten more days and we will be loaded and taking the "south route" to the desert country. If western Montana is Big Sky Country... the Mohave Desert or Southern Nevada is "Big Tortoise Country".

Montana. Idaho. Western South Dakota and Western Nebraska. Wyoming. Utah. Arizona. New Mexico. Wide open spaces and climates that vary like those reading these threads. Something for everyone. From peace & quiet to ATV and bicycling, hiking, fishing and just plain exploring the rocks for crystals and anything that shines. A true National Treasure and true Wilderness Areas that is still not prohibited for you to visit and stay awhile. Enjoy. Come visit. Try it... you will like it.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Ray, I really liked Montana, despite the long snowy winters. We first arrived to Great falls August of 1970...on the 8th...awoke the next morning to find snow...largest snow flakes I ever saw! Thus, winter had begun.
During those days I was quite adventurous. I ventured out,on my own to find good fishing streams...headed into the mountains...wandered about, found roads, took them, found likely streams, looked for ranch houses, was never refused permission to fish.
So, with my side arm on one hip, a hunter's knife on the other....I fished and caught some of the best tasting coho salmon I ever tasted. Darn, it was good. I always came home with a heavy string full. I'm sure that now I would probably get lost, doubt the fish would be so easy to catch! It was great fun. That was a long time ago. Now, at almost 77, I don't know that I would venture out so far and to such isolation as I did then. In youth, I felt invincible...not so much so now! I hope to get back up there in the next year or so...in my Bambi!
Good luck and safe travels to your summer destination. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Chrisy is one brave soul with a Post under Boondocking- Midwest Real Winter with a 2016 27' Eddie Bauer Airstream. This is the Boondocker Attitude we like to see on the Forum.

Even my wife and I were fooled into believing that our 2006 23' Safari was capable of traveling anywhere we could take a trailer and at anytime of the year.

Wrong. The first year and actually the first TRIP to Wyoming April 2006 was the education we needed to be more cautious when seasonal cold or heat force the Snowbirds south in the Winter months and the... well, Snowbirds back north during the Summer months. We caught a Wyoming Prairie rain, freezing rain turning overnight to sleet and snow sticking to the trailer. Sixty pounds of mud on our Safari's rock guards froze on the way out of the Dinosaur Graveyard near Medicine Bow, Wyoming.

After six weeks in the Mohave Desert with our 2014 International, as a test of endurance on our part, the desert was the only winner still standing upright. Daytime temperatures from 105F to 121F were the range. Nighttime temperatures were 85F to 90F in general. These are "outside" temperatures. Those temperatures within the Airstream were higher and for a longer period of time with both ceiling vents running and windows opened. Dry camping, $5 per day at Lake Mead Recreation Area or $28 a day for the weekly rate at a RV Park with full hookups were used and became better options than dry camping in a canyon waiting for AM and PM shade.

We did get use to the temperature range of 105F and 85F for lows. This is after the 121F day at Lake Mead with no wind and no relief at all. But you can survive if you remain hydrated... probably by filling up a five gallon bucket of fresh water with a long straw. This is a "dry heat". That means you will sweat, profusely... while everywhere you look is... dry. Your body does not understand "dry" to keep your body temperature below 100F. So, do not confuse Dry Heat as YOU being dry. You will be very wet. Try it if you are not believing.

This experience pegs 90F as the maximum daily high I would want to comfortably park my Airstream Off the Grid with no hookups or power for Air Conditioning. With Air Conditioning... you will not leave your trailer until sunset. But PAY whatever it costs at a RV Park in 90F+ conditions that are consistent.

Winter Seasonal camping below 40F overnight and warming up during the day... great experience. Once you are below 32F at night... there is not enough propane or battery power to keep warm within the trailer. If you have Solar... your Propane will run out. Either way, it is unsafe to camp with standing snow and below freezing temperatures for more than... one day.

Many tent campers believe a trailer is heaven sent comfort. It is not. The tent and your sleeping bags are more comfortable. Trust me. I know now. We still have one of our "igloo domed tents with top cover" just in case at home. You still need to vent the tent like a trailer to keep the inside humidity down. A coating of snow on a tent insulates better than on your aluminum trailer... which becomes an ice box.

To make this as short as possible... 40F to 90F is the Airstream Comfort Range ACR for us. Lower or Higher evening or day temperatures we are heading UP elevation to cool, or DOWN elevation to warmer comfort zones. This is Off the Grid with what ever Jackson Center blessed your model of Airstream.

This is just part of the flood of information learned from experimentation on our part. The Mohave Desert versus a Wisconsin Winter... give me the desert anytime. What is your experience?

Heat, Cold, Humidity. ALL must be considered when you plan a trip. How do you manage it?
Once again your comments are right on. Great to see reports from those who do, rather than those who dont. Keep it up please.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Temp extremes in an AS

Well, by chance, I have been in 90+ degree temps "boondocking" in a sense, as in parked in Walmart or truck stop with no generator running. Even when the night temps drop to the 80's, very uncomfortable IMO. Needs lot of fluids to avoid dehydration.

Cold, well, again, short time span, i.e., in 2010, one night in April, parked in Petro near Laramie, Wyoming:
AirstreamREV_2009_Int_27FB_Snow_04.2010-4 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

Very comfortable, estimate temps in the teens during the blizzard. But, only one night, meaning no issue with battery life, propane use, etc. which become an issue requiring more energy input, generator, refill propane, etc.if an extended stay in cold is anticipated.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote